Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2022, 07:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Register as Passenger Van or RV?

My state allows a Class B to be registered and titled as either an RV or passenger van. We've talked to one insurer (Progressive) and they say an RV title makes it "easier" but didn't flat out say it was required. We live in a neighborhood with no HOA but there are 30+ year old unenforced covenants against parking RVs/trailers/boats/etc in our driveway. The city only enforces them when someone calls but that hasn't happened in at least 10 years. The neighborhood is full of RVs and boats. I'm not sure having passenger van plates would be a defense if someone did call the city. It's not a huge issue for us because we have offsite storage for the van and that's where it will normally live when we aren't preparing for a trip.

I'm inclined to title the van as an RV because that's clearly what it is. Is there a compelling reason to title as a passenger van instead?
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Insurance. If titled as an RV you will be able to make the case that it is worth something closer to its actual value if you total it and need to put in an insurance claim.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

in most areas CCR's expire at 25 years.
they are a civil matter and not subject to local police enforcement
imposed by the developer of a housing division
and some CCR's are just plain "illegal" such as bans on satellite dishes, antennas ( or other things found to be illegal by the courts)

mine is insured as an RV using the RV model year ( not always the same as the chassis) and VIN
just in case
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
in most areas CCR's expire at 25 years.
they are a civil matter and not subject to local police enforcement
imposed by the developer of a housing division
I just read ours and they say that the covenants are in force perpetually unless after 20 years from platting 2/3 of owners vote to get rid of them. My city has an office that enforces covenants for non-HOA neighborhoods. Many years ago I could count on getting a letter from them if I left a trailer in my driveway for more than a couple days. The neighbor who I suspect turned me in has been gone for 20 years and I haven't gotten a letter since. Over the last 10 years I've been seeing more and more violations - trailer, RVs, boats, chainlink fences, etc. I suspect that's because most of the original owners are long gone and the newer owners aren't aware of the covenants so nobody knows they can complain. Sooner or later a busy body will move in and go on a mission to get the covenants enforced.

In any case, the only reason I mentioned covenants was on the chance that I could safely ignore the prohibition on RVs if I had passenger van plates instead of RV plates. I suspect it wouldn't matter since we all know an RV when we see one and a humorless code enforcement bureaucrat having a bad day wouldn't be swayed by what's written on a license plate.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:25 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
I suspect it wouldn't matter since we all know an RV when we see one and a humorless code enforcement bureaucrat having a bad day wouldn't be swayed by what's written on a license plate.
Typically, vague terms such as "RV" are defined terms in a contract (and covenants are a kind of contract). Look for a "definitions" section at the top. Most often it is defined in terms of length, height, presence of kitchens, bath, etc, or registration. If there is no such definition, your state's DMV likely has one that might prevail.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:40 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Our insurance was considerably cheaper by insuring it as an RV. I assumed that this was because they expected less yearly mileage on an RV. I also made sure that I had full coverage for our RV converted van which has twice the value of a passenger van. I would register it for what it is (an RV) no matter what a HOA said.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:51 AM   #7
Platinum Member

In UT it makes a big difference in title and registration fees. As the original title was for a van, I was able to title it as one.
In my case, I titled it as a van, and insured it as a MH. The insurance company was OK doing it that way.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Since I just went through this fight...

In Minnesota, the financial difference is significant. To insure my current rig as a van at the cost of converting it would have about $1250 from Progressive. To insure it as an RV is about $520. (from geico... who wouldn't insure it as a van... long battle) The plates for an RV are $71 and the plates for a van are based/taxed on value... or around $4-500+. That makes for a no-brainer.

Then we have the issue of HOAs. In MN, plates for an RV start with the letters RV. This can be fixed by ordering personalized plates. LOL Which I did in my original HOA battle. The plate does say "recreational vehicle" across the bottom, but that is easily covered with a frame. My current little conversion is very stealthy with no AC on the roof (just solar and a maxxfan) and no awning and no vents/etc on the sides other than the electric connection, and a water port to comply with requirements of a water source.

So, to decide which option to choose, you need to know the rules and costs in your state. And be very clear on insurance that it is covering the van AND the conversion... not just the van.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
plates for an RV start with the letters RV. This can be fixed by ordering personalized plates.
Did you nab the vanity plate NOTANRV?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My Minnesota RV plates don't have an RV. They are 1B23 and that isn't a vanity plate, though I think it was cool that the B the second letter in the alphabet substituted for the 2 and could be construed as Class B. However it is a state parks plate with a picture that restricts how many characters you can have. It gets you in state parks for free but cost $60/year which I have already exceeded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mies License Plate 1B34.jpg (265.5 KB, 6 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Did you nab the vanity plate NOTANRV?
LOL... should have thought of that one. But it has too many letters.

After all the discussion with my Roadtrek friends about how darned cute this little van is, we gave her a cutesy name and I put a version of it on the plates. Her name is Cupcake...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote