Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek 200 Side Door Weather Stripping

Hi,

I have a 1999 Roadtrek 200 on Chevy chassis. The side entry door (behind passenger door) is in desperate need of a replacement weather stripping (aka gasket?). The current one is old and deteriorated such that it whistles while on the road. So far no water leaks but that can't be far off.

I contacted Roadtrek for a part to which they replied there is no part number for the gasket.

Anyone have a suggestion of what to use? Is there "generic" weather stripping material in different shapes that I can try?

Thanks,
Dave R.
Flint, MI
drober05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm not sure it's the same seal but this thread might be a good starting point in your research.

P.S. I would help out more but I don't have access to my RT.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober05 View Post
Hi,

I have a 1999 Roadtrek 200 on Chevy chassis. The side entry door (behind passenger door) is in desperate need of a replacement weather stripping (aka gasket?). The current one is old and deteriorated such that it whistles while on the road. So far no water leaks but that can't be far off.

I contacted Roadtrek for a part to which they replied there is no part number for the gasket.

Anyone have a suggestion of what to use? Is there "generic" weather stripping material in different shapes that I can try?

Thanks,
Dave R.
Flint, MI

Got a picture of the window?

It could be a CR Laurance window, or a motion window.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Do a search on Google. Put in your year and Chevy van (exact name and model of the van).

Also try to pull off a section, if possible, and get a view of the cross section. There are companies that just sell weather stripping and you buy it by cross section and by the foot.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the several very prompt responses. The first post from Mat Mobile with link to the forum might be what I am looking for although mine is for the side door whereas the linked discussion is for the storage compartments (might be the same seal I don't know). I might go ahead and order some of that since my storage compartments need new seals also.

As far as using the GM part for the side door, the RT 200 is a full shell on the back of a cutaway van so I don't think it is the same door as on the regular van like would be used on the RT 170 and 190.

I'll take some measurements on the current seal and probably wind up getting a generic seal as suggested by jmai. I was hoping maybe somebody else had replaced the seal and had a recommended one to use.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
As far as using the GM part for the side door, the RT 200 is a full shell on the back of a cutaway van so I don't think it is the same door as on the regular van like would be used on the RT 170 and 190
My guess is that Roadtrek used a standard, off the shelf seal, as opposed to designing and making their own design and then having it made. Keep searching and you will probably find an exact match.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the several very prompt responses. The first post from Mat Mobile with link to the forum might be what I am looking for although mine is for the side door whereas the linked discussion is for the storage compartments (might be the same seal I don't know). I might go ahead and order some of that since my storage compartments need new seals also.
drober, I'm glad the info was useful but I just realized that they are different. The compartments are D-shaped seals and the door has a notch to fit on pinch weld all around the door. I do think it's a pretty standard weatherstripping. I'll keep searching too.

Looks kind of like this:

(Sorry. It's kind of a pointless comment but I just wanted to prevent you from buying the wrong thing.)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #8

Mat,

Thanks for the photo of the seal on your RT. It appears different from the one on mine. Mine does not slide onto the pinch weld around the door. Instead it uses adhesive to attach to the inside of the door. The profile of the rubber is about the same as in your photo. I measured the seal and the rounded portions appears to be roughly 5/8" wide and about the same thick. I'm wondering if it has been replaced by the previous owner and may have had the one you show prior. Does the black clip go all the way around the outside of the door? Visible from outside when the door is closed?

I'll take some photos of mine and upload.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

Photos of my door seal.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
Platinum Member

That is not the weatherstrip used on the 200 fiberglass door. There is no grip channel and the door edge is not used to anchor the stripping. It simply glues to the door in the "appropiate" spot. Just had to reattach part of the strip on my 200 door. I used the 3M "77" stuff.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #11

I wonder if this might work?

https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Trim...on%2Bseal&th=1

Need to double check dimensions of door. I'm guessing on the edge thickness as 1/8". On Amazon they offer a wide range of bulb diameters and edge thicknesses. My existing seal is deformed through usage so hard to get good measurements.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #12

SteveJ,

Thanks for your input. Sounds like your RT200 has similar seal to what is on mine. Do you happen to have diameter of the "bulb" part? Does yours look like the pictures I posted from mine?
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Sorry... My bad. I thought you meant the weatherstrip on the body for the side door.

I will quietly walk away from this conversation in shame...
Old 03-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #14

This one looks pretty close to what is on my side door right now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_3_w

Although the 1/2" thickness is less than what I measured for the bulb. They don't seem to offer a thicker one.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
SteveJ,

Thanks for your input. Sounds like your RT200 has similar seal to what is on mine. Do you happen to have diameter of the "bulb" part? Does yours look like the pictures I posted from mine?
It's not the same. Iff'n you want I can either text or email a few pics I have taken. Shoot me a PM with contact info. Posting pics from my Google account to a forum is beyond my technical capabilities. Sorry.

Another possibility is would be a personal eyes on, depending on where you live and how big a hurry you are in. I live in central FL. I will be leaving in about 2 weeks or so for a trip to Minnesota with stops New Orleans and central/northern Arkansas. In mid May, will be departing for Idaho and then southern B.C. Will any of that work?

I'll try Googling up the door weatherstrip. I also have a smaller one attached to the door frame. Tough to describe. The pics would help.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:56 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
This one looks pretty close to what is on my side door right now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_3_w

Although the 1/2" thickness is less than what I measured for the bulb. They don't seem to offer a thicker one.
If you really want to find a replacement you need data..real dimensions and not close guesses.

1. Measure the depth of the seal-the part that attaches to the frame.

2. Measure the height of the bulb.

3. Take a picture or sketch a picture of the profile-that will insure a definite fit.

Once you have actual measurements, then search for automobile door rubber weatherstripping

There are literally hundreds of profiles and sizes and you may not find it on Amazon. You will have better luck with an actual rubber extrusion company or a automobile restoration company that specializes in rubber weatherstripping.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:32 AM   #17
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is a sample

https://www.mcmaster.com/#door-gaskets/=1c35veh

Look under door gaskets -- edge seals

Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #18

Hi Joe, I suspected that would be the case. Was hoping maybe somebody had replaced theirs.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:46 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Its always easier when you can find a part number or a reference. But there is satisfaction in the search, especially when you find the part.

Several years ago, I restored an Italian sports car and had to search for several parts. It takes a bit of effort, but when you find it, its a great feeling, and in my case, usually cheaper. I had to replace an interior dome light and I knew it wasn't made by the car manufacturer, but I had no leads. So I ordered it from the dealer and paid $114.00. When I got it, I noticed it was made by Hella (an electrical parts supplier) and started to see what other vehicles used the same light. Lots of internet searching and picture matching but I found it. I went on line and found the exact same light for $14.95 from Rock Auto. needless to say, the first one was returned.

Keep searching, your seal is out there somewhere!