Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 11:12 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Hi Doneworking,

If using shore power do you use the heat pump?

If boondocking, do you run the heat pump, generator?

Bud

Bud, I use it only on shore power except I use it to exercise the generator during the winter months. Boondocking, we use the lpg furnace. We sleep in sleeping bags in cooler weather and simply don't like to boondock in real cold weather...........got too old!
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Can someone of you point us to a Tutorial for R&R of the Cool Cat?

None of my searches find an actual how-to guide.

Appreciated...
Old 04-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Toad View Post
Can someone of you point us to a Tutorial for R&R of the Cool Cat?

None of my searches find an actual how-to guide.

Appreciated...
www.classbforum.com/forums/f8/roadtrek-cool-cat-replacement-9454.html
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:52 PM   #24

Default How do you remove the AC unit?

Hey Roadtrek Rich and others who might have thoughts on this... I just bought a 2005 Xplorer 230XLW. We have a fedders ac unit and the fan isn't kicking on. After taking off the front I'm able to hand push the fan and then it works okay. It does seem to still be cooling. I'd like to just take out the unit and replace the whole thing. Although I can't find anything about how to remove the unit. It's in the wall not a roof unit. Do you have any suggestions/ideas of how to get it out? Do I need to take out all the rivets? Does it come out through the coach compartment or one of the vent compartments outside the van?

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Rich View Post
Anything is possible but it would probably be more cost effective to remove the old one and install a new one.
It was very thoughtful of Roadtrek to use a widely available, low cost household window air conditioner in these models.
I removed my "still working" 25 year Fedders unit in favor of a Frigidaire unit with the ability to draw much lower amperage at startup and thus use a small 1000 watt portable generator to operate it.
If you are going to a shop to have work performed, they would probably need to remove the ac unit to recharge it anyway. If that is even possible.
The frigidaire unit I got fits the space but requires a little rework to the baffle system controlling the incoming/outgoing airflow. Very easy to do.

The model number is FFRA051WAE

It's currently $184.00 on amazon.
nixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:57 AM   #25
Platinum Member

May just be the capacitor...why replace the entire thing?
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:03 AM   #26
Gold Member

I replaced my Fedders in my 230XLW with a 8000BTU LG model. I'm on the road right now so can't provide the model number. The face dimensions are almost exactly the same as the Fedders, but it is deeper so you will have to modify the exit baffles, and it is important to keep them. Mine is digital, with the touch controls and temp readout on the upper right of the face, and it has a remote. I think it was about $230, maybe a little more, but oh so worth it. Cools the interior in 100 degree heat, only pulls about an amp more than the Fedders, and has a softer start. When the compressor kicks in my 2.8KW Onan hardly feels it. I took the old one out from the front and installed the new one that way as well. Further modifications are required, like moving the AC mounting flange forward a bit, doing a small amount of fiberglass cutting, and resealing. I used a combination of a very stiff closed cell foam and silicone. It is very important to completely seal the face of the unit.
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #27

Can you explain how you access and remove the existing a/c in the Dodge Xplorer? Does one access it from outside or inside somehow?
Tod-a-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #28
Gold Member

My 230 XLW Required removing the rear grate, removing the baffle system from the rear of the van (outside) And then removing the trim around the face of the air conditioner inside and pulling the unit out of its spot from the inside of the van.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #29

Thanks for your response! Is there a trick to removing the vinyl trim inside and reinstalling it without destroying it?
Old 07-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #30
Gold Member

The trim is held on by screws that should be covered with little vinyl caps, if it’s the same as mine. You might find that there is a little glue also holding them on, so careful prying might also be required.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:46 PM   #31

Default A/C removal

Perfect! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthocleod View Post
I can't get mine to work.

Hi and Welcome

what do you have, what have you tried ?
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthocleod View Post
Recharging the air conditioner I think is part of the responsibility of every driver. Especially if he loves to drive having a comfortable and pleasant car. Even more so if you have to travel a lot by car when it's hot, or it's not nice time. I personally can't without air conditioning. Periodically I clean my conditioner and feed on freon from https://www.socool.sg/pricing/, I never happened to have any failures or later to have to go back to fix something. The more that there is a well-established price list that offers a different type of safety for the customer
Welcome to forum anthocleod!

Texan doesn't seem to be your first language. Do you speak bot?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote