Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replace Pleasure Way wall covering in Galley

The wall covering in our galley needs to be replaced.
It is a contact paper, with a finish which allows sponging off- same is used in the head/shower, so waterproof.

Has anyone specific product recommendations?

The AZ heat has caused to paper to shrink and start pulling away from the wall behind the galley sink- that'll make getting the old off easy

Need to select the correct product for replacement- I'd like to reusue the existing plastic trim pieces so the new product needs to be quite thin- .004"
Thanks, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:01 AM   #2
Platinum Member

By galley do you mean behind the sink? The stove? I can't remember your year. My PW is 1997. Behind the sink is the 2nd van door. Behind the stove on mine is SS I believe. Is yours similar?

--glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The previous owner of my PW installed the fake tile you find at hardware stores behind my galley sink. It comes in 12" squares and I believe it is peel and stick, it looks nice and is easy to wash off.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I missed these replies- job long done.

Removing the old covering required removing some trim and a couple of panels- these hidden areas on the pleasure way well constructed.

I could see a couple of spots where wood bracing contacted the steel van and splooged a little silicone caulk in there as an adhesive and/or to cushion and rattling on washboard.

cleaned off the old adhesive as best I could.

We used a contact paper from amazon and reinstalled using all the stock trim- some of our plastic trim was secured on the backside by staples through wood panel- eased out with painters knife behind the panel and then pliers- I used brads in my staple gun putting back together.

the hardest piece was on the side, and shaped like a "brontosaurus"- 3rd attempt was cut close to size and them trim in place with exacto

no big mysteries

once done I re-caulked and the job came out fine.

cheers, Mike
Old 03-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Before and after photos?
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Sorry no pics- I didn't think of it and I have difficulty with pics on this site

the original covering was light with a faint pattern ( to disguise dirt) I went with an eggshell color white with a smooth texture ( for wiping down)

I actually ordered 5 various rolls from amazon prime and returned the 4 we didn't use

mike
Old 05-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Wink failing wall paper - Same issue

We are the 2nd owners of a rig that was in Lake Havasu, Az, it has the same issue with failing wall paper behind the sink. This is great info and something I am planning to address in the near future.
Santee2005PWTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:13 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Default Replace Pleasure Way Wall Covering in Galley

Well the near future is here, I've removed the old wall covering and as stated in the earlier post, my wall covering was already pealing away, so it came off fairly easily now the prep work The real fun begins ... finding an alternative product is next. see photos in my Kitchen album
Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Here is my finished product - used a peal and stick stainless steel looking wallpaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210620_204026_resized.jpg (98.1 KB, 15 views)