Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #1

Default Required RVIA

I was told by a campground manager that unless my RV has a RVIA certificate we could not stay due to a city ordinance. My camper is a 190 type clone built by Phase III (2006).
jbcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
Bronze Member

What city?
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The sticker on the side of the body should suffice.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #4

Winchester, VA
Old 07-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #5

That seems to be the problem. There is no sticker. The vin number is for the GMC chassis. It is registered as a van but State Farm lists it as a class b motorhome and insures it as such.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:22 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I just did a search of the Winchester VA Municipal Code (it's online), and there's no reference to RVIA in any form that I could find.

I'd ask that campground manager for a cite on the code section.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

That appears to be a requirement of the hoity toity private Candy Hill Campground. Just go somewhere else.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member

First time I have heard that one - but just like an age restriction, no kids, no pets, etc., I suppose the campground can set its own rules within reason whether or not it has anything to do with county regs.

I see they do state their RVIA requirement on the website, although frankly I would have thought it might be a rule that they would only invoke if someone brings a real wreck of a converted school bus or something to camp.

I wouldn't bother with them myself - If you are really keen to go there for some reason, could you check with the builder of your RV to see if they were certified, and if so would send you a letter to confirm - or maybe even a sticker?!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default YES....go somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
That appears to be a requirement of the hoity toity private Candy Hill Campground. Just go somewhere else.
SO..they don't need your business... take your dollars elsewhere.

Of course.. it's interesting that you don't have a sticker.. call your manufacturer... ask why....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I live in VA and have never heard of this crap! Sounds like this campground only wants open its gates "their acceptable types." How about publishing the name....then the word will be out - I would also go to campgroundreviews.com and make your comments. Ron
Old 07-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #11
Site Team

AS Wingeezer says, there exist private campgrounds with all kinds of exclusionary policies. There are even those that only accept genuine Airstream trailers (no motorhomes allowed).

I stick 100% with public campgrounds. Cheaper, nicer, roomier and egalitarian.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
AS Wingeezer says, there exist private campgrounds with all kinds of exclusionary policies. There are even those that only accept genuine Airstream trailers (no motorhomes allowed).

I stick 100% with public campgrounds. Cheaper, nicer, roomier and egalitarian.
Haha,

Until this last Spring, I used to go to some of those Airstream Parks now and then - no more Airstream now though - in fact no RV until (hopefully) late sept when our 2109 PW should be here!

I will say that I wasn't all that enthused about "Only-Airstream" campgrounds, but the one we frequented most often in Florida was only about $16 a night with full
hookups and that was hard to pass up!

Over the years they had (Out of necessity I suppose) relaxed their policy and would permit about 25% of so-called "SOB" (Some other brand!) RV's - so maybe we will still go now and then - except that they have no showers and I think with our PW FL we will appreciate a campground shower now and then! Our Airstream did have a half decent sized shower and that is one thing we will miss.

Lots of other advantages to the "B" I am anticipating though!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Having a B is not always an advantage. We can't go visit DW's brother who winters in Mesa because their park has a no class B rule. You can have a $300K ARV and not get in, but you can get in with a $900 ratty old class C.

Go figger
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #14

Default RVIA Sticker

My van is a 2002 Pleasure Way. It was originally titled and driven in Canada. Canada did not use RVIA membership until 2004 (I believe). They only required their own MH certification sticker. Maybe your van originally came from Canada?
bm196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Stayed there in a pop-up 40 years ago and was thinking about returning in my class B sprinter in the future. I checked out their website and found the RVIA requirement in their FAQs under the heading, "Can I sleep in my car?"

I also saw where they charge an extra $5 for on-line reservations. Don't recall seeing that on other reservations that I have done (State Parks excluded).

I appreciate the post. I'll take my home built conversion van somewhere else.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #16

Default RVIA badge

Weird. Just the other day I was considering removing the old RVIA badge from the side of the camper. Thought it was too old to be relevant. Guess I'll keep it now.
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default I know people who go "car camping"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
Stayed there in a pop-up 40 years ago and was thinking about returning in my class B sprinter in the future. I checked out their website and found the RVIA requirement in their FAQs under the heading, "Can I sleep in my car?"

I also saw where they charge an extra $5 for on-line reservations. Don't recall seeing that on other reservations that I have done (State Parks excluded).

I appreciate the post. I'll take my home built conversion van somewhere else.
I have friends who own a old Honda Element...removed the back seat and transformed the back into a sleeping area.....

I don't know how comfortable that would really be.... and I wouldn't do it.... but they did and we're perfectly fine with it.....to each his own....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote