Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Question Replace AC unit with Fantastic Fan.

I am considering purchase of an Axion, but would like to add a vent fan. I gather that the standard AC units and Fantastic Fans all mount through a 14X14 inch hole in the roof. So with a minor bit of rewiring I could ditch a perfectly good 100# AC unit and replace it with a 10# vent fan/skylight. While cooking, the vent fan would keep the smoke detectors from going off.

Although I live in California's hot central valley, I typically camp either on the coast or in the mountains. For the trip to either one, the dash AC should be fine. While stored outside between trips or while parked along the road, the automatic fan would run off the solar panel keeping inside temps below 120F (hopefully).

Finally, since the Fantastic Fan takes up 1/2 the roof space of the original AC unit, I may have freed up enough space on the roof to store a spare tire.

My question is: Is this a practical concept? Have I missed anything?
DougB
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbaty View Post
I am considering purchase of an Axion, but would like to add a vent fan. I gather that the standard AC units and Fantastic Fans all mount through a 14X14 inch hole in the roof. So with a minor bit of rewiring I could ditch a perfectly good 100# AC unit and replace it with a 10# vent fan/skylight. While cooking, the vent fan would keep the smoke detectors from going off.

Although I live in California's hot central valley, I typically camp either on the coast or in the mountains. For the trip to either one, the dash AC should be fine. While stored outside between trips or while parked along the road, the automatic fan would run off the solar panel keeping inside temps below 120F (hopefully).

Finally, since the Fantastic Fan takes up 1/2 the roof space of the original AC unit, I may have freed up enough space on the roof to store a spare tire.

My question is: Is this a practical concept? Have I missed anything?
DougB

--- Oh crud. I accidentally posted this in the ClassB+ forum area. DB ---
I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that some day you will decide to sell what you are considering buying and modifying, and IMO the predominant word you will hear from prospective buyers is: Sayonara.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:55 AM   #3
Bronze Member

It is practical given the way you plan to utilize your vehicle. Leaving the AC wiring in place would make the mod reversible, in case you ever change your mind. I find the ACs very loud especially in the confined space of a van. But I understand that different people have different tastes, needs and priorities.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We use our fan a lot more than the AC. The AC is loud and I can't turn the temp up enough to keep it from freezing me to death. However, we don't do a lot of summer camping in hot temps.

If you do replace your AC with a fan, you might want to check into a Maxxair instead of a Fantastic since those have a rain shield. It's nice to be able to get ventilation even if it's raining. You can buy a rain cover for the Fantastic fan, but it sticks up a long way and I don't know how well it holds up.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I am cool (pun ..heh heh) on yanking a perfectly good A/C unit on a perfectly good new rig.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:07 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I have both and I use both, I would not be without either.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
I have both and I use both, I would not be without either.
Yeah. After experiencing yet another warm fall afternoon in the valley, I decided to keep the AC and raise the solar panel to add a fan underneath. The summers here are brutal and the AC can keep the coach cool while eating at a restaurant. Hymer is the only company combining a 2nd alternator (UHG) mated to Lithium batteries so you can have enough standby power to keep the AC running for hours. Solar panels work better with lead batteries and the Fantastic Fan.

For the record all the above is just an intellectual hobby since I don't have an Axion. May buy one next year.
DougB
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac unit, axion, fantastic fan