Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I am confused Booster, are you saying that the Dual Alternators fail?

No I am not saying that at all. I do not feel the alternators have lots of problems is properly installed in the right applications like many of us have.

The statement cynically referred to this comment by Idleup.

Quote:
One close friend who works for the largest up-fitter in California informed me of the over 200+ 2nd alternators they installed on campers, every one was either replaced numerous times then finally deleted.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Thank you - was it a Chevy issue or a Roadtrek issue?

You have the latest technology whereas we are 2005.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you - was it a Chevy issue or a Roadtrek issue?

You have the latest technology whereas we are 2005.
If you mean the RT/Nations problem, I really don't know much about it. Give Nations a call--they are a good vendor and will give you reliable information about your specific rig.

https://www.nationsstarteralternator...ators-s/58.htm
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #44
Bronze Member

People often mention small repair costs. Our first estimate from Cummins for "rotor and stator" was $2500+. When I followed up a couple months later, they said the parts were discontinued and they had to replace with new model at $4,000+.
This is for a rear mounted (Roadtrek) noisy, smelly generator that ironically heats up the bed as we run AC to cool it. It was used 106 hours in 6 years and then failed.
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Unfortunately you didn't use it enough.

At a minimum a Onan Generator has to be exercised once a month for 2 hours, under load.

I try to run my unit for an hour a week in the summer.

Plus they most certainly overcharged you.

Next time, if & when, my Generator develops an expensive problem I am going to go the Dual Alternator route - 100 amps per hour seems incredible but I also see you can get 200amps per hour charging & even more.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #46
Bronze Member

Quote:
Unfortunately you didn't use it enough.

At a minimum a Onan Generator has to be exercised once a month for 2 hours, under load.

I try to run my unit for an hour a week in the summer.

Plus they most certainly overcharged you.

Next time, if & when, my Generator develops an expensive problem I am going to go the Dual Alternator route - 100 amps per hour seems incredible but I also see you can get 200amps per hour charging & even more.
Yes, a real waste of time...for a $4000 lawnmower engine... ��.
Off to study now... Under hood, solar, alternator, gas, diesel, lp..... Whew
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #47
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
This is my my exact sentiments!

Just as the "Real Life" situation with the Mexican Doctor above - When all else fails, and AGM and lithium batteries are totally depleted, nothing but a RV generator can provide the needed power to recharge and power the coach to continue your vacation. Even solar can be worthless unless you sitting in middle of a field with the sun baking the coach at 125 degrees and who sits in the sun when camping LOL

Having an RV without a generator is a major mistake. Manufactures are deleting generators on lithium installation and pocketing the money with no credit to the owner. Making matters worse, they Hoax the owner into thinking they no longer a generator because they use their 6 cylinder engine using more fuel than a generator which cooks coach and engine preventing the DPF geom regen which clogs the DPF and engine with carbon.

If anyone would like further information - On this subject, I authored an In-Depth article on this same forum on Generators verses Lithium Batteries.
I completely understand what you are saying but unless you have a diesel generator, how long will that propane generator last on a 13 Gal tank?
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #48
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
I completely understand what you are saying but unless you have a diesel generator, how long will that propane generator last on a 13 Gal tank?
13 gal, 80% = 10.4 gal

1/2 or 2500 watts, 1250 is probably not enough watts for a/c but if so, .34 gal per hour or 30.5 hours

2500 watts is .55 gal per hour or 18.9 hours

Your yhmv.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
Yes, a real waste of time...for a $4000 lawnmower engine... ��.
Off to study now... Under hood, solar, alternator, gas, diesel, lp..... Whew
Good judgement sometimes comes from bad experiences - after all I sunk $800 in an overhaul & 20 months later another $300.

RV Living is cheap but it sure ain't free ...
Old 06-20-2020, 02:26 AM   #50
Platinum Member

Once you do remove the Generator you're going to need some stuff to bring in power. I posted a LINK to a solar Calculator in the Group under Community called "Pire Sine Solar RV Campers" That may help with what you will need in the way of AMP to run your RV power systems.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #51
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
13 gal, 80% = 10.4 gal

1/2 or 2500 watts, 1250 is probably not enough watts for a/c but if so, .34 gal per hour or 30.5 hours

2500 watts is .55 gal per hour or 18.9 hours

Your yhmv.

Bud
I should have included running the A/C. A 600 amp hour Lithium setup should last several days if you are not running the A/C.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:05 AM   #52
Platinum Member

Hey guys - With a conventional RV using a 600 ah lithium pack, if you use your AC for even short periods of time, it will reduce your off the grid time drastically. While lithium is great, it won't replace your generator. What will help is if your RV has a propane refrigerator and water heater since this reduces battery consumption considerably.

Regards - Mike
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:21 AM   #53
Bronze Member

Quote:
Hey guys - With a conventional RV using a 600 ah lithium pack, if you use your AC for even short periods of time, it will reduce your off the grid time drastically. While lithium is great, it won't replace your generator. What will help is if your RV has a propane refrigerator and water heater since this reduces battery consumption considerably.

Regards - Mike
Class B's only hold a around 16 Gal of propane. How long will the AC last on the amount of propane?
Old 06-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Class B's only hold a around 16 Gal of propane. How long will the AC last on the amount of propane?
Hello Timp410 - I've come to the conclusion the average consumption for an AC running is around is around .3-.5 gal per hour, so a 16 tank could last up to 4-5 days or longer if you used the AC for an 6-8 hour period to sleep. Depending on temperature setting, this figure could go up or down.

I also recommend you set the thermostat for a 50% cycle at night, so the AC's compressor is cycled off half the time and the only draw is the fan. Also make sure the fan is on low as it requires less power.

Regards - Mike
Old 06-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #55
Bronze Member

Quote:
Hello Timp410 - I've come to the conclusion the average consumption for an AC running is around is around .3-.5 gal per hour, so a 16 tank could last up to 4-5 days or longer if you used the AC for an 6-8 hour period to sleep. Depending on temperature setting, this figure could go up or down.

I also recommend you set the thermostat for a 50% cycle at night, so the AC's compressor is cycled off half the time and the only draw is the fan. Also make sure the fan is on low as it requires less power.

Regards - Mike
I ran into a guy at a drag race invent last year. He was driving a pleasure way. He used a full tank of propane running his AC before the day was over. I actually had a Harbor Freight 3500 Watt Inverter Generator mounted on a hitch carrier. With an extra 5 gal gas jug, I was able to run my AC until the event ended which lasted two days. I could not even hear the generator on the inside of my coach.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
I ran into a guy at a drag race invent last year. He was driving a pleasure way. He used a full tank of propane running his AC before the day was over. I actually had a Harbor Freight 3500 Watt Inverter Generator mounted on a hitch carrier. With an extra 5 gal gas jug, I was able to run my AC until the event ended which lasted two days. I could not even hear the generator on the inside of my coach.
Thanks for the reply - It's easy to deplete an entire tank if you don't follow guidelines, I've witnessed it many times. A lot of owners park out in the sun and run the AC all day which causes the AC pump to run continually. This event can consume a full tank in 24 hrs as you witnessed.

Another problem is many RV's have reduced capacity of propane for either space or cost reasons. I've witnessed small takes as little as 6 gallons on vans. If this is the case, the AC should be reserved for only while your plugged in.

Regretfully, current Lithium technology will not replace your Onan generator which is why I continue to stress "make sure your RV has a generator" its your best investment when your on the road!

Stay Safe Mike
Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #57
Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply - It's easy to deplete an entire tank if you don't follow guidelines, I've witnessed it many times. A lot of owners park out in the sun and run the AC all day which causes the AC pump to run continually. This event can consume a full tank in 24 hrs as you witnessed.

Another problem is many RV's have reduced capacity of propane for either space or cost reasons. I've witnessed small takes as little as 6 gallons on vans. If this is the case, the AC should be reserved for only while your plugged in.

Regretfully, current Lithium technology will not replace your Onan generator which is why I continue to stress "make sure your RV has a generator" its your best investment when your on the road!

Stay Safe Mike
I am preparing to invest in a lithium setup to replace my four AGM batteries. I have a second alternator and a 270 watt solar panel. My AC will run off my current setup for about 1.5 hours. I have been communicating with Lithionics for several weeks now.

I just feel to adequately run your AC using your onboard generator requires the use of a generator that uses the same fuel type as your vehicle engine.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Sounds like you have all the ingredients for a great system. For the most part, regardless of the how large or small your lithium battery is, you have to adjust your usage according to its size.

Another important ingredient other than lithium is just how big your Inverter is since that's a vital part of running the AC. I assume you have a 3000 watt inverter?

Mike
Old 06-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #59
Bronze Member

Quote:
Sounds like you have all the ingredients for a great system. For the most part, regardless of the how large or small your lithium battery is, you have to adjust your usage according to its size.

Another important ingredient other than lithium is just how big your Inverter is since that's a vital part of running the AC. I assume you have a 3000 watt inverter?

Mike
I have a 3000 watt inverter. IT is already configured to run my 1100 BTU AC. I just need a battery system that can get me through a night of boondocking while traveling. If I plan to attend an event like a race event, I will take my generator. Otherwise, I will find a campground for extended stays.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #60
Gold Member

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and opinions. The Onan 2800 KV on my 02C190P RTrek is the worst. It is noisy, unreliable, and a money pit to repair and maintain. I appreciate the discussion of 2nd alternator vs generator as I weigh the decision to replace the KV with the new Onan 2800i. Have already added a second battery. I now have a pair of 12v AGM's wired parallel for simplicity and added a Progressive Dynamics converter charger with charging wizard and keep the RT on 30A shore power 24/7. I have not found a you tube on replacing the KV with the 2800i. I think I can handle an exchange. The existing Onan undermount(403-2689) and the new Onan adapter (A043F935) needed seem to be a question and I wonder if I could move the RT brackets holding the old Onan undermount and buy the new 2800i undermount (A042W103). The old Onan mount and all the bolts are rusted to hell yet the existing RT bracket is looking good. I wonder about using the existing remote starter switch and harness and everything thing I need to acquire. Then I read this discussion and its back to generator alternatives, a 2nd alternator, or solar panels on the roof (leaks) when I'm looking for shade, the hack and questions of a 2nd alternator, the wiring the isolator, transfer switch and finding a kit for a 5.7 liter. Its all wack and it comes down to, do I really need 120vac while in the Road Trek while boon docking Do I need the microwave or the AC or a reliable generator for resale? My limited 200ah AGM bank can be charged with my singular alternator or a inexpensive suitcase solar system. Whatever........ This morning, the one thing that is certain. The Onan KV piece of junk has to go.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote