Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek 210 Popular water leak caused from my AC unit?

I have a 2005 Roadtrek 210 popular with a heat pump AC unit. I just purchased it a month ago, used the AC/Heat pump unit for a few hours when it was hot out. I never noticed until just today, a water stain in the right rear interior corner of the van. it is directly above the right rear side window and adjacent to the AC unit. The storage compartment above the stained area is dry and shows no signs of leakage or water intrusion.

My suspicion is a clogged drain from the AC. But because this camper is totally new to me, I don't know where to look for the drain. Also Is there a way to clean the water marks safely? The stains are on the side liner material surrounding the bed in the right rear.

Any Ideas or advice is most appreciated!
SilverTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #2

Default Re: Roadtrek 210 Popular water leak caused from my AC unit?

I recently fixed a similar leak appearing as wet in the left rear corner of our 94 Roadtrek 190 popular. It had been something that happened intermittently over the past several years and nobody has been able to properly diagnose or fix it before. The storage unit was also dry.

The cause was not what I had been expecting.

When the two A/C vent holes are cut in the rear of the fibreglass top during manufacture, Roadtrek adds a metal rod on the inside along the remaining thin horizontal part between the vents. It is encapsulated with glass matting and resin, as a structural stiffener. Somehow, over time, through defects in the fibreglass attaching this rod, water got in and rusted the rod along its length and formed a leakage path through into the interior on the left. It could just as easily have rusted towards the right. The rod continues through the vertical bulkheads either side of the A/C space. Expansion, probably due to the rusting and maybe ice formation has popped a split in the fibreglass inside the cabin high up on the left. It would be very hard to see this without removing a lot of trim parts on the inside, I used a video borescope to confirm it. Water ran down to the rim of the original metal roofline of the van and around to the side closer to the side window where it found an outlet to drip down.

I had to remove the two vent panels from the outside. I cleaned up and dried the area and I coated the whole of the rod and the various splits in the fibreglass with a sealer. No water has come in since I did this.

I also found several holes in the sealing of the two side bulkheads either side of the A/C unit, that apprently had always been there from new. However all were apparently too high up to have caused a leak. However, that might be your problem.

The 210 is a bit different structurally but hopefully this is helpful to you and other Roadtrek owners. I have not seen this problem noted anywhere else.
Roadtrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #3

I forgot to mention, I have cleaned the interior successfully with a spot carpet steam cleaner, the Bissell Little Green Machine.
Roadtrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Has it been parked on a level lot? I have heard if if the front is facing down, the water from the Roof AC unit can somehow get in.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Platinum Member

SilverTrek,
From another post, I see that you are not new to forums, just new to this one.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo, showing the location and severity of the stain? This would allow us to better help with a solution.

Welcome to the Class B forum.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #6

Hi Photog, yes I will try to photograph the troubled spot. the stain so far seems to be removeable, but I will post some photos as soon as I can. I see you're in Gig Harbor. It's a lovely place. We bought our boat from a man there.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #7

Also to all those who have commented so far, THANK YOU! I still have not conducted a search for the leak, as I'm in a lot of pain and waiting for my hip surgery coming up Nov. 15th. I am quite certain though that the leak was generated by the A/C unit, and not from simple rain. The vehicle was parked on fairly level ground, just not perfectly level. Seems it should have been OK, but still have my hunch that there is a drain system plugged up.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
Silver Member

We have a 2001 200P with what looks like the same issue. What I found was the gaskets for the brake lights were leaking, staining the walls, the base under the mattress, etc. I contacted Chevy, and they did not sell the foam gaskets, but I could but new brakelight units at $145 each. I too thought the AC was leaking, but after testing with water(and loving wife inside the Trek) I was able to resolve the leaking problem with a $3 tube of crystal clear silicone and caulking around the brake light lenses. I hope this works for you.
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #9

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm thinking it still is the AC, as the water stained area is higher than the taillights. I took a fairly good look today as it was sunny and bright out. Didn't really discover much, other than what I expected to find, leaves and dirt. I'll clean all that out this winter, go over the entire roof, looking for potential leaks. Anyone have a favorite sealant other than silicone?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmanvt
We have a 2001 200P with what looks like the same issue. What I found was the gaskets for the brake lights were leaking, staining the walls, the base under the mattress, etc. I contacted Chevy, and they did not sell the foam gaskets, but I could but new brakelight units at $145 each. I too thought the AC was leaking, but after testing with water(and loving wife inside the Trek) I was able to resolve the leaking problem with a $3 tube of crystal clear silicone and caulking around the brake light lenses. I hope this works for you.
This sounds very much like this could be my problem. I have been revovering from a hip surgery that was problematic, so have not been able to do much, other than to try to clean the stain. What I have found so far after doing that, is the stain(s) have come back and or new ones have appeared.

So it looks like there is still a leak, and I'll need to cover it up so that no more water can enter.

I have looked breifly at the tail lights, but have'nt figured out how to remove.
One BIG problem in Washington State, is Rain.....and no place under cover to work on the coach. So, thanks for the advice, what has been shared so far is greatly appreciated. I'll be checking things out here and will post what I find out as this repair progresses.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Bronze Member

This has been a problem in our 2004 190-P Roadtrek, too. One time, during the winter, water leaked in a bit, but had dried up when we opened the camper up. The next time it happened when we drove through a heavy rain (blowing sideways) for several miles, got to our destination (more blowing rain) and at night went out to sleep in it and all the bedding on the right side was quite damp. We could see several places where the water had come in below the a/c unit and along the sidewalls.

We took it to a dealer (who was not familiar with Roadtreks) and they checked it out and did some caulking on the outside of the a/c. That was last fall and although we have not been through a lot of rain or snow this winter, so far we have not had any more leaking.

So now we are wondering if it was just blowing rain or something else like a rusting rod inside. Hummm.

BTW - We had success with the stains coming off by using Folex Carpet Shampoo available at Lowes.
ClassBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #12

That's good to know, and I'm happy to hear your case. I still haven't figured out the source, but it's quite disturbing. At this point, I'm now convinced that it is NOT a leak from the tail light. I have been recuperating from my hip surgery and haven't had an opportunity to track down the source.

I'm hoping if I send a set of photos to Roadtrek, they might be able to help. Good luck to all who are having similar problems, and I'll keep this post alive, as I'm sure this will be useful info in the future.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #13

Default Roadtrek 200 AC cabin leak after a storm

Well, I accidentally left my Roadtrek 200 facing downward. After a storm, searched and found the massive leak in front of the AC. The junction between the black bottom metal plate and AC. No water was draining from that black pan. ...sigh... I wish they had diagrams of this. Don't know where to go from here... all suggestions welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150919_135637_Guy St.jpg (127.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20150919_135711_Guy St.jpg (82.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20150919_135803_Guy St.jpg (87.8 KB, 54 views)
nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #14

Default Roadtrek 200 AC cabin leak after a storm

Hi Nestor,

I can't say I have a fix for your issue, but I can empathize. I believe I am also seeing a leak that may be coming through the A/C area. I had read about not parking the 200 "nose down", so I have been making sure not to do this, but still even in a light rain I am getting water along the back wall of the sleeping area. I think, but I'm not certain, that water is dripping down after getting into the vent/grate opening in the roof where the back of the A/C is located.

I can see that water is entering that area, so I assume there must be some method for the water to drain out, and my guess is that the drain is clogged or otherwise not functioning. I've asked RT for suggestions as I cannot see any easy way to get that grate off to inspect it. If I come up with some solution I'll post back in case it might be useful for anyone else.
bkhundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #15

I am having the same issue. New to me a couple of months ago, 2001 Roadtrek 200 Popular. I noticed the bedding was damp. It turned out it was because of wetness along the bed frame and wall, concentrated mostly in the rear corner, passenger side. I have read of so many people trying different things without success. So, what do I do? Caulk the taillights? Do something with the A/C? Not sure where to begin. I am also having water pour in the side door during heavy rain. Is that just the gasket needing replacing?
Earthsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:32 AM   #16

I had extensive damage to our bed and wet walls inside our 02 popular 200 due to water leaking around the tail lights. There is a vinyl tube that diverts the water back inside the cab and then back out behind the bumper. Because of the the dust, this small tube plugs up. I changed out the tube to a much larger tube and the water that was coming in stopped. This was not easy, as I had to remove the inside panels and seeing this tube was just unbelievable to me that they actually diverted water inside the cab and then back out!!!! Out of fear, I use painters tape and cover the entire taillight with clear plastic because of the large gap around the tail light and fiberglas body
roadytreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Roadytreker, did you ever determine if this resolved your issue or not? I have just found the same thing after parking nose down 1000 miles from home.

I suspect I have a clogged AC condensation vent hose. Where did you find yours? How easy/difficult was it to access it?

My post is here: 2003 Roadtrek 200 Popular AC area leaks when raining - Class B Forums

I've added a pic of my AC cover on the roof. I have heard that this seal can leak. I am going to try and repair/replace it and also the "well nuts" that hold it in place which I am told are not reusable.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0195.PNG (1.10 MB, 36 views)
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:27 AM   #18
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTrek View Post
I have a 2005 Roadtrek 210 popular with a heat pump AC unit. I just purchased it a month ago, used the AC/Heat pump unit for a few hours when it was hot out. I never noticed until just today, a water stain in the right rear interior corner of the van. it is directly above the right rear side window and adjacent to the AC unit. The storage compartment above the stained area is dry and shows no signs of leakage or water intrusion.

My suspicion is a clogged drain from the AC. But because this camper is totally new to me, I don't know where to look for the drain. Also Is there a way to clean the water marks safely? The stains are on the side liner material surrounding the bed in the right rear.

Any Ideas or advice is most appreciated!
The product I have always used is Woolite Oxy Deep Stain Remover. I have tried others, but this one has proven to be the safest and most effective method of removing water stains from ceilings, drapes, carpets and even upholstery that I have found.
Reference site: https://axleaddict.com/rvs/RV-Water-Stain-Repair-Tips
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:57 AM   #19

Hi , did you ever find the source of the leak? mine is leaking in the exact same rear corner down to the bed platform. Have not found it and it has leaked for the last 3 years! Caulked many areas to no avail. Even caught the air conditioner cover seams.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #20
Platinum Member

We have a 2007 RT 210 Versatile. Did not have any AC leaks but read about plenty of owners that did.
I researched this issue and did an easy $20 fix.

Look up AC leaks on this form under my user name and see what I did

Here in Florida we use our AC ALOT and after I did the fix/modification we have never had a leak and the water
From the AC drains out to the ground.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote