Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Re: [CyberRally] Rear Recessed Lighting

Viewing the 2007 RoadTreks I noticed that the rear ceiling light appears to be a Recessed Light.

I have a 2002 Dodge, 2002 RT, 190 Popular and have the 9 inch round light on the rear ceiling, but not recessed, I am thinking of replacing this light fixture with a recessed Fluorescent Light Fixture similar to the one that is installed in the current model year RoadTreks.

Checking Campers World they have several recessed Fluorescent Light Fixtures that resemble the recessed light in the rear of the current model year RoadTreks.

Has anyone replaced the rear 9 inch round rear ceiling light with an oblong recessed Fluorescent Light Fixture?

If anyone has replaced the rear 9 inch round rear ceiling light with an oblong recessed Fluorescent Light Fixture, what Wattage, and what is the dimensions of the fixture?

Is it possible to replace the 9 inch round rear ceiling light with an oblong recessed Fluorescent Light Fixture?

The present light fixture in my 2002 RoadTrek sits on a Cross Piece, not sure if it is metal or wood in which the Rear Light is secured to, but that Cross Piece is approximately 9 1/2 inches wide, by 1 3/4 inches thick, and above that on the panel is were the AC sits.

Just wondering if a Fluorescent Light Fixture can be secured/attached to the Cross Piece.

I have checked the specifications for the RoadTreks, find no information as to the size wattage of the recessed light fixture.

Wondering if it would be possible if someone with a 2007 RoadTrek that has the recessed rear light could forward to me any information, such as the wattage, and the dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

My poor wife Rose has had a few encounters with the present light
fixture, and I would like to replace it with a recessed Fluorescent Light Fixture, if possible.

Respectfully

Ron Cabral
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Ron

We have a 2006 RT and the recessed lights in it are Thin-Lite # 712XL
All the info:
http://www.thinlite.com/prod05.htm

John
FLSTFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting the info John.

It is a nice improvement. I looked at a new Roadtrek 190P a few weeks ago and it had the new light. It looked great and had a much lower profile than the previous round light.

I noticed that the new unit had a rear curtain on each window instead of one large curtain. That's another very nice improvement.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I was in communication with Roadtrek on another matter and asked about the new lights. Here's what they told me:

The new rectangular lights are from Command Electronics model 005-788. http://www.commandelectronics.com/fluor ... ights.html

It fits into a pre-cut rectangular hole. They did use receased lights from Thin Lite prior to using Command Electronics.

Roadrek suggests using a surface mount light if you're going to replace the round light. They mentioned that Command Electronics model 005-588 is the surface mount version of the 005-788. I couldn't find anything on the 005-588 - Roadtrek wasn't sure if they were available through retail channels.

I see Command Electronics model 005-388 is surface mount.

They also recommended the Thin Lite product line http://www.thinlite.com/products.htm
Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Ron just sent me in on an email confirming the information.

The Command Electronics model 005-388 is the surface mount version of the 005-788.

The 005-788 unit can be ordered through a Roadtrek dealer, the 005-388 is not stocked by RoadTrek, as it is not used by RoadTrek.

According to Roadtrek the Original Dodge roof metal is what the A/C sits on. In that area there is one of the original Dodge roof cross members as well as the additional metal cross member Roadtrek added to support the weight. There is a gap between the roof metal and the panel, but it isn't much. That is why the surface mount light was used.