Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2021, 12:44 AM   #1

Default Replacing old Onan with new QG 2800i

Hello,

We are going to be upgrading our current Onan generator. We will be replacing it with the new QG 2800i model. Does anyone have any thoughts about how much work will be involved with the upgrade? We have a 2009 Pleasure Way Lexor TS.

I believe there are two models of the QG 2800i gas generator. The 2.8HGLAA-8302A is the model without the EVAP emission system system and the 2.8HGLAA-8303A is the model with the Evap emissions system. We are located in Nevada. I'm not sure if we would need the EVAP system or not.

Also, I'm not sure if the current wiring is sufficient for installing the remote panel for the new model. The accessories for the QG 2800i list a 30-foot remote panel harness that might be needed if the current wiring isn't adequate.

The accessories list also includes a retro adapter mounting kit for mounting the QG 2800i where a KV model was originally installed. I believe what I have now is the KV model.

We will also install a new remote panel with an hours tracker.

Is there anything we are overlooking. We plan to have the work done at a local RV repair shop. I am interested in buying the items online and having them shipped to the RV shop. Any issues that we should be aware of?

Thanks
snapperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:38 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Others on here have done that but they never followed up with an after action report.

The exhaust comes out the side rather than the bottom. The AC cable may enter at a different place. We would be interested in your installation issues feedback.

The fact that you are hiring it done rather than doing it yourself may limit what you know.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapperdude View Post
Hello,

We are going to be upgrading our current Onan generator. We will be replacing it with the new QG 2800i model. Does anyone have any thoughts about how much work will be involved with the upgrade? We have a 2009 Pleasure Way Lexor TS.

I believe there are two models of the QG 2800i gas generator. The 2.8HGLAA-8302A is the model without the EVAP emission system system and the 2.8HGLAA-8303A is the model with the Evap emissions system. We are located in Nevada. I'm not sure if we would need the EVAP system or not.

Also, I'm not sure if the current wiring is sufficient for installing the remote panel for the new model. The accessories for the QG 2800i list a 30-foot remote panel harness that might be needed if the current wiring isn't adequate.

The accessories list also includes a retro adapter mounting kit for mounting the QG 2800i where a KV model was originally installed. I believe what I have now is the KV model.

We will also install a new remote panel with an hours tracker.

Is there anything we are overlooking. We plan to have the work done at a local RV repair shop. I am interested in buying the items online and having them shipped to the RV shop. Any issues that we should be aware of?

Thanks
Please keep us updated with the progress and costs. I am thinking about this but my generator is working so cannot justify the cost. I have heard the new generator is 1 inch taller so ground clearance is a bit less? If you could post some pictures of before and after would help I know you are using RV technician but progress photos help too. Thanks for any information/advice you could provide!
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:09 AM   #4

Beware of how they install the tailpipe..my old pipe was used and welded underneath giving me about 3” ground clearance.. I had to remove the tailpipe and now in the process of going beck to CUMMINS IN NASHVILLE TO have them do it right..so disappointed in this dealer_
PATSENSING@ICLOUD.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:18 AM   #5

Thumbs down Onan 2800i..tailpipe issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATSENSING@ICLOUD.COM View Post
Beware of how they install the tailpipe..my old pipe was used and welded underneath giving me about 3” ground clearance.. I had to remove the tailpipe and now in the process of going beck to CUMMINS IN NASHVILLE TO have them do it right..so disappointed in this dealer_
They rerouted the tailpipe to come out the bottom amen welded the connections..
Old 05-07-2021, 02:22 AM   #6

Default Cost of Onan 2800i was $4500.00 installed.

[QUOTE=PATSENSING@ICLOUD.COM;127720]They rerouted the tailpipe to come out the bottom amen welded the connections.