Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default rebuilt fridge company

Does anyone know the company that sells rebuilt Dometic fridges in the Midwest? I believe they are in Indiana or Illinois. I saw someone discussing them here a while ago. Bonus question: fridge model number for Roadtrek 2006? Thanks!
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
Does anyone know the company that sells rebuilt Dometic fridges in the Midwest? I believe they are in Indiana or Illinois. I saw someone discussing them here a while ago. Bonus question: fridge model number for Roadtrek 2006? Thanks!
I believe you are looking for JC Refrigeration?
https://jc-refrigeration.com/

I heard they no longer do the compressor refrigeration conversions but will rebuild 3 way with their improved version?
Old 12-02-2022, 08:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think I have mentioned National RV refrigeration in the past.

https://fixyourfridge.com

They are in Indiana. I would have gone to them install a replacement for my RM2554 in my 2006 Roadtrek 210P.

They have scratch and dent fridges, which was my preference as they are essentially new units. Rebuilding a fridge is OK as long as it is not too old. My fridge was 14 years old so the seals were worn in spots. Plus the electronics and heater is old so rebuilt is not a good idea for older fridges IMO.

They did not have a scratch and dent available when I needed it, so I ordered a new one and installed myself. The prices for new units has gone way up now.

If I had to do it again I would probably put a compressor fridge in. I did not do that (2 years ago) because I was not up to doing all the other upgrades needed to support a compressor fridge.

What model Roadtrek do you have and what refrigerator model is in it?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #4
Silver Member

I have a 190 from 2006 ... do you think it would be the same fridge as yours? I'm not sure what the model number is.
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I think I have mentioned National RV refrigeration in the past.

https://fixyourfridge.com

They are in Indiana. I would have gone to them install a replacement for my RM2554 in my 2006 Roadtrek 210P.

They have scratch and dent fridges, which was my preference as they are essentially new units. Rebuilding a fridge is OK as long as it is not too old. My fridge was 14 years old so the seals were worn in spots. Plus the electronics and heater is old so rebuilt is not a good idea for older fridges IMO.

They did not have a scratch and dent available when I needed it, so I ordered a new one and installed myself. The prices for new units has gone way up now.

If I had to do it again I would probably put a compressor fridge in. I did not do that (2 years ago) because I was not up to doing all the other upgrades needed to support a compressor fridge.

What model Roadtrek do you have and what refrigerator model is in it?
Earlier this year converted my Dometic 3 way to compressor using the Vitrifrigo kit. Started in 2021 but had to wait 6 months for the kit. Other than the battery component of the install. It has been great. Box gets cold in less than 1 hour. Stays cold in 100 plus ambient temps. My 3 way was OK for the first 3-4 years. It seemed to degrade over the last year. Not sure why? I have 190 watts of solar. It it enough to provide the electricity to maintain the refrigerator. I also added extra insulation where possible. Four fans inside the box with a couple of switches. Two more fans outside to increase circulation around the compressor. One of the best upgrades on my van so far!
Old 12-02-2022, 10:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Earlier this year converted my Dometic 3 way to compressor using the Vitrifrigo kit. Started in 2021 but had to wait 6 months for the kit. Other than the battery component of the install. It has been great. Box gets cold in less than 1 hour. Stays cold in 100 plus ambient temps. My 3 way was OK for the first 3-4 years. It seemed to degrade over the last year. Not sure why? I have 190 watts of solar. It it enough to provide the electricity to maintain the refrigerator. I also added extra insulation where possible. Four fans inside the box with a couple of switches. Two more fans outside to increase circulation around the compressor. One of the best upgrades on my van so far!
Please provide details on your system. Product number, cost, installation tips, etc.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:03 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a 190 from 2006 ... do you think it would be the same fridge as yours? I'm not sure what the model number is.
The 190 should have a smaller refrigerator. I am guessing it is the RM2351 or 2354. These run about $500 as scratch & dent. When I talked to National they said it is operationally same as new, but can't be sold as new for cosmetic reasons. They would transfer the existing fridge faceplate over so any cosmetic issue would be covered or hidden. Installation would probably be about $175. I would definitely go this route if you want to keep the same type.

Call and see what they say. I have talked to the owner who is very knowledgeable. I think he has someone else handling the phonecalls now so he can focus on the installs and rebuilds.

Please let us know what you find out and do.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:45 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I've been pondering my Dometic RM2310 (25yr old, no electronics, 3-way) replacement for about 3 years! If you google you can find that there are several firms that sell new or refurbished absorption coils. If you're willing to do it yourself they're generally not that expensive $400-500. It will probably be better than new since they boast a better mix of chemicals in the system. Can they compete with a compressor system. Probably not. But it all depends on where you live and travel. They will give you cooling 40-60 degrees below the ambient temp. Ok if you're in the 80-90 degree range. Not so good if you're in 110º
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:13 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I've been pondering my Dometic RM2310 (25yr old, no electronics, 3-way) replacement for about 3 years! If you google you can find that there are several firms that sell new or refurbished absorption coils. If you're willing to do it yourself they're generally not that expensive $400-500. It will probably be better than new since they boast a better mix of chemicals in the system. Can they compete with a compressor system. Probably not. But it all depends on where you live and travel. They will give you cooling 40-60 degrees below the ambient temp. Ok if you're in the 80-90 degree range. Not so good if you're in 110º
The rebuild companies claim better cooling with their coils, and the few reviews I have seen seem to support that. My new Dometic RM2554 does not seem to cool as well as the 2006 model year one did 10 years ago. The old one gradually lost cooling capacity until it stopped cooling 2 years ago. I think the cooling capacity is sensitive to the coolant fill amount and composition. I know of some that have fantastic cooling from their absorption unit, and others with poor cooling, even when all other cooling improvement measures have been taken: coil fans, insulation, vent geometry, etc.

As I said earlier, check your door seals. Poor leaking door seals can negate the most efficient fridge cooling unit.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:09 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Please provide details on your system. Product number, cost, installation tips, etc.
Originally had a Dometic RML8330. Kept the same box. Ordered a Vitrifrigo ND50 conversion kit. It was the smallest foot print I could find. Vitrifrigo makes a ND35 which uses a smaller Danfoss compressor. ND50 was maybe $100 more. I kept the Dometic box since cabinets were made to fit this unit. Removed all of the original 3 way components. Purchased a Vitrifrigo cooling box(S10)? I did not trust myself bending cooling plates, etc.

The conversion kit ran about $800.00 Another $225.00 for the cooling box. So I would say about $1200 for the entire conversion kit. Had to purchase some tools and brackets to make it all work properly.

The box now stays very cold. No problems as long as you have enough electrical power. No worries about being exactly level. I has used the conversion since May. It has worked extremely well. Very happy with the unit. Outside the unit looks identical so no cabinet changes.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:45 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally had a Dometic RML8330. Kept the same box. Ordered a Vitrifrigo ND50 conversion kit. It was the smallest foot print I could find. Vitrifrigo makes a ND35 which uses a smaller Danfoss compressor. ND50 was maybe $100 more. I kept the Dometic box since cabinets were made to fit this unit. Removed all of the original 3 way components. Purchased a Vitrifrigo cooling box(S10)? I did not trust myself bending cooling plates, etc.

The conversion kit ran about $800.00 Another $225.00 for the cooling box. So I would say about $1200 for the entire conversion kit. Had to purchase some tools and brackets to make it all work properly.

The box now stays very cold. No problems as long as you have enough electrical power. No worries about being exactly level. I has used the conversion since May. It has worked extremely well. Very happy with the unit. Outside the unit looks identical so no cabinet changes.
How did you mount the cooling box? Can you provide pictures?
Old 12-03-2022, 06:40 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe you are looking for JC Refrigeration?
https://jc-refrigeration.com/

I heard they no longer do the compressor refrigeration conversions but will rebuild 3 way with their improved version?
Not according to their website. It is still offering 12 colt compressor conversions for some gas refrigerators.

They have never offered 12 volt conversion for the Dometic 2354 and other smaller refrigerators used in class B vans. There isn’t enough room for the compressor.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:36 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
How did you mount the cooling box? Can you provide pictures?
Inside the refridge is the cooling box. I just drilled thru existing box and connected the copper lines. The black rubber tubing is the insulation wrapping the copper lines. Again, you will need to purchase a unit which fits your existing space. Originally, I purchased a Nova Kool unit because someone had used it in their Travato. Once I got it and looked it over. It was very clear, way too large of foot print. I returned it and purchased the Vitrifrigo. Many companies make these conversion boxes for 3 way in the marine world. Also take a look at Alibaba. They have a large variety of compressor refrigerator boxes. I found one around 100liters for $1200 including shipping. It would have fit but was slightly smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220524_182405842.jpg (203.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220602_093644624.jpg (203.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Rlum, can you provide a picture of the inside?
Old 12-03-2022, 12:43 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Rlum, can you provide a picture of the inside?
Actually the box comes preformed. Just measure dimensions and chose the best fit. I just zip tied to the wire shelf. Wired shelves were something I did awhile back to increase air flow. Still have original plastic shelves but found the wire ones function better. You can order a plate but require more bending to fit inside box?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220605_090423427.jpg (129.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220605_090430145.jpg (156.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220605_090434927.jpg (172.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-03-2022, 12:59 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Rlum. So you don't have a freezer then. Looks like the original fridge had a removable freezer section.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:09 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Rlum. So you don't have a freezer then. Looks like the original fridge had a removable freezer section.
I removed the freezer box about 3-4 years ago. Could not get it cold enough? I still have the box and all of the internal shelves, etc. We prefer having a larger refrigeration space. I guess, one could install some clear plastic enclosure on the front and back of box? One could create a very cold separate space similar to a freezer? Some people have done this. My thermostat says this space easily gets down to 24 degrees when thermostat is set to 7:00 position. I guess one could get the box down to 5-10 degrees easily?
Old 12-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
My 08/09 PW has the RM2354 Model. I replaced it with like for like. Easy job, just an FYI. Never understood all the hate for the 3-Way. Mine stays ice cold up to around 105 degrees outside. Definitely need the inside fan pointed at the evap on the top shelf. Outside fan is a joke. My replacement has it and it's more of a PIA than anything. Ex HVAC tech for what it's worth.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:05 PM   #19
Gold Member

Had the amonia leak out in ohio, National RV refrigeration was open so I went through Indiana and I bought a scratch n dent 3 way converted euro version. Amish folks always good to deal with, straight talkers no B.S. It was a toss up between a rebuilt 2 way, new 2 way or the euro 3 way. He wasn't recommending the DC heater of the 3 way, because as we all know now, the DC heater/cooling is the worst effective and eats most power.
If I were to do it again, I would have gone with the 2-way, can't count on solar anywhere, especially east of the Mississippi. When I do have enough power, I now use the inverter to run the fridge instead of the high-current poor performing dc section.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlillard23 View Post
If I were to do it again, I would have gone with the 2-way, can't count on solar anywhere, especially east of the Mississippi. When I do have enough power, I now use the inverter to run the fridge instead of the high-current poor performing dc section.
Would be interested in knowing the size of the inverter that you're running. An existing one or one you got for this purpose?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote