Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2023, 01:30 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default roadtrek 210

Has anyone had a roof peeling issue? If so, what would be an approximate price to have it fixed? In looking at pictures of the unit I am looking at I can't tell if is just the clear coat or the paint also.
thank you
ph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi .. IF your van ia a Chevy 3500 ,it will most likly have a peeling problem . We paid 2k to get the top and around the windshirld ,to include the back dooks and spare wheel cover painted. They did to the awning on one side and to the rain/drip line on the drivers side.
Your and our 2008 were part of a bad batch . I think there was a class action sue over it, but that is way in the past.You may have noticed some of these vans on the road .this was a GM problen ,not RT. you should get lots of replys this is a well known problem with LOTS of dif. solutions.
good hunting
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have an 08 Chevy Lexor with no paint issues, but you are partially correct about a known paint problem with white only. I did have a bad fading problem on my gold color roof, the fiberglass section, but I believe that was due mainly with the sunshiny days we have here in Southern California. I had it vinyl wrapped, I think it was $1500 and it turned out decent. I eventually plan to paint the entire PleasureWay, it at least 1-2 years away.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Here’s a picture
Attached Images
File Type: png 9D889536-DEF2-4BCE-8328-082ED994A671.png (1.25 MB, 18 views)
Old 01-12-2023, 11:51 PM   #5
Silver Member

I never seen a vinyl wrap. Who did it for you?
Old 01-13-2023, 12:35 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph007 View Post
For us, vinyl wrap was a good investment for our RT 190 Ranger. Seven years ago we put it on the hood, front side panels, and the front bumper before RVing to Alaska. It protects paint and chrome against UV, rocks, scrape, keying damage and also adds reflective shine to the paint. Ours has eleven thin layers of protection. There are several product options.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:08 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can't recall, but if you search auto vinyl wrap in your area there are numerous one out there. I think the place I used was in Temecula, California
Old 01-13-2023, 03:15 AM   #8
Platinum Member

side view of wrap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV wrapONE.jpg (83.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-13-2023, 12:40 PM   #9
Silver Member

Thank you for the information. I am going to look into it. As for now, we are having the roof repainted this coming week. I hope this will take care of the original paint peeling issue.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:57 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you for the information. I am going to look into it. As for now, we are having the roof repainted this coming week. I hope this will take care of the original paint peeling issue.
FYI ... Our paint was not fresh when we covered it with the plastic wrap. My understanding is that new paint should not be wrapped until after it has had time to cure/harden. Also, when we researched which wrap to buy, we discovered that some products had a reputation for “yellowing” over time due to UV.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #11
Gold Member

FWIW - I threw some white vinyl wrap on the hood of my 02 190 Chevy. Does not look too good because I did it, but it is way better than having a hood that was peeling paint like a hard boiled egg. Figured it was better to have some protection until I get it repainted some day.

I also used some on the back doors which have the same paint peeling issue.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

My 2008C210P had serious clearcoat pealing on the roof area. Because I had some other paint issues on the body (hood) we decided on a repaint. We had it done in Tucson last spring. Cost for full repaint with two part clearcoat was $4,900. Very happy with the outcome.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:56 PM   #13
Platinum Member

glad to see you're getting some more info.
Just reading through ,I remembered that we had done the hood area a couple of years before the top . I don't remember the cost.
Yes, the peeling problem is mostly white vans ,I forget there are other colors.
We had read about wrap before we painted , but we have a fairly reliable auto painter,not cheap but good and reliable.
We have been happy with our choice,so far
Good luck
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote