Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Lee

Default Reaching the top of my roadtrek

Looking for suggestions on reaching the top of my roadtrek for cleaning and maintance purposes. There are three small windows in the front of the roof and also it is suggested you wax your roadtrek once a year. What is the safest was to do this?
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Reaching the top of my roadtrek

I used a 6' ladder that I had secured a pad of high density foam at the top edge. I would lean the ladder against the side of my Roadtrek with the foam against the van. Lean it against areas that are strong enough and won't dent! You can get to the entire roof that way by moving the ladder to a few different places on each side. A 7' ladder might be better - I only had a 6'. I think it is safer to lean the ladder against the van than trying to use it stand-alone and reach across.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I used a 6' ladder that I had secured a pad of high density foam at the top edge. I would lean the ladder against the side of my Roadtrek with the foam against the van. Lean it against areas that are strong enough and won't dent! You can get to the entire roof that way by moving the ladder to a few different places on each side. A 7' ladder might be better - I only had a 6'. I think it is safer to lean the ladder against the van than trying to use it stand-alone and reach across.
We do the same, but use an 8" stepladder with two layers of 1" styrofoam taped on. You can get higher, safer with the taller ladder. We use a "Washstick" to do to the washing from the ladder, but we can also reach the entire roof this way.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Funny this topic came up, for the wife and I just finished bringing a 10' that we have to start working on our top. It was left over from the TT days....and has proved worthwhile. I have also been using a aluminum expandable paint pole with a brush on the end - I makes doing the top a breeze. Safe travels.