Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Roadtrek 200 Popular

I have been looking for info re the 200 popular on the chev chassis with the 350 motor ,and it seems several owners have had water leaks. What has the experience of the forum members ? I also notice the lack of rear doors which could have both negative as well as positive affect as far as use I suppose.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Pro or Con.

Tks,

Scroller
scroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek 200 Popular

Moved topic to General Forum for better visibility.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Silver Member

Thanks Mark.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
Rok
Platinum Member

What started my wife and I on our journey to buying a Class B was when I saw a Roadtrek 200 for sale. The layout in the unit was impressive and I really liked it, but after a lot of investigation, it sounded like the owner had it priced too high despite the fact that it appeared meticulously maintained and that there had been a number of useful modifications added. The clincher was when we did a thorough walk through, despite it's cleanliness, I could smell the odor of a leak "somewhere". We decided to let that one go, but it was a hard decision.

So, I guess what I'm trying to do by chiming in here is that my only, admittedly limited, experience with that model (the RT 200) involved a probable water leak as well.

We ended up buying a GW Legend SE new.

--Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Scroller,

We've had out 200 for 4 years and didn't regret our choice for one minute.

Regarding the lack of rear door. Did you ever notice that nearly all class A, B+ and C motorhomes don't have rear doors. Class Bs built from a van do, but they already came from the chassis' factory with doors ... the converter didn't add them. We've found more positives than negatives.

For one thing, it looks more like a "real" motorhome than a van conversion. The rear storage space is accessible from the outside without exposing the inside of the van to the elements.(Imagine you have doors and your wife is dressing in the rear of the van after a shower and you're putting stuff away outside ... oh how she will love you when you open those rear doors nice and wide )

If you have or install a cargo carrier or bike rack, you don't have to swing it away to access rear storage.

The only negative point we've found is that we would sometimes like the rear window to open, but there are still 2 windows allowing cross-ventilation.

As far as leaks go, they are the big killers for an RV of any type, so whatever you buy, watch out for them. Some people have complained of water coming the rear window, but we haven't had that with ours. When parked with the front of the van lower than the rear, we did once have water coming in from the air conditioner, but that is no different than any RT.

Rust can also be a problem with a van conversion, but much less with the 200 with its fibreglass shell. People with other models have reported finding rust below the area where the air conditioning unit is located, when replacing it. When we changed ours 2 years ago, the bottom of the air conditioner itself was rusted through, but the RT was like new. We just has to pop another AC in there.

William
2000C200P
Sherbrooke, Quebec
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Silver Member

William good to hear your response re the 200 Popular , unfortunately we did not manage to meet the bid on the one we wanted. so are still looking we would prefer that model but are finding them few and far between here in Canada. I am still favoring the Roadtrek but am also looking at Leasure travel and Pleasure way. Perhaps if you decide to upgrade we could be interested in yours or should you hear of a unit for sale please pass along our name.
Tks,
Scroller