Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Required Propane Tank Stickers/Labels

I have removed my horizontal Manchester propane tank and I am prepping it for paint.
Are there any requirements involving labels on the tank? I would like to remove the old labels before painting and put on new ones if required.

Attached is an image of what's on there now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank labels.jpg (172.1 KB, 38 views)
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
I have removed my horizontal Manchester propane tank and I am prepping it for paint.
Are there any requirements involving labels on the tank? I would like to remove the old labels before painting and put on new ones if required.

Attached is an image of what's on there now.
There are requirements for type of paint. https://lingas.com/hot-topics/can-paint-propane-tank/.
Light reflective and rust restrictive paint. Silver, white, and light grey. I don't know about labeling except that they should say "Flammable" and "Propane". Your local fire dept should have the NFPA codes and be willing to help you. Your local propane supplier should be able to tell you. I think it is important to have all the labels that are in you pic, because so many propane attendants are clueless and need labels to let that remember what is what!!! Any place that re-certifies tanks should give you the labels. Or https://propaneservicecorp.com/colle...pliance-decals.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #3
Silver Member

I may jinx myself but I have not had any issues since I repainted my tank in 2017. No problem getting it filled, etc. I do have all the stickers but have not figured out how to reattach them so they would not come off driving down the road at 70MPH.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:17 AM   #4
Platinum Member

There are stringent DOT regulations in regard to reworking propane tanks:

from https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phms...pane_en_v3.pdf

In accordance with 49 CFR § 173.301(a)(2), cylinders must undergo a visual inspection prior to being filled. If If any of
the defects noted in items 1 through 4 below are present, the cylinder must not be filled and may only be repaired, requalified, or rebuilt by an authorized U.S. DOT facility

I can't from this document how this applies to minor cosmetic work or how they apply these rules to built-in tanks. You may require hydro testing. If corrosion is present, it may be cheaper to replace the whole tank.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic7320 View Post
There are stringent DOT regulations in regard to reworking propane tanks:

from https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phms...pane_en_v3.pdf

In accordance with 49 CFR § 173.301(a)(2), cylinders must undergo a visual inspection prior to being filled. If If any of
the defects noted in items 1 through 4 below are present, the cylinder must not be filled and may only be repaired, requalified, or rebuilt by an authorized U.S. DOT facility

I can't from this document how this applies to minor cosmetic work or how they apply these rules to built-in tanks. You may require hydro testing. If corrosion is present, it may be cheaper to replace the whole tank.
Those regulations apply to DOT tanks. I believe that OP is asking about ASME tanks. Those regulations (including the recertification requirements) do not apply to such tanks.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:02 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Those regulations apply to DOT tanks. I believe that OP is asking about ASME tanks. Those regulations (including the recertification requirements) do not apply to such tanks.
That's a valid point, but it's rather odd that we operate under two sets of rules. Apparently, it gets even more messy when you cross state lines:

https://www.rvtravel.com/how-often-d...propane-tanks/.

According to the Energized Gas Inc. website, … “each state you cross handles propane refill differently than the next. You need to be aware of the rules and regulations. Some states may require suppliers to use three separate measures for determining when the propane tank is full. You may need to use a scale and an OPD [overfilling prevention device] and the fixed liquid level gauge. You will encounter both state and federal regulations when it comes to refilling your propane tanks, so it’s best to get familiar with the regulations before you embark on your journey.”

RV propane tanks, or DOT cylinders, must be filled at certified filling stations by trained technicians. Every ten years, an RV propane tank or DOT cylinder used on a travel trailer or 5th Wheel must be recertified, as well as inspected for working condition after each subsequent filling. Any propane supplier should be able to clarify the rules and advise you where (in the local area) you can get your tank recertified.

Motorhome ASME propane tank
Motorhomes, though, have installed ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) tanks, not DOT tanks. ASME tanks are not required to be re-certified since they are permanently installed. But DOT/TC cylinders, both vertical and horizontal, because they can be removed, transported and filled independently, do qualify for periodic re-certification. All propane containers, tanks and cylinders, however, should be periodically inspected, cleaned and tested for leaks. All of which should be considered preventive maintenance common sense.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic7320 View Post
That's a valid point, but it's rather odd that we operate under two sets of rules.
Nonetheless, that is the case. DOT regulations are irrelevant to ASME-equipped RVs.
Quote:
Apparently, it gets even more messy when you cross state lines:

https://www.rvtravel.com/how-often-d...propane-tanks/.
That link is a secondary source. If you follow the link that supposedly makes this claim, you find that it does not contain the alleged text. Nor do either of the other two websites that Google can find containing that text. I did dig up a similar text using an old Google cache. It, too, referenced DOT, not ASME tanks.

Let's stay on topic, please.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I carry an ASME built-in tank and occasionally carry DOT tanks. Since your readership here covers a variety of custom built vans and home built (non-RVIA rated) class B equivalents that carry DOT tanks, as well those that pull trailers or have other RVs, this concern is germane in the broader context.

My ASME tank looks in the same condition as the pictures posted, so I'm looking to see what requirements my tank requires. It seems very, very odd that there are so many DOT requirements, yet ASME tanks lack the same oversight. And the risk is that RV tanks are largely hidden under the frame and hence, they get less attention.

What I found covering ASME tank requirements was very little. This 2107 reference from the Propane Research and Education Council on 'Cylinder Recertification' covers mostly DOT tanks, but it also has an answer on page 135 to the OPs question as to what labels are required on ASME tanks:
https://www.cfins.com/wp-content/the...dentManual.pdf

CONTAINER MARKER REQUIREMENTS
Type of container: ASME tank
Application: RV or Motorhome
Openings required to be marked: All except relief valve and liquid level gauges.

Ebay has some labels, but they don't cover all the requirements and some look like they are possibly used to fake tanks past inspections. I wouldn't want to be caught with an improperly labeled tank. In Colorado, they wouldn't allow any RV to go over a dam, even my little 3/4 ton Dodge. (But 1 ton work trucks pass by without question. Your post 9/11 tax dollars at work).

So anyone, if you have any good references for ASME tank requirements, or have experience in refurbishing or replacing tanks, please post them.

Or should this be a separate thread?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:52 PM   #9
Platinum Member

These Manchester tanks are not DOT Tanks. They are classified by ASME and do not require recertification in the US. DOT tanks are portable removable tanks (BBQ type) and are covered under an entirely different section of the CFRs. Some Provinces in Canada rewuire periodic inspection of ASME tanks.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Tank vs Cylinder. Apples vs Bananas! A ASME propane tank is made to different specifications and of heaver material than a DOT cylinder! If a DOT cylinder were manufactured like a ASME tank, it would not be a cylinder!!! You want to know about ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engeers) propane tanks, try here:https://www.asme.org/certification-a...-certification
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Tank vs Cylinder. Apples vs Bananas! A ASME propane tank is made to different specifications and of heaver material than a DOT cylinder! If a DOT cylinder were manufactured like a ASME tank, it would not be a cylinder!!!
Yes, exactly.

DOT tanks are basically consumer products--floating around from customer to customer, installed over-and-over by amateurs, and discarded when they wear out. They are regulated accordingly.

ASME tanks are durable components of a larger system. Installed once by presumed professionals and built to last for many years.

They are entirely different products with entirely different regulatory issues.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:49 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I agree that there is a distinction between ASME and DOT tanks. A few RVs have horizontal DOT tanks which are subject to recertification but the ASME tanks are certified at the factory for life. That said, it is recommended that ASME tanks be checked periodically for rusting and leaking at the fittings. That is not recertification, however.

I used to have my LP filled at a Uhaul place but they eventually changed to not filling any RVs older than 20 years. Didn't matter that I had an ASME tank or, for that matter, if I had a brand new, labeled ASME tank.

I now have it filled at a LP gas outlet which has no problem with the age and I always get the same guy, not some kid at Uhaul.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:25 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Update: Required Propane Tank Stickers/Labels

I know it's been a while. I just want to let everyone know what I ended up doing whether it was right or wrong.
I basically masked off the labels that I thought may have some importance prior to painting and then added the "Propane" sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1447.jpg (129.4 KB, 13 views)
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 02:48 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Tank looks great. The Propane label is probably not legally required, but it is definitely a worthwhile addition
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, propane, tank