Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default replacement mattress?

I am in need of a replacement mattress for my 1989 Dodge 228 Xplorer camper van, the old one is gone but I have no idea where to go for a replacement, the original one was pretty much just a thick chunk of foam so I'm assuming I just go buy some large foam or memory foam and cut it to fit?

The area is 4'X6' and has two spots (4"X7" Each) that I would need to cut out of the foam so it would fit, I have seen rolls of foam that I could buy but I'm not sure that's the best way to go about this.

Thank you
Dopefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Here's what I did: mattress replacement thread.

And I'm pretty sure you can remove the cover from a IKEA mattress and cut the notches or angles you need.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
Bronze Member

that's a nice system, makes me rethink how i want to do this, unfortunately no one sells IKEA in Alaska and IKEA doesn't ship to Alaska as we are the bastard state, any other suggestions or is it foam and scissors for me?

Thank you
Old 03-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
that's a nice system, makes me rethink how i want to do this, unfortunately no one sells IKEA in Alaska and IKEA doesn't ship to Alaska as we are the bastard state, any other suggestions or is it foam and scissors for me?

Thank you
If you are within driving distance of a foam shop you can provide them with a paper template and they will build you a mattress with the thickness and density you want and also provide a zip on/zip off cover for it.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I don't know what options you have in Alaska, but I'm guessing it's going to be foam and sissors. If it makes you feel any better, my bed, that is, my actual bed, in my house, is two 3" latex foam toppers stacked one on the other inside of a cloth bag. Most comfortable bed I've ever owned.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #6
Platinum Member

You could consider the Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC system with thinner foam. You can adjust Froli to your weight.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I wonder if a futon mattress would fit, those are pretty flexible, maybe I will just hang a hammock back there.........hmmm........actually!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
I wonder if a futon mattress would fit, those are pretty flexible, maybe I will just hang a hammock back there.........hmmm........actually!
Why not iff'n it works for you.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Dopefish, instead of scissors try an electric carving knife. If you don't have one you can get them for less than twenty bucks at Walmart. I have carved memory foam toppers for two rvs and our bed at home with one of these gadgets. Go to youtube and search for "cutting memory foam" and I think you will find a couple of videos that demonstrate how to do the cutting. It really worked well for me on 2" and 4" memory foam. You can buy memory foam toppers at Sams or Walmart.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
Dopefish, instead of scissors try an electric carving knife. If you don't have one you can get them for less than twenty bucks at Walmart. I have carved memory foam toppers for two rvs and our bed at home with one of these gadgets. Go to youtube and search for "cutting memory foam" and I think you will find a couple of videos that demonstrate how to do the cutting. It really worked well for me on 2" and 4" memory foam. You can buy memory foam toppers at Sams or Walmart.
+1

Bass Pro Shop have many selections.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 AM   #11

Coastal Alaska a lot of boats, boats have odd shaped mattress, but may be $$
jeomelia is offline   Reply With Quote