Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Default Repairs on older Class B

For those of you that own older Class B vans do you have problems fining replacement parts and mechanics to do the repairs? We're feeling a little frustrated on getting repairs for 1992 Dodge we bought.
Thaboopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:53 AM   #2

We have a 92D190V keeping an older rig on the road can be done, you need to find a mechanic that does not need a computer to fix a vehicle, be proactive on maintenance, make sure your cooling system is in top notch condition, your engine and transmission will apreciate that. One advantage of our older RVs is that there are no "magic boxes" on the RV side all the devices/equipment are the same as any other RV so you are not limited to a RT dealer, the converter need to be updated as a minimum. Maybe we have been fortunate that we have found good mechanics and found small RV dealers that have been willing to work on the RT and I am still able to take on mods and small problems.

Good Luck
jeomelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #3
Platinum Member

the 92 van has a motor type that is in a few million vehicles, a tranny which also is the millions- a few hundred thousands of the suspension components.

there are thousands of shops and mechanics/techs who will happy use their experience to keep you running forever.

napa, pepboys and autozone type stores have all the parts.

just don;t look to dodge dealers, they are busy trying to service the newer cars they are selling- chrysler has changed ownership a couple of times since you van was built.

NC has all kinda of people who can work with their hands to keep you going- a 92 is not a challenge.

I have a good number of vehicles ranging back to '53- I find parts, I find people, I have manuals

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a 92 Pleasure Way built on a Dodge B350 chassis. As mkguitar says the engine, transmission and differential are everywhere, and parts are plentiful and cheap.

You are probably running into the same issue I did in finding the correct replacement parts for anything in the undercarraige such as brakes, steering, suspension etc.

Those parts are out there, it's just that they're not usually in stock in parts stores. These parts are still decently priced though but note that some parts are obsolete and replaced with MUCH better pieces.

Any mechanic can fix your van, it's just that some choose not to due to it's age and the fact that it is a one ton motorhome. It's no different than a B150, just beefier parts.

Dealers are never the place to go for used vehicles, they don't want them. Find a local, reputable garage with a mechanic or two over the age of 45. If they've been a mechanic all their life they'll know your van inside out and can fix it with their eyes closed.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:51 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I have to differ with the previous responses. I have a 2002 Popular on a Chev chassis, and only take my Roadtrek to a Chev/GMC dealer for chassis related repairs, and have never had a problem. They built the original chassis and they still service it for me, as if it just rolled off the line. For the RV stuff, if I can't figure it out myself, it goes to the nearest Roadtrek authorized dealer, unless it's an appliance or other proprietary piece of equipment. I would take it to a Cummins repair shop for my generator, etc......