Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #1

Default Roadtrek 200 Pop; 2002, 80000m; good choice?

Hi,

I'm planing to buy my very first RV and I have no experience so far. I like the floor plan of the RT 200 and I spotted a RT 200 popular 2002 which I plan to buy. I will do a mechanical inspection and I already tested all features. All seems to be in good working condition.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of vehicle. The base is a Chevrolet Express with a v8 gas engine.

Is this a good vehicle to start with? I would by something newer but I cant afford anything more expensive.

Thanks a lot for the advise.

gombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek 200 Pop; 2002, 80000m; good choice?

We don't have a 200, but from what I have read the major issues involve leaks at the rear window and taillights. Check carefully for signs of water damage or current seepage. The rear window is not intended to open, except as an escape hatch, so it shouldn't be opened for ventilation as it won't reseal properly. Storage hatch hinges also fail but are easily replaced.

From a practical standpoint, the 200s have the most storage of the Roadtreks, and are the only ones without rear doors. No doors are an issue for some folks, not for others. They are also on a shorter wheelbase than the 190 Chevies so they MAY not handle quite as well, but most that have them report they drive very well.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek 200 Pop; 2002, 80000m; good choice?

We have an '02 R/T 190 Versatile with 350c.i. (5.7l.)motor. Have owned for 2+ years & About 26K Miles. No complaints about the R/T camper part of the vehicle (we like cozy). Driveability is acceptable for our purpose - usually long distance. Only issues are: 350 motor is under powered for size & weight, fuel MPG is rather poor (12 to 15.5) even at or below speed limits.
AND it consumes Oil @ about 1 qt in 2500 to 4,000 miles. I change it then anyway... YMMV!!
You didn't mention price/cost. That is relative to Value. We got a good deal (private part), low miles & well equiped. So we can stand the short comings until it gets to about 80K miles.
GOOD LUCK & pls keep us posted on your experiences.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote