Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
did

Default Road Trek Water Filter

I have a 1998 Roadtrek 170. I have a leak at the filter on the outlet of the fresh water tank. I'm not sure how the filter comes off. Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks
did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by did View Post
I have a 1998 Roadtrek 170. I have a leak at the filter on the outlet of the fresh water tank. I'm not sure how the filter comes off. Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks
Pix?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
did

this is what the filter looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180526_115045.jpg (231.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20180526_115102.jpg (144.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-26-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I had the same style on my 2000 200 Versatile. It is mounted to a half inch nipple that screwed into the tank. That style has been discontinued, the new style is slightly longer.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
did

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I had the same style on my 2000 200 Versatile. It is mounted to a half inch nipple that screwed into the tank. That style has been discontinued, the new style is slightly longer.
Thanks....so it just screws out.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I just replaced it and the lines heading toward my internal plumbing.
I too saw some black sealant and was worried that it might be glued in, but as previously mentioned the entire filter assembly unscrews and uses 1/2 standard plumbing threading.

I replaced my filter as well because the black rubber seal ring/gasket had lost it's original elasticity. I replaced it with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That new ShurFlo will screw right into your tank and give you the added advantage of having a bottom filter casing that allows you to clean the filter without dissembling the plumbing.

When I screwed in my new filter, I wrapped it liberally with teflon plumber's tape and even ran a bead of silicon between it and the tank... then let the whole thing sit for a couple of days to give the silicon time to set up. It can still be removed if I gave it a good counter-clockwise twist... but no drips at all.

If you go the route of the new filter instead of just trying to wrap the existing threads in tape and re-installing, you're going to find that every piece of new plumbing you put in as a connection issue with that older style grey piping. For me, I ended up cutting out that entire section, adding the new filter and then using PEX tubing with a 3/8" Sharkbite connector to attache the new PEX to the old grey 3/8 inch piping. Your's looks like you've got a fitting much closer than the filter than mine.

For what it's worth, I also dropped the entire fresh water tank, spray cleaned the inside and had new mounting beams made as mine were very bowed.

Good luck and feel free to contact me as I've just gone through all that with my '96 Roadtrek.

-Pete
Quote:
Thanks....so it just screws out.
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
did

Thanks Pete.
I am really glad to hear that ShurFlo works, I just received mine in the mail yesterday and am going to install it tonight!
Thanks for the advice.
Daryl
Old 06-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Pete.
I am really glad to hear that ShurFlo works, I just received mine in the mail yesterday and am going to install it tonight!
Thanks for the advice.
Daryl
You're welcome... and sorry for all the typos! I just re-read what I wrote and my English teacher would have failed me!
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:11 AM   #9

Default How did you drop the fresh water tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post

For what it's worth, I also dropped the entire fresh water tank, spray cleaned the inside and had new mounting beams made as mine were very bowed.

Good luck and feel free to contact me as I've just gone through all that with my '96 Roadtrek.

-Pete
How did you drop the tank? I removed all 3 horizontal mounting beams and the tank did not drop out. It seems to be held in place near the rear end; that is, the front sagged down, but the rear portion remained in place.
JonnyQuestFL is offline   Reply With Quote