Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Default refrigerator remove

I have a 2002 200 popular Road trek that I need to remove the refrigerator, but cannot seem to find the screws that hold it in inside on the bottom have removed top and outside screws and gas and electrical lines. It is a dometic RM 2453 model 4 cu ft ,110 volt,12 volt dc and gas. Thermostat died and unit must come out to replace. Any one else that have replaced or removed have any suggestions. Thanks
Grampy
Grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampy View Post
I have a 2002 200 popular Road trek that I need to remove the refrigerator, but cannot seem to find the screws that hold it in inside on the bottom have removed top and outside screws and gas and electrical lines. It is a dometic RM 2453 model 4 cu ft ,110 volt,12 volt dc and gas. Thermostat died and unit must come out to replace. Any one else that have replaced or removed have any suggestions. Thanks
Grampy

Have you check from the outside of the van... through the vent?

Sorry I don't know the exact answer, I am only guessing.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

When I removed the fridge in my 97 roadtrek, I think there was the 6 screws on the front of the fridge, that held the front of the fridge to the adjoining cabinitery, then, in the rear of the fridge, at the bottom, there were 2 large screws that you can get to by going through the lower vent, on the rear of my dometic fridge, there was 2 sections of metal frame work that was at the base of the fridge, this is where you should be able to find these 2 remaining screws, after all the screws were removed it was still in there pretty tight, It needed some coaxing to get it out of the tight little space,,,,,I think one of my buddies was pushing from the outside through the vent, while I was pulling from the inside,,,,,,, hope this helps, if you need any other info let me know,,,, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,, Josef,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160607_171706.jpg (145.0 KB, 22 views)
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Sorry about that, I was hoping you could see the lower frame in the picture, but its too hard to see, just curious , how did you know that it was the thermostat that gave out?,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #5

Default remove refrigerator

The electric heating elements both ac and dc ohm out correctly and gas lights but remains on pilot only this indicates the switch is not making contact calling for cooling. I have no outside screws on unit that I can find except for the under counter screws. The two outside are hard to get to will need to use some sort of flex drive. Still looking for screws near floor on inside where installition manual says the should be.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default refrigerator removal

My refrigerator lacked screws holding the frame which is accessible from the outside. (I subsequently remedied that deficiency).

My unit was attached by only 4 screws ( Got a Number 1 square driver?) on the front of the unit. Open refrigerator door.....Remove the 4 rubber covers (2 covers are shown on my photo) to access screws. See pictures attached.

I hope this helps Grampy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screw1.JPG (26.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg screw2.JPG (26.4 KB, 9 views)
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #7

Default remove refrigerator

Thank you
My unit does not have plugs like yours nor screws on the side as your unit has.
I am just going to go ahead and try removing the four screws that I have identified and hope for the best. The pics are great when I get mine out will post my solution and pics of how it was held in.
Happy Motoring
Grampy
Old 04-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Could you possibly have some form of "L" brackets on the floor and above it in lieu of the screws?
Old 04-29-2017, 11:35 PM   #9

Smile remove refrigerator

Unit is out yeah! Should have went with my original thought. The screws that I found were the only screws in it. It was just super adhered with sealant all around the outer trim lip.
Once I decided to just go for it had it out in 15 minutes.
0429171826.jpg

0429171827.jpg
Old 04-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Ta Da!! another happy ending. Make sure to service your burner well while you have it out.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I am curious why your selector knob is hard to turn. Please reply when you figure it out.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Grampy, Thanks for posting the update: Just for clarification. You said there were the two screws in the front going up into the counter/framework, and then the two out back on the metal brackets on the sides?

Then what? Cut all the silicone away and just push and pull?

Thanks.
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #13

On mine after removing screws I had to rock the refrigerator out after cuting around seal.
Hope this helps good luck
Old 05-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Platinum Member

But there were only 4 screws. Correct? The two facing up in the front, and the 2 out back. Right? No other mechanical fasteners?

Thanks.
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #15

That is all I had on my unit correct
Grampy
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
When I removed the fridge in my 97 roadtrek, I think there was the 6 screws on the front of the fridge, that held the front of the fridge to the adjoining cabinitery, then, in the rear of the fridge, at the bottom, there were 2 large screws that you can get to by going through the lower vent, on the rear of my dometic fridge, there was 2 sections of metal frame work that was at the base of the fridge, this is where you should be able to find these 2 remaining screws, after all the screws were removed it was still in there pretty tight, It needed some coaxing to get it out of the tight little space,,,,,I think one of my buddies was pushing from the outside through the vent, while I was pulling from the inside,,,,,,, hope this helps, if you need any other info let me know,,,, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,, Josef,,,,,
What did you replace it with?
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #17

Smile

I did not replace it I repaired it by replacing rotary selector switch and the thermostat also no it is cooling great