Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Replacement rear window screens 2001 RT200P Chev

Anyone have a source for the two rear window screens?

We have the one for the side door but it didnt come with screens for the rear.

Would love to be able to pop screened windows open at night.

Thanks!
Theputnams515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

See my post #4 on this thread:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ters-9184.html

Our skreenz fit externally so they have to be taken down and folded for travel. But they are easy to put on and off.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:41 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I bought a couple of the ""as seen on tv screens for patio doors and adapted for my pleasure way side door and the 2 rear doors

cost about $12

left over pieces were used for the rear windows in the rear doors- which didn't really work as my head or a pillow will pull them down over night

the pleasure way uses rear side windows with a lower portion which opens outward by cranking- I think similar used on R/T (?) these have a metal frame which has a screen, the whole thing is held on with velcro and with crank knob removed can be removed for cleaning

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
See my post #4 on this thread:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ters-9184.html

Our skreenz fit externally so they have to be taken down and folded for travel. But they are easy to put on and off.
I am pretty sure my frames are aluminum so I'm not sure that will work, darnit.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theputnams515 View Post
I am pretty sure my frames are aluminum so I'm not sure that will work, darnit.
If Roadtrek kept the original Chevy Express doors, then it will work because the exterior is steel. I believe some older models had interior screens, but those would be hard to find.

Having a fresh air source right behind our heads, with fresh air drawn in by the rooftop Maxxair fan has kept us comfortable on many mild nights.

To ensure a proper fit, I provided exact measurements of the Chevy Express back doors on my Airstream Avenue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8260.JPG (505.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Roy Jarbeaux Skreenz Order 7-30-18.JPG (522.1 KB, 6 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
If Roadtrek kept the original Chevy Express doors, then it will work because the exterior is steel. I believe some older models had interior screens, but those would be hard to find.

Having a fresh air source right behind our heads, with fresh air drawn in by the rooftop Maxxair fan has kept us comfortable on many mild nights.

To ensure a proper fit, I provided exact measurements of the Chevy Express back doors on my Airstream Avenue.
Our RT is fiberglass from the driver compartment back. No joy there.

Time to get creative I guess lol.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Is this the model you have?
38D96B37-433B-4432-8CF7-BCCB4C58C6A7.jpeg

If so, I assume you mean the two rear side windows with a lower crank-out section, not the rear cargo doors on later models, correct?

Those appear to be the same as later years, which have a regular aluminum-framed screen insert as described by Mike in the last paragraph of post #3.

The screens in my ‘14 190P have radius corners on the bottom and are held in place with wire clips. They’re easily removed from inside without detaching the crank. No idea if it’s something you could fabricate (or have fabricated), but I’d be happy to take some detailed pictures if you’d like.

Not sure who made these windows for Roadtrek. The only thing I can find says “Spec-Temp,” which probably only refers to the glass. Since the new RT no longer builds on the Chevy chassis, they won’t have parts for the old windows, but they may at least know who made them.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Is this the model you have?
Attachment 11840

If so, I assume you mean the two rear side windows with a lower crank-out section, not the rear cargo doors on later models, correct?

Those appear to be the same as later years, which have a regular aluminum-framed screen insert as described by Mike in the last paragraph of post #3.

The screens in my ‘14 190P have radius corners on the bottom and are held in place with wire clips. They’re easily removed from inside without detaching the crank. No idea if it’s something you could fabricate (or have fabricated), but I’d be happy to take some detailed pictures if you’d like.

Not sure who made these windows for Roadtrek. The only thing I can find says “Spec-Temp,” which probably only refers to the glass. Since the new RT no longer builds on the Chevy chassis, they won’t have parts for the old windows, but they may at least know who made them.
Yep those are the ones I am referring to, and yep thats our RT200P

I will reach out to RT on this and see what they have to say.

Anyone have any of the frames in a scrap heap someplace? I would buy them and re-cover them lol.

Jon some good pics would be great, can I bother you for some measurements too?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Sorry it took a couple of days to get the photos.

Screen in place. Sits on top of the edge of the lower tip-out portion of the window.
60E2DAA7-7308-4885-A976-52F2707BA177.jpg

Screen partly removed. Spring clip catches and holds the inside of the frame.
7321614D-5907-4524-85AF-9373A7B2273D.jpg

Back of screen showing the aluminum profile and clip attachment.
63D9EB3B-406F-4E84-8E61-F649C0C79C4B.jpg
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #10
Silver Member

Thank you Jon1
Old 08-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #11
Gold Member

My '99 Xplorer has windows like Jon in AZ shows in his pictures - only obvious difference is mine have the cranks at ends the rather than in the middle. We have 3 of these windows - two in the bedroom and one at the dining table and the bedroom screens were missing when I got the van.

I was able to make two screens for the bedroom with parts for the frames from Pelland Enterprises. https://www.pellandent.com/RV-Window-Screen-Parts

They seemed to have all the parts I needed - curved corner pieces, internal 90* pieces, main track, clips to hold them in, etc. I did have the advantage of an original to copy. Mine aren't quite as nice as the original I copied, but they work well enough.

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
My '99 Xplorer has windows like Jon in AZ shows in his pictures - only obvious difference is mine have the cranks at ends the rather than in the middle. We have 3 of these windows - two in the bedroom and one at the dining table and the bedroom screens were missing when I got the van.

I was able to make two screens for the bedroom with parts for the frames from Pelland Enterprises. https://www.pellandent.com/RV-Window-Screen-Parts

They seemed to have all the parts I needed - curved corner pieces, internal 90* pieces, main track, clips to hold them in, etc. I did have the advantage of an original to copy. Mine aren't quite as nice as the original I copied, but they work well enough.

Dave
Thus is some great stuff here Dave. You Weld or epoxy the piece of track together?
Old 08-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #13
Gold Member

2nd try, the forum ate my first try, perhaps there is a time-out function, I got interrupted and maybe took too long....

Anyway, no welding or epoxy. The pieces are designed to plug together. eg, the corner radius pieces have a reduced extension on them that plugs into the channel frame. On the 90* corners there is an internal piece that plugs in.

You will need to choose corner radius pieces that match your window frames. Note that the website shows a couple of different brands and I'm not sure about interchangeability - you may need to call them and get some help choosing pieces that will all play well together as well as fitting your windows

When you cut the channels make sure the groove for the screen holding rubber is on the correct side so you end up with this groove all the way around the frame (you don't want to get to the stage of installing the screen only to find the groove is on the wrong side of a piece, BTDT ). I had the advantage of one original to copy so that really helped.

Anyway, once you get channels cut, fitted and corners plugged together just lay it on a table/bench and lay the screen over. Roll the screen round rubber piece into the groove like any other screen door/window and if you can manage to keep the screen tight, the assembly becomes reasonably rigid. After you have it installed in the window it become quite stable.

Mine is a '99 and yours is a '01 so the windows may be quite similar? Mine have the screen on the bottom 1/2 and the center bar of the window has a groove in it for the screen top channel to slide up into, the the bottom clips to the window bottom frame so I only use 2 of the wire clips on the bottom channel of the screen.

Only other fit-up issue I remember was cutting/filing a notch in the screen frame for the window crank before installing the screen.

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote