Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

Default Rear Windshield Wipers

I have a 2018 Dodge Promaster Roadtrek Simplicity. It did not come with rear windshield wipers and I would now like to get them installed. I contacted Roadtrek and they responded with "We do not have access to any kit that would put rear wipers on the vehicle."

Does anyone have a recommendation on whether this is possible? It seems crazy to not be able to install.
Alisa Bondurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Dodge does not make the Promaster. Try your local Ram Truck dealer.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:54 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa Bondurant View Post
I have a 2018 Dodge Promaster Roadtrek Simplicity. It did not come with rear windshield wipers and I would now like to get them installed. I contacted Roadtrek and they responded with "We do not have access to any kit that would put rear wipers on the vehicle."

Does anyone have a recommendation on whether this is possible? It seems crazy to not be able to install.
I've never seen that option so not sure it exists.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:24 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I have rear windows wipers ordered from the factory. It was a few hundred $ option so adding them could be rather expensive if realistically possible.

If you want to increase visibility through the rear windows, I found Fresnel lenses very useful. I like them a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR02212.jpg (556.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03154.jpg (603.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03155.jpg (637.8 KB, 6 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
Platinum Member

All of our last 6 or 7 daily-driver vehicles have had rear wipers (we gravitate toward station wagon/minivan/SUV body styles). I personally find them more trouble than they’re worth: easily damaged, trap dirt and leaves, prevent snow from sliding off, often smear rather than clear, hard/expensive to replace blades on some, and limited field of view. One became such a nuisance I paid to have it removed. I certainly would not pay good money to add one (and twice to add two on split cargo doors). They really need a washer to be much use.

If you do decide to proceed I agree a Ram Promaster dealer is the place to start. They can tell you if it was offered as an option and whether it's possible to retrofit. I also did a quick search on "universal rear window wipers" and found some parts- motors and arms- you might cobble together and build your own if you're so inclined. Anything non-factory will detract from resale value.

I had one of those lenses on a previous van I owned, and I agree they work well, though they will become dirty along with the window and the rest of the back of the van. They address a different problem.

A rear camera that can be activated when moving forward is another option. Yes, it will get dirty, too, but it’s fairly small and quick to clean at each gas/rest stop. A high-mount camera (over the cargo doors) will accumulate less road spray.

For myself, I am best friends with my side mirrors. If an 18-wheeler can navigate safely with only side mirrors, surely I can too.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I have had good luck with rainx , follow directions and clean window beforehand!
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Anythings possible if you want to throw the $ at it. I did add a rear wiper to a hatch back car I had years ago. Bought wiper motor from another car at the auto wreckers and installed. It worked well but I have had rear wipers and washers on many cars/truck now and generally as someone else said they tend to smear the window dirt around without a washer. It’s not something I would add. Our old VW Westfalia had it from factory and we actually never used it - not once, the window stayed pretty clean between fill ups when I would clean the rear window and taillights along with the windscreen.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

LOL....I'm always amazed at the mods people want to do...maybe hire a little person to wipe the back windows
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windshield wipers