Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2023, 02:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Really

Is this really a 109 AH Deep Cycle battery?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...e&athbdg=L1103

My current house battery bit the dust and I am needing a new one. Looks like the same manufacturer as Autozone Brand and Die Hard - Johnson Controls or Clarios or whoever.....

SPECS FROM WEBSITE

Product details

Stay on the go with this EverStart Lead Acid Marine/RV Deep Cycle Battery, Group Size 27DC. It's designed for use with a boat or an RV and is rated at 750 MCA and 109 amp hour. This EverStart battery features improved cycling capacity extending the amount of time it will last. This means it will allow a boat to stay out on the water for a longer time.

EverStart Lead Acid Marine/RV Deep Cycle Battery, Group Size 27DC:

1 Year free replacement warranty
12-volt marine deep cycle battery
750 MCA
109 amp hour
Dual post
Superior cycling and recharge capabilities
Battery is maintenance free under normal operating conditions
Free battery testing and installation at your local Walmart Auto Care Center
If you need to get rid of your old battery, there is free lead acid battery recycling at your local Walmart
Old 01-14-2023, 04:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It probably is, but it is also almost certainly not a true deep cycle battery and most likely a combo battery. Most likely an Exide, and the same as Costco now appears to sell as an Interstate also. I had two from Costco and they both failed within a year of use a starter in the van.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It probably is, but it is also almost certainly not a true deep cycle battery and most likely a combo battery. Most likely an Exide, and the same as Costco now appears to sell as an Interstate also. I had two from Costco and they both failed within a year of use a starter in the van.
booster, a 50.3 lb lead acid battery has 109 amp hours with a 20 hr rating?

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Read the reviews on that Walmart battery. They are probably pretty accurate.

If I needed that battery today locally, I would probably buy this AGM battery with a 30 month warranty. You get what you pay for.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...le/sli27magmdc
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:13 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Read the reviews on that Walmart battery. They are probably pretty accurate.

If I needed that battery today locally, I would probably buy this AGM battery with a 30 month warranty. You get what you pay for.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...le/sli27magmdc
The battery you cite weighs 14 pounds, 26% more than the Walmart battery, yet has few amp hours. I have not read any evidence that the Walmart battery has 109 amp hours at 20 hours.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It is possible to do the ah rating I think in a gp27 case as we had two Trojan gp 27s that did that also. They also did not behave like other Trojans we had, charging faster, discharging faster and not lasting very long.

My guess is that they are using very light light, high surface area plates to get capacity and those just don't last very long in most cases. Many in gp24 and gp27 are also the low water use chemistry and that also seems to shorten life.

Of course we could also be looking at an ah rating at other than the standard 20 hour rate. Unless stated, it could be any rating and a 100 hour rating would probably add 20% to the capacity.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/scs200/
Old 01-14-2023, 08:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The Batteries Plus Duracell AGM battery I mentioned above is made by East Penn. I think it is the exact same battery that Sportsmobile installed in my van in 2017 and is still working fine. Mine is labeled a Deka Intimidator battery also made by East Penn with the exact same specifications. As I recall, there are several brand labels on the AGM batteries made by East Penn. I would definitely buy these same batteries again and would probably get them from the local Batteries Plus store since it is handy and they have good replacement warranties.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
The Batteries Plus Duracell AGM battery I mentioned above is made by East Penn. I think it is the exact same battery that Sportsmobile installed in my van in 2017 and is still working fine. Mine is labeled a Deka Intimidator battery also made by East Penn with the exact same specifications. As I recall, there are several brand labels on the AGM batteries made by East Penn. I would definitely buy these same batteries again and would probably get them from the local Batteries Plus store since it is handy and they have good replacement warranties.
Another handy source of white-labelled East Penn batteries is NAPA. I, too, have had good luck with both NAPA and Batteries Plus. From what I can tell East Penn is a quality manufacturer.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Another handy source of white-labelled East Penn batteries is NAPA. I, too, have had good luck with both NAPA and Batteries Plus. From what I can tell East Penn is a quality manufacturer.

That is where the current starting battery is from for the van. It has been trouble free to this point. East Penn has an excellent reputation.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
i went out and checked looks like a die hard at advance auto and/or the autozone brand dont believe those are exides also the one that died on me was made by east penn
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:55 PM   #11
Platinum Member

starting to consider going this route if I am able.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...trek-1900.html
Old 01-15-2023, 09:25 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Walmart uses a 100 hour rate to come up with their inflated AH numbers.

I had bought a group 29 Maxx "deep cycle" about 4+ years ago. It said deep cycle on the case. I assume it has better construction than the non-Maxx battery as it states 30% more cycles and has/had a two year warranty.

It was still performing well after 2+ years when we sold the RT. We rarely discharged to/below 50% and had solar and a Progressive multi stage converter/charger.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:08 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
starting to consider going this route if I am able.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...trek-1900.html

It is a lot of work to do, but a very good way to get increased capacity.

Be sure to check to see if the larger doors are available before starting cutting as Roadtrek from that era is gone and you might not be able to find one. Mobilelife in Kithchener might have some.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:04 PM   #14
Gold Member

Quote:
It is a lot of work to do, but a very good way to get increased capacity.

Be sure to check to see if the larger doors are available before starting cutting as Roadtrek from that era is gone and you might not be able to find one. Mobilelife in Kithchener might have some.
Good points on that for sure. Maybe it is a bit too much of a risk to take on. Might just be better off putting a "pseudo" group 27 in that space and call it a day. If I can get 2 years out of two of those for $200.00 I can live with that although it is not the optimal way to go.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:14 PM   #15
Platinum Member

From my experience, if you only get 2 years out of an AGM battery, you either bought the wrong battery or you didn't care for it properly. Of course, if you buy the right battery and it dies in 2 years, you will get a brand new one because it will still be on a replacement warranty.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:37 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
Good points on that for sure. Maybe it is a bit too much of a risk to take on. Might just be better off putting a "pseudo" group 27 in that space and call it a day. If I can get 2 years out of two of those for $200.00 I can live with that although it is not the optimal way to go.
Kurt, I was able to replace the batteries with (2) 100 amp agm batteries.

I removed the tray behind the back wheel of my 05 190, with no tray in the other location. A tight fit in height with not many agm's fitting.

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Roadtrek is also happy with 80 lb's rear and 65 lb's in the rear!

Bud
Old 01-16-2023, 02:44 PM   #17
Gold Member

The Everstart Deep Cycle batteries at Walmart are $93.00 each and have a 1 year warranty. They probably reduced the quantity of lead in these and kept the price the same. If I go this route I am going to beat the crap out of one and see how much abuse it will take in one year

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 01-16-2023, 02:46 PM   #18
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Kurt, I was able to replace the batteries with (2) 100 amp agm batteries.

I removed the tray behind the back wheel of my 05 190, with no tray in the other location. A tight fit in height with not many agm's fitting.

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Roadtrek is also happy with 80 lb's rear and 65 lb's in the rear!

Bud
Bud - what kind of performance are you getting out of your setup? Are you good for a few days constant use of the lights and fans etc....

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 01-16-2023, 03:17 PM   #19
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
Bud - what kind of performance are you getting out of your setup? Are you good for a few days constant use of the lights and fans etc....
I replaced 2 Walmart marine/deep cycle batteries after 5.5 years as the amp hours appeared to be down during hurricane Ida, 6 days with no power in my driveway, the 5 days in different driveway with shore power.

I do not have a monitor other than 2 battery voltage meters. I learned the battery sag for determining state of charge with different loads, worked well. The new agm's had Noticeably more watt hours vs the marine batteries, and I could go below a 50% state of charge providing a Lot more watt hours. So far I have not gone much below a 50% state of charge.

Can't really help with your application, but watt hours are watt hours.

Me, I'm lazy at times. I would do it over again and if I stay more than 2 or 3 days, I'll just start the van's engine - not the LOUD onan.

If not having fun with a project, I'll usually skip it. The project you're considering would not be worth it for me, not enough more amp hours.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:00 PM   #20
Gold Member

Can't argue your logic I will probably just install the pigtail from my battery tender and use my volt meter to check every few days and when the voltage drops below 12.6 plug the tender in. Or just leave the tender plugged in constantly as it will go to float as needed. Just wondering if having the tender connected will cause any issues due to the battery also being connected to the Centurion 3000 unit in my van.

Interestingly, the Centurion label states that the battery charger will automatically stop charging when it senses the correct battery voltage. I believe that this unit is a 2 stage charger, which as I understand it is sufficient if the unit is only charging the battery - i.e. plugged into shore power while in storage. However, when this is not the case, the other items in the DC circuit will cause the charger to keep charging the battery if there are other DC items in use. In other words - if storing the RV my Centurion 3000 should be OK, but if using the RV I am at risk of boiling the electrolyte.

www.roadtrek190.com