Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Question Replacing Roadtrek Air Conditioner

I plan on replacing our air conditioner on our 2000 R/T Versatile 200. One of the shops I talked to said they will need to replace the rooftop gasket.....but they are not currently available.

Has anyone else replaced their air conditioner? And needed a replacement gasket? Where did you obtain it from??

We will in a very rural area of repair options here are somewhat limited. We enjoy the country life but sometimes it is a hassle.

Thanks
HorseshoeCat
Horseshoecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

This is what I did, it's worked great.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...out-11478.html
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #3
Bronze Member

THANK YOU for the excellent post.

It will certainly help me out after our next road trip.

HorseshoeCat
Horseshoecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Happy to help, I hope it works out.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:06 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Endowing the A/C compartment cover seal with the title "rooftop gasket" is over the top. It's just weather stripping. And it isn't all that important. If the seal leaks the water ends up in the A/C bay which has a raised lip on the front. If the van is not parked excessively nose down it should drain out the back.

The really critical seals are integral to the fasteners that hold down the cover. For some benighted reason Roadtrek made the holes in the body for those fasteners open to the interior. If they leak, water ends up on the bed.

Now that the old fasteners on your van have been messed with, you should check that the screws are tight and replace any that will not tighten.

The fasteners go by several names: Well nuts, insulating rivet nuts, rubber or neoprene machine screw anchors.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #6

Hello, I have a Roadtrek 2005 Popular 210. I would like to have an air conditioner powered by 12V, to avoid an inverter. Also, It is fine to be under 5000BTU
Fernando Damasceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:50 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Damasceno View Post
Hello, I have a Roadtrek 2005 Popular 210. I would like to have an air conditioner powered by 12V, to avoid an inverter. Also, It is fine to be under 5000BTU
Most class b air conditioners are 9000 to 13,500 BTU. 5000 BTU's sounds inadequate in all but the most mild heat conditions. As far as running on 12V, you'd need a huge battery bank to get long run times. Then, you'd need plug in, run a generator, or drive for extended periods to recharge.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #8
Bronze Member

I replaced the unit in our 2004 Roadtrek Popular. There was no gasket just sealed it with silicone. Few issues, the drip pan was in the rear of unit but since we sealed it well the water drains out the back. The unit we put in was a smaller unit so I had to extend the fins in the back that separate the cold from hot air on the outside of the unit. I thought it was a fairly simple project. Installed a Toshiba unit from Home Depot.
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #9

Thanks you for the information.
Fernando Damasceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Most class b air conditioners are 9000 to 13,500 BTU. 5000 BTU's sounds inadequate in all but the most mild heat conditions. As far as running on 12V, you'd need a huge battery bank to get long run times. Then, you'd need plug in, run a generator, or drive for extended periods to recharge.
Older post I know, but personally we've found the 12k BTU unit we have works excellent to (1) cool down the van initially and (2) easily keep it as cold as we like. It also has a great throw of air, even on middle speed you can feel cool airflow at the front seats. This is nice when we are camped and have the seats turned facing the back.

I'm not sure how less than half of that BTU capacity would work, I think I would agree that on hot days it would be taxing that capacity to maintain a moderate temp.