Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Remove the 3 way frig and replace with ac only??

Your thoughts on removing the non working 3 way refrigerator and replacing it with a 120 volt ac only freg, and adding batteries and converter.

Johnnie
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Could be ok I suppose as long as you have good batteries and lots of solar -or intend mainly to camp where you have hookups.

I'm not sure as to have much it could affect resale (if that is any consideration for you). Prospective buyers might want more flexibility - I think I would, but perhaps it is not important to many.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If you are talking about going the low cost way of using a "dorm frig" style frig with an inverter on it, that has been discussed here recently, so you should be able to find that with a search. The newer energy star dorm frigs are getting quite close to the power used by the more expensive marine DC/AC frigs. The biggest questions on them is possible durability issues, as they are designed for stationary use and may not like bouncing down the road in a an RV. Dorm frig conversions are very popular, but have been done for years on class b vans by folks, but in the past weren't very inefficient.

If you are talking about a marine frig in either pure DC or AC/DC (no AC only in any I know of) there are lots of swaps from 3 ways around documented here and many other places.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If you are talking about going the low cost way of using a "dorm frig" style frig with an inverter on it, that has been discussed here recently, so you should be able to find that with a search. The newer energy star dorm frigs are getting quite close to the power used by the more expensive marine DC/AC frigs. The biggest questions on them is possible durability issues, as they are designed for stationary use and may not like bouncing down the road in a an RV. Dorm frig conversions are very popular, but have been done for years on class b vans by folks, but in the past weren't very inefficient.

If you are talking about a marine frig in either pure DC or AC/DC (no AC only in any I know of) there are lots of swaps from 3 ways around documented here and many other places.

Hi booster,

It seems that it is the less efficient, but efficient dorm refer VS the marine/rv dc kind. So maybe less $'s for more fuel needed, dc fuel - one battery and/or more solar or some kind of battery charging. There are are other expenses with the dorm refer: space, cables.........

Dorm Refer wins $ wise? heck if I know.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Some of those dorm fridges us most of the side panel(s) for the condenser heat dump, including our beer fridge for the lanai. Some sort of ventilation on both sides and likely the rear would be required along with adequate clearance, whatever that might be.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi booster,

It seems that it is the less efficient, but efficient dorm refer VS the marine/rv dc kind. So maybe less $'s for more fuel needed, dc fuel - one battery and/or more solar or some kind of battery charging. There are are other expenses with the dorm refer: space, cables.........

Dorm Refer wins $ wise? heck if I know.

I was very surprised when I went through the numbers during the last discussion on dorm frigs because they had always been in the many times higher energy use than the marine DC frigs. When all was said and done, with high efficiency ones of similar size to the marine versions the power use was very close to the same. They have to be the energy star version though, and need to look at the power use numbers.

Interesting on Steve's post on using the side panels for heat transfer as I have never really looked at the workings of them.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I can’t recall what the draw is on my inverter but I wouldn’t want to run it 24/7 to run an electric refrigerator off my batteries. The math on that can’t compare to a modern 12 volt high efficiency compressor refrigerator.

One lesson we have learned in our RV is that we can easily get by with a pretty small refrigerator which saves on up front cost, space and battery consumption and still have plenty of cold food and drinks.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:06 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I can’t recall what the draw is on my inverter but I wouldn’t want to run it 24/7 to run an electric refrigerator off my batteries. The math on that can’t compare to a modern 12 volt high efficiency compressor refrigerator.

One lesson we have learned in our RV is that we can easily get by with a pretty small refrigerator which saves on up front cost, space and battery consumption and still have plenty of cold food and drinks.

If you are doing a dorm frig at 110v, the norm would be to use a small inverter dedicated to that frig, it doesn't need to be large and the parasitic on them can be very low. That is what I used when I did the power use comparison a while ago and got the comparable power results to the marine frigs. We have had a marine frig for a long time, approaching 10 years, so are very familiar with how much power they use in the real world, as in "not much". Ours is also quite small at 3.0cf, which is the same as the 3way it replaced.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the valued input, as I have come to the conclusion that I should bite the bullet and replace the frig with an RV frig.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1hog View Post
Thanks for all the valued input, as I have come to the conclusion that I should bite the bullet and replace the frig with an RV frig.

Thanks
I may have missed it, but please what do you mean by 'RVfrig'?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I did remove my absorption frig and was best change made.
A 12 volt/110volt refrigerator in combination with a dc to dc charger working off alternator will keep batteries charged.
Look at some Australian RV electric systems. They are far advanced over the US. The Outback
Boondocking is more severe than we see with the boondockers in the US.
The Australian RV uses a drawer style refrigerator to conserve space and increase cooling ability.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We switched to a compressor fridge after having TWO propane units give us major trouble.

However, we didn't go low end (like a dorm fridge) - it's a major pain in the butt to be swapping fridges in and out if the rig has nice finishes, including fitted cabinetry. I got a marine-grade fridge, a Vitrifrigo which was about $1,100. It has been problem-free for several years, and I've been very happy with that investment. Story and instructions here, if you are interested.

Pic of the installed Vitrifrigo, for which we had to re-size the cabinetry opening (I was storing an orange Rumpl blanket on the left side of it when this was taken):

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #13
Platinum Member

InterBlog, thanks for the post, looking at your option.

Johnnie
Old 01-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1hog View Post
InterBlog, thanks for the post, looking at your option.

Johnnie

Be aware that while the marine compressor frigs have been very reliable and perform very well under all conditions, there are some things that need to be very carefully handled to get the install correctly ventilating the compressor/condenser areas of the frig. Many of us have had issues with that, but pretty much all have been able to be resolved. A lot of users added extra small fans to remove the hot air from behind the frigs, which when done properly works well but does use a bit of extra energy. We were able to get be without adding fans on our Isotherm (which is nearly identical to Interblog's Vetrifigo) by making a duct system to direct the air. Ours vents to the outside of the van, so different than those that don't vent externally. If you are replacing a propane frig, you will likely have the choice of which way to go, as we did. I prefer the external venting to keep the noise and heat out of the van and also much of the time it has cooler air available so somewhat better efficiency from that.

There are lots of discussion here on the forum about installs and venting that very good.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #15
Bronze Member

many thanks for the post with attached image. i'm totally impressed after see the same!
it will be grate scope for me if anyone of you share with me more information.
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Ellis View Post
many thanks for the post with attached image. i'm totally impressed after see the same!
it will be grate scope for me if anyone of you share with me more information.
AI is not perfect yet, based on this trial it will take long time. In the meantime it is just pollution.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
AI is not perfect yet, based on this trial it will take long time. In the meantime it is just pollution.
I guess I should ban that account, but I am finding it strangely mesmerizing.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
..................it strangely mesmerizing.
it is. Seems as we all waiting for improvement.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:34 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
it is. Seems as we all waiting for improvement.
I was an extremely early ARPAnet user (probably one of the first 5000 or so). Back in the early 1980s, there was a well-known user on the Net named Lauren Weinstein (he later became a slightly famous tech journalist and activist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren..._(technologist) ).

He was so prolific that for awhile there was a running joke going around the community that he was actually an AI. People started referring to him as "The Lauren".

Those were the days.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:59 AM   #20
LW1

I've always been just fine with only being "slightly famous" -- even though I do a lot of national radio now it still has the advantage of nobody recognizing me on the street (when I've done television they sometimes have -- pretty strange feeling). And by the way, as I said on HUMAN-NETS lo these many years ago, I still find you humans amusing. -L
LW1 is offline   Reply With Quote