Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #1

Default RE: Duelly

Hey all,

As I've been shopping for a class b occasionally I see some have a duelly set up. Advantages or disadvantages to this?

Thanks.
elnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

Single rear wheels: Less tire cost (by 1/3rd), a slightly better ride quality, standard tire pressure monitors on later models.

Dual rear wheels: More load capacity, slightly better stability (but only on some models).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:56 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Basically, you are going to see dual rears on a vehicle that would be too heavy for four tires, e.g. the 3500EXT version of the Sprinter. We have an Era, which is based on that platform and it's gross weight is like 15000 pounds. So far I'm happy with it - dual rear tires mean better traction off pavement. The downside will be obvious when we have to get new tires!

-dm
KitsapEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Having had two so called B+s with six wheels and four true van chassis Bs with four, I prefer four wheels.

1. If an inner tire on the rear has a problem, it is a lot more of a problem than on a four wheel vehicle.

2. Fifty percent more cost for tire replacement. Fifty percent more maintenance of pressure.

3. Leveling. I use leveling legos blocks like a lot of folks and it takes, again, 50% more blocks back there.

4. More trucky in appearance and requirements.

5. If I want a vehicle thats weight requires six wheels, I will just have a small "B+" or a small true C.

Just my thoughts.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the info everyone.
elnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Tolls

The tolls you pay can be higher for a dually versus 4 wheels.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
Having had two so called B+s with six wheels and four true van chassis Bs with four, I prefer four wheels.

1. If an inner tire on the rear has a problem, it is a lot more of a problem than on a four wheel vehicle.

2. Fifty percent more cost for tire replacement. Fifty percent more maintenance of pressure.

3. Leveling. I use leveling legos blocks like a lot of folks and it takes, again, 50% more blocks back there.

4. More trucky in appearance and requirements.

5. If I want a vehicle thats weight requires six wheels, I will just have a small "B+" or a small true C.

Just my thoughts.
Be sure to keep the air pressure within a few pounds between the two dual tires on one axle. If not you will get more tire wear between the two tires, because they will have a slightly different radius
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:29 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnomad View Post
Hey all,

As I've been shopping for a class b occasionally I see some have a duelly set up. Advantages or disadvantages to this?

Thanks.
I have a Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 with the 170 inch wheelbase and it's very stable and smooth on handling and turns. You'll never run out of weight carrying capacity with dual wheels.... the chance that two tires will fail on the same side in the rear is very remote... Plus, because of the extra wheels and tires on the road there's a better chance that you won't ever have a rollover.....

People may argue that you have two extra tires to replace...so what? I don't put a price on my personal safety....

So, you'll have to evaluate these things for your situation, but, I'm very glad I decided to get dual wheels....

If you do decide to go forward with the 6 wheel setup then get valve extensions and a good tire pressure monitoring system... it's a good idea even on four wheels, but on 6 it's essential.... You want to know what your inside tire pressure is .

Disadvantages; probably a little less MPG .... it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

Good luck..
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Tolls are usually charged on number of axles. So charging extra for duallies on one axle is rather uncommon. Automated toll booths charge by axle number, manned booths can charge either way.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default I've never been charged any extra fees for having dual wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
Tolls are usually charged on number of axles. So charging extra for duallies on one axle is rather uncommon. Automated toll booths charge by axle number, manned booths can charge either way.
I've driven across the USA twice and every time we have to pay at a toll booth we pay the standard rate for a 2 axle vehicle.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I've driven across the USA twice and every time we have to pay at a toll booth we pay the standard rate for a 2 axle vehicle.
Five minutes on Google will demonstrate that it is not at all uncommon to charge by the tire rather than the axle.

EZpass codes them differently:
https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/reference_codes.pdf
and plenty of toll plazas are capable of detecting duallies.

General discussion (one of many):
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-tolls-32851/

Entering NYC will cost you THREE TIMES as much if you have duallies:
https://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/en/tolls.html

A few random examples:

New Hampshire:
https://turnpikeinfo.com/toll-calcul...=new-hampshire

Halifax Harbor bridge:
https://www.hdbc.ca/rates/

As far as I can tell, charging for duallies is more the rule than the exception, although not all automated tollbooths are capable of detecting them.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default It takes all kinds to raise petty issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Five minutes on Google will demonstrate that it is not at all uncommon to charge by the tire rather than the axle.

EZpass codes them differently:
https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/reference_codes.pdf
and plenty of toll plazas are capable of detecting duallies.

General discussion (one of many):
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-tolls-32851/

Entering NYC will cost you THREE TIMES as much if you have duallies:
https://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/en/tolls.html

A few random examples:

New Hampshire:
https://turnpikeinfo.com/toll-calcul...=new-hampshire

Halifax Harbor bridge:
https://www.hdbc.ca/rates/

As far as I can tell, charging for duallies is more the rule than the exception, although not all automated tollbooths are capable of detecting them.
I didn't say it was impossible for them to charge, it just hasn't happened to me.....

Besides, my main point of having the dual wheels is safety, stability and weight capacity....I doubt seriously that you're going to take issue with these points....

So what about a few toll fees.. it's the least of my concerns.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:01 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I didn't say it was impossible for them to charge, it just hasn't happened to me.....
My apologies if I inferred more than you intended.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Dual wheels help with cross winds stabillity.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I have had two Sprinter Class Bs with 4 wheels and 2 with 6 wheels with N1T, NCV3 and VS30 body types. The advantage of duallies are just not worth it compared to the cons. Duallies exist because you need a 3500 to finish off a van or Class C builds with all the expected amenities. If you can accomplish that with 4 wheels then all the better. Most 170" wheel base Sprinters cannot. I was able to pull it off with a 144" wb Sprinter with a great deal of design and development and upgraded suspension. My 144 2500 is the most pleasurable to drive Class B I've had.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:28 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have had two Sprinter Class Bs with 4 wheels and 2 with 6 wheels with N1T, NCV3 and VS30 body types. The advantage of duallies are just not worth it compared to the cons. Duallies exist because you need a 3500 to finish off a van or Class C builds with all the expected amenities. If you can accomplish that with 4 wheels then all the better. Most 170" wheel base Sprinters cannot. I was able to pull it off with a 144" wb Sprinter with a great deal of design and development and upgraded suspension. My 144 2500 is the most pleasurable to drive Class B I've had.
Davydd - thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking the same thing by going with a 2500 Sprinter 144" wb for my next van to replace my 2012 3500 Sprinter 170" wb Extended with dual rear wheels. Good to know the 2500 is nice to drive - that's what I want next
Old 06-20-2021, 12:54 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Default That's why there's 31 Flavors at Baskin Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Davydd - thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking the same thing by going with a 2500 Sprinter 144" wb for my next van to replace my 2012 3500 Sprinter 170" wb Extended with dual rear wheels. Good to know the 2500 is nice to drive - that's what I want next
I think that the 23 foot Class B is the smallest vehicle I want to be in and the 170 inch wheelbase with the dual wheels works great for me, but, I understand if you want a 19 foot RV.... they sure are popular....

Hope that works well for you....not my thing.... plus driving across the USA every year I love the extra space and weight capacity.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:21 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Default 144" WB Passenger suspension

I don't have experience with dually but this is my experience with 2500 van and very unlikely I would ever switch to dually.

My 144” WB camper van is based on the passenger van. Suspensions are different between cargo and passenger vans, some folks order cargo vans with passenger van suspension option – CF4. This is on 2013 NCV3 Sprinter vans, I am not sure if Mercedes continued with this difference with new model.

I found no deed to modify my suspension nor shocks, ride is excellent, loaded van with driver and passenger weighs (no gray water, cassette empty) 7600lbs.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...8/#post-853612

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...17#post-697965
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:45 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Default It is a personal choice clearly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I don't have experience with dually but this is my experience with 2500 van and very unlikely I would ever switch to dually.

My 144” WB camper van is based on the passenger van. Suspensions are different between cargo and passenger vans, some folks order cargo vans with passenger van suspension option – CF4. This is on 2013 NCV3 Sprinter vans, I am not sure if Mercedes continued with this difference with new model.

I found no deed to modify my suspension nor shocks, ride is excellent, loaded van with driver and passenger weighs (no gray water, cassette empty) 7600lbs.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...8/#post-853612

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...17#post-697965
In my opinion, I think it's safer with the dual wheels for turning, stability, traction ( there's twice the rubber on the road) and of course the weight capacity. I don't think there's any argument here on that point.

For some people who don't drive on the Interstate highways or travel shorter distances, maybe the two wheel gasoline engine options are better suited for their needs. I'm traveling once per year 2,500 to 3,000 miles one way and I appreciate the extra space, storage, weight and stability of the dual wheels . I don't care if it gets less MPG; and I get 19 to 20 MPG on the open road.... which is not bad....

4 feet is a lot in a vehicle like this... there's not a lot of interior space even in my 22 foot 9 inch Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500...... YES, it's a cargo van conversion....

It rides very smoothly, so, when I read what people are posting about the ride quality of the 19 foot vans being so much better.....I have to wonder how much better are you talking about ... really?

If I wanted a super smooth ride that's quiet, and faster... heck, I might as well take my Subaru Outback and just stay in hotels or fly. Jet aircraft is way smoother.....

So what's your point?!!!
Old 06-20-2021, 02:09 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
In my opinion, I think it's safer with the dual wheels for turning, stability, traction ( there's twice the rubber on the road) and of course the weight capacity. I don't think there's any argument here on that point.

For some people who don't drive on the Interstate highways or travel shorter distances, maybe the two wheel gasoline engine options are better suited for their needs. I'm traveling once per year 2,500 to 3,000 miles one way and I appreciate the extra space, storage, weight and stability of the dual wheels . I don't care if it gets less MPG; and I get 19 to 20 MPG on the open road.... which is not bad....

4 feet is a lot in a vehicle like this... there's not a lot of interior space even in my 22 foot 9 inch Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500...... YES, it's a cargo van conversion....

It rides very smoothly, so, when I read what people are posting about the ride quality of the 19 foot vans being so much better.....I have to wonder how much better are you talking about ... really?

If I wanted a super smooth ride that's quiet, and faster... heck, I might as well take my Subaru Outback and just stay in hotels or fly. Jet aircraft is way smoother.....

So what's your point?!!!
All negatives for dually already stated in this thread, please review them.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote