Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Rearview/Backup Camera Recommendations

I wish to install a rearview/backup camera on my Dodge 2002 Leisure Travel van. What features should I look for? Do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

As I needed both a GPS and a back up camera I bought a Garmin RV 760 lmt.
You hook the power lead for the camera to a backup light wire at one of the rear lights. The video is wireless. The backup grids are adjustable for your vehicle. The GPS is designed for a RV, you set the RV sizes and it warns of possible problems ahead.
It has worked great for me.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It depends on how much money you want to spend. I bought a "one time special" 7 inch wireless display and camera at Sams Club several years ago for sixty bucks. I elected to wire it direct to the running light circuit on my 2007 Roadtrek 210P so it is on whenever the van motor is running. It is perfectly clear and works fine. I want it on when I am going down the road so I can see who or what is behind me as well as monitoring a hitch carrier if I am using one of them. Of course, it also is great for backing up as well.

I once had a Sony hardwired on a 24 foot Class B+ that came with the rig for a thousand bucks (option). The Sams Club display is much clearer and more useful IMO.

There are lots of choices available on Amazon, both hard wired and wireless.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Thank you for the responses

I have wondered how the less expensive units perform compare to the more expensive units. I am sure that one gets what he pays for, but I do not want junk. I appreciate your replies and will look at both units. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
As I needed both a GPS and a back up camera I bought a Garmin RV 760 lmt.
You hook the power lead for the camera to a backup light wire at one of the rear lights. The video is wireless. The backup grids are adjustable for your vehicle. The GPS is designed for a RV, you set the RV sizes and it warns of possible problems ahead.
It has worked great for me.
I have a 760 which performs well. I was considering their backup camera but decided against it after reading some negative reviews for this camera regardless image sharpness and IIRC nighttime performance. Your experience has been otherwise?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:49 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Good thread! I've thought about a backup camera for my 97 PW. The question that I have is if you guys are using the existing head unit on your RVs. If you know the Dodge VanWagon on which some (mine) of the PWs are based, the radio space is that odd 1.5 unit height. For those of you who have added a camera, where did you put the monitor?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

GallenH - Good question and I have wondered the same--where best to mount the monitor. I supposed that it would have to be on the dash, somewhere rather than in the dashboard itself.

I am not sure what you mean by the head unit. Is that the dashboard? I hope that some users will respond.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I have a 760 which performs well. I was considering their backup camera but decided against it after reading some negative reviews for this camera regardless image sharpness and IIRC nighttime performance. Your experience has been otherwise?
Picture not as sharp as the picture on the wife's Cherokee but is OK and far better than having none. Also, I have added some LED back up lights, so the night picture is very good.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Default In dash rear view

I removed the original 1.5 height (1.5 DIN) radio and replaced it with a Sony single DIN radio, cd/dvd player and video display. It has a flip-out screen that retracts into the radio when turned off, and moves out and up when turned on. I installed a video camera just above the license plate. The camera is less than 1-inch cube and hard wired. The picture is very clear. I need to add LED lights as mentioned above and expect that will help with night-time use. The hardware cost was around $400 and I had it installed by a local shop as my days of groveling around under an old oily mechanism of any sort are log gone. Installation was maybe $150.

This is not only a media player and backup camera, but it displays GPS from an Android or Iphone with audio through the speakers. I no longer have to try to hear the tinny speaker my cell phone and look at the screen vibration around on a cheesy vent mount located too high or too low in my visual field. "OK Google" or "Hey Siri" and I get driving directions hands free.
richpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #10
Gold Member

Does anyone use the Dual dashcams that have the camera for the back? There seems to be a lot of reasonable choices on Amazon.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #11

I bought a EchoMaster - Rear-View Mirror Back-Up Camera Kit - Black Model:MRC-LP01CP at Best Buy for $200 and paid them $130 to install it. Have had it for 2.5 years and works fine.
jboger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
Bronze Member

I looked at that but decided on a front dash-cam and a built in rear camera.
richpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #13
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

I bought a back up camera for $20.00 online. Wired unit to tag light so comes on whenever I turn on headlights.bought it to monitor small trailer I hall with our Class B. Have used it for over a year on several 1000 mile trips. Might buy a more expensive one down the road.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #14
Platinum Member

It does really depend on how much visual quality you want...I have two HD Ryhdeen cameras front and rear.. and the display is on the navigation screen on the dashboard integrated into the radio. I can switch from the rear view to the front..... mobile electronics are expensive... you get what you pay for....no magic here.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Does anybody know of a camera system that is REAL HD? There are many that say they are "High Definition", and even some that say that they are "1080P". But, when you investigate, you discover that they are actually NTSC cameras using RCA connectors, and so have only 480 lines vertical. Real 1080P would be 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high.

Of course, such a camera would have to have a high-def screen to go with it and HDMI or some other high-def interconnect. The Tesla rear camera is 720p 1160 x 720, and the view is stunning. I would LOVE to have a fisheye lens at that resolution with appropriate image processing. This would prompt me to invest serious dashboard space for a large monitor.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Here's the website for the unit I have and a picture

Here are the specifications; I have the HD2; earlier model.
I don't know... I'm pretty happy with it.

MINy HD3 Backup / Forward Facing Camera | Rydeen Mobile Electronics

There's a similar camera on the rear which is adjustable; 180 degree viewing angle, 580 lines of resolution, see link below for more viewing angles.

http://rydeenmobile.com/product/miny-superwide-camera/

http://rydeenmobile.com/about-rydeen/

Good luck with your system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear camera view on Sprinter.jpg (215.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Camera location on rear.jpg (173.3 KB, 6 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

There's a similar camera on the rear which is adjustable; 180 degree viewing angle, 580 lines of resolution, see link below for more viewing angles.

MINy SuperWide Backup Camera | Rydeen Mobile Electronics

More About Rydeen | Rydeen Mobile Electronics

Good luck with your system.

Why are the guidelines so far off the ground? That should be able to be adjusted out with mounting or software.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

Thank you. It looks like a nice system. But as I said, I am looking for a true Hi Def camera.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #19

I have a 94 pw, did not want to dash mount the monitor so I cut out part of my visor to flush mount the monitor. Works great.
dnnytlsn@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Does anyone use a complete wireless video system for backup, dash cam and security? Does one exist? When I'm stopped for the night, I set up some motion detectors on magnets, but a camera would be nice.
alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, camera, rearview