Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Retrofit or conversion to compressor

Hi: I see lots of people not satisfied with the performance of their three way refrigerators. I have a Dometic 3 way. Actually after replacing regulator and installing lots of fans inside and out. It works decent for now. The coldness is not as even as I would like it but food is not spoiling.

My question is: Has anyone retrofitted theirs from J C Refrigeration in Indiana? Or has anyone done a DIY with the Nova Kool product? Any other makers of retrofit kits? What were your experience of the product? Were you satisfied with the end result? I appreciate any/all input, opinions, feed back

Thanks All!
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Hi: I see lots of people not satisfied with the performance of their three way refrigerators. I have a Dometic 3 way. Actually after replacing regulator and installing lots of fans inside and out. It works decent for now. The coldness is not as even as I would like it but food is not spoiling.

My question is: Has anyone retrofitted theirs from J C Refrigeration in Indiana? Or has anyone done a DIY with the Nova Kool product? Any other makers of retrofit kits? What were your experience of the product? Were you satisfied with the end result? I appreciate any/all input, opinions, feed back

Thanks All!

Lots of information on that topic on the forum, and yes many have done that swap and been very happy.

A couple of Novakool swaps in progress on the forum currently.

Give a search and see what you can find, if not let us know and we can help dig them out for you.

We have had our Isotherm compressor frig home swap in our 07 Roadtrek C190P for nearly a decade and would never go back to an absorption frig.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I've done the NovaKool swap in my Travato but will probably do the JC Refrigeration upgrade to the fridge in my Class C when the 2-way Dometic in there dies.

The NovaKool worked well although I think they are very overpriced for what they are and how they are built. It was cheaply put together and had nothing inside except for some wire shelves.

The refrigerator in my C works surprisingly well at the present time. Removing it and replacing it with a compressor fridge made by Dometic, Norcold or NovaKool would be a really big job as it is too big to fit through the door and must be removed through a window. That makes retrofitting appealing. My Dometic is also well appointed. The price is right. too at right around $650. The NovaKool was over $1000 and almost a third the size. I'm concerned about the compressor JC Refrigeration uses and things like the door seal on my old refrigerator won't last forever. either, and replacing it is also a bit of work.

Hopefully, it will be a couple more years before I have to do something.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post

Thanks All!
Best Compressor Fridge was a thread I started before buying a Novakool R3800.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ile-10598.html

Now i am in the teething process of the new unit & the current Heatwave taking over Southern California.

Listed under the thread Batteries Gone ...

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...one-10996.html

But the Batteries were fine, this is a new one I started last night;

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ave-11025.html
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #5
Platinum Member

PS. JC Refrigeration ONLY works on large units.

What size unit, manufacturer & model, do you presently own.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
PS. JC Refrigeration ONLY works on large units.

What size unit, manufacturer & model, do you presently own.
Currently have Dometic RML 8330. It is really narrow about 16 inches. I could not find a direct compressor replacement. This is the first I have heard about JC refrigeration working only on larger models? Some people on Travato facebook forum replaced theirs with a Nova Kool R3100 above and used a Engle 35L on draw pull out set up. I thought pretty smart and ingenious set up.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I've done the NovaKool swap in my Travato but will probably do the JC Refrigeration upgrade to the fridge in my Class C when the 2-way Dometic in there dies.

The NovaKool worked well although I think they are very overpriced for what they are and how they are built. It was cheaply put together and had nothing inside except for some wire shelves.

The refrigerator in my C works surprisingly well at the present time. Removing it and replacing it with a compressor fridge made by Dometic, Norcold or NovaKool would be a really big job as it is too big to fit through the door and must be removed through a window. That makes retrofitting appealing. My Dometic is also well appointed. The price is right. too at right around $650. The NovaKool was over $1000 and almost a third the size. I'm concerned about the compressor JC Refrigeration uses and things like the door seal on my old refrigerator won't last forever. either, and replacing it is also a bit of work.

Hopefully, it will be a couple more years before I have to do something.
I did not know the Nova Kool was so cheaply made.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
Platinum Member

THE NOVAKOOL IS NOT CHEAPLY MADE AT ALL.

And my R3800 has a beautiful door.

I apologize for adding the Soviet Era comment.

I also think the previous poster was talking about the older doors and internal shelving - the newer Novakools look better inside & in 5 minutes you can slide a different dor cover insert of your choice if you wish.

Its a hairless dog, on the outside - the very same surfaces that are encased Cabinetry. A surface that you never see because they never need repair*.

In 15 years, the Dometic rear end was seen 5 times because it was replaced 5 times!

To me, The Guru of High End Marine Refrigeration is a retired gentleman down in Newport Beach, CA called Rod Lambda.

He spent 6 months a year for all of his career after graduating from University with a degree** in Thermodynamics Engineering, working in Monaco, etc on the mega of the mega yachts as The Hired Gun.

Some of that time was spent working alongside the Engineers of Isotherm/Vitrifrigo/Truck Fridge*** building custom systems.

In fact, he was an adviser to them for 40 plus years.

And he, like everyone I spoke with stated;

You cannot go wrong buying a Novakool, a Isotherm or a Vitrifrigo for your Class B with the caveat, if you are not on the Western or Eastern Seaboards, purchasing a Novakool is a better bet, IF, you need a repair as they are a Canadian Company & have a lot larger service network within the USA.

He preferred the Novakool R3800 over my other two choices, the Isotherm Cruise 100 Classic with older tech (a uit that Sportsmobile buy by the pallet load of 20 - 40 units each month & have done for a number of years), or a Isotherm 85.

The preference of the Novakool, in a Roadtrek 190, was the way the unit is configured, all the heat producing components at the rear base, in tandem with the existing cut out vents of the Roadtrek 190 fir the natural chimney effect, versus the Isotherm configuration.

And the simplicity of the Novakool.

Clarification: the Isotherms have more add on, energy saving options & more advanced refrigeration technology.

However, RVs are more susceptible to vibrations, impacts than boats & also for that reason, he recommended the Novakool.

They have dumbed down their technology to that which really matters & what is most reliable.

My teething problems didn't require much modification once I narrowed down the key factors; The 190 has TOO MUCH lower air volume in the vents that needs slight baffling, the extractor fan for the electronic module came from the factory bent at a 45% angle, which at 30%, it works fine & the fact, we are in a Heatwave right now.

Another aspect I enjoyed was the sales & support pre & post sale with Novakool, they know Class B's, especially Roadtrek.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase.

My next project, fine tuning my Charging Systems to meet my new DC demand.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:46 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Novakool, isotherm, truckfridge and probably others all use the same danfoss compressors. All have nearly identical efficiency ratings.
JLO11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:36 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO11111 View Post
Novakool, isotherm, truckfridge and probably others all use the same danfoss compressors. All have nearly identical efficiency ratings.
Yes but.

I believe Isotherm & Vitrifrigo (same company), have better technology beyond the compressor, plus optional add on like ISEC, etc.

Novakool not do much but they do use the same compressor & have a legendary track record built around a very simple design.

I own a new Novakool R3800 & am going through a few teething issues.

Truckfridge is an off brand, lower quality, smaller units designed primarily for the Truck Market - still a good product.

As to the Chest Type fridges there are Engel #1, National Luna just as good if not better & ARB a distant third.

Everything else is Chinese remanufactured units that work until they fail, give poor performance in terms of real amp draw & are very diffivukt to get repaired.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:56 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Yes but.

I believe Isotherm & Vitrifrigo (same company), have better technology beyond the compressor, plus optional add on like ISEC, etc.

Novakool not do much but they do use the same compressor & have a legendary track record built around a very simple design.

I own a new Novakool R3800 & am going through a few teething issues.

Truckfridge is an off brand, lower quality, smaller units designed primarily for the Truck Market - still a good product.

As to the Chest Type fridges there are Engel #1, National Luna just as good if not better & ARB a distant third.

Everything else is Chinese remanufactured units that work until they fail, give poor performance in terms of real amp draw & are very diffivukt to get repaired.
Isotherm has add-ons that can make it better than the NovaKool, but the core technology, the danfoss compressor, is identical. The isotherms also cost a lot more. Both the isotherms and truckfridges are made by Indel-B. I have yet to find anyone that can say they aren't the same product. The isotherms have a prettier face, but appear to be identical to the truckfridges which cost 50% less. I'll probably go the truckfridge route in the future.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:19 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Isotherm has add-ons that can make it better than the NovaKool, but the core technology, the danfoss compressor, is identical. The isotherms also cost a lot more. Both the isotherms and truckfridges are made by Indel-B. I have yet to find anyone that can say they aren't the same product. The isotherms have a prettier face, but appear to be identical to the truckfridges which cost 50% less. I'll probably go the truckfridge route in the future.
You are absolutely correct, Indel/Isotherm make the smaller TruckFridge units, not fancy like the Isotherm & only the small units but good units.

Vitrifrigo is the same company, a Guru I found by accident used to work with Isotherm & Vitrifrigo trying to have them finesse the engineering for the USA Marine market.

Out of the Chest Fridges, National Luna of South Africa have thier own type of conpressor design but they really only sell bigger uniits, I believe in that market they are superior to Engel who uses a Japanese patent swing type compressor, very reliable also.

I think you mentioned for instance the doors, Vitrifrigo & Isothern pride themselves in this area.

I always am near the Pacific Coast but middle America, Novakool for parts. & service networks.

All the useless info I never thought I might need - DO NOT BUY Engel Upright units - a disaster.

I don't know what rig you have but if I was building one from scratch it would be a National Luna or Engel.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:30 AM   #13
Bronze Member

I have a custom built Class B. I tried to purchase the Iso cruise 130, but because of covid they were on backorder and they jacked up the price. I went to the Novakool r4500 because they are just as good (not as pretty) and I could get a hold of one. After I purchased the Nova, I discovered truckfridge and found the t130 was basically the same as the Iso 130 without the pretty face. Live and learn...
Old 08-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a custom built Class B. I tried to purchase the Iso cruise 130, but because of covid they were on backorder and they jackets up the price. I went to the Novakool r4500 because they are just as good (not as pretty) and I could get a hold of one. After I ...
the Nova, I discovered truckfridge and found the t130 was basically the same as the Iso 130 without the pretty face. Live and learn...
When you say a B do you mean something you built by yourself from scratch
Old 08-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I paid a company to build it out for me. I didn't have the space or tools to do it myself. I specified the design and products I wanted and they built it for me. I specified the Isotherm cruise 130, but they were hard to get and folks were price gouging so we switched to the Novakool.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
I paid a company to build it out for me. I didn't have the space or tools to do it myself. I specified the design and products I wanted and they built it for me. I specified the Isotherm cruise 130, but they were hard to get and folks were price gouging so we switched to the Novakool.
Do you have some photos of your entire build?

What is/are your charging systems?

What is your average Amp Hour Draw on the Novacool per 24 hours?
Old 08-27-2020, 10:39 PM   #17
Bronze Member

While I haven't tested the draw, novakool says the r4500 draws 2.2 amps. I have a second alternator for charging. I also have 380w solar on the roof and the standard 30 amp shore power connection, but the second alternator does all the work. The other two are there if I stay put somewhere for a long time. I'll post pics later.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
While I haven't tested the draw, novakool says the r4500 draws 2.2 amps. I have a second alternator for charging. I also have 380w solar on the roof and the standard 30 amp shore power connection, but the second alternator does all the work. The other two are there if I stay put somewhere for a long time. I'll post pics later.
As Booster ,& other Giants amongst us will share; stated amp draw isn't a reliable indicator of usage except perhaps with the Novakools who must be engineered to use a certain amoumt of amp in a linear fashion ie: i have been going through teething profits my Novakool in a Roadtrek - the Engineer waa adamant that even if the unit ran 2.2 amps per hour draw my usage would not be any greater than 52.8ahs.

He was right.

And my issue; a loose ground on the negative side of my battery connections that he diagnosed over the phone.

Now the units cycles on & cycles off but for 4 weeks it ran constantly.

You will also find that the 2.2amp draw only includes the R3800 & smaller, the next step up being the R4500 which is 4.4amps.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:53 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:

You sound much more technically knowledgeable than I.

Looking forward to the photos, Novakools Forever
Old 08-28-2020, 02:29 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Hi, just want to share my ongoing experience with a Novakool 3800 swap I did 3 years ago.
So far so good, shelving part is a bit cheap and the unit need to be manually defrosted every 10 days otherwise the ice accumulation will affect the reaction of the thermostat and the compressor will be running full time, but these are minor flaws IMO. I normally keep the setting at 3 and will have a peak reading of 2.5A on start that goes down to 2.2A after a few seconds. My average power consumption from the battery is around 175watts from the point where the solar panel (250watts) stops providing energy to the first signs of daylight in the morning , (20:00 to 06:00) , I live in Quebec, Canada so these figures are for the summer period. I do not use any inverter , but all detectors are on and some water pump activity occurs during the night
Soyouz9 is offline   Reply With Quote