Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2022, 03:57 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Roadtrek 210 Pull Out Table

Well, it certainly was cold in Texas over Christmas. Our Roadtrek 210 was parked in the driveway, and when I entered to check it one morning I found the
pull out table covering was cracked. Apparently it got too cold and shrunk. Does anyone know what this covering is? It appears to be a shrink wrap like material. Any suggestions on recovering? As a woodworker I'm contemplating removal of the covering, and depending on what kind wood is below, just sanding and applying a few coats of Minwax Polycrylics. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek 210 Popular Pull Out Table.JPG (50.9 KB, 27 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I went out and inspected the pullout table on our 2007 RT 210P and ours remains flawless, probably because it has always been stored inside a HVAC controlled environment.

I had never really looked at it closely before and a casual observer would notice no difference in the surface of it and the kitchen countertop. On closer inspection I could see how it was constructed as you described but after lasting all these years, I am surprised it cracked as shown in your photo.

It looks like the edging on yours remains just fine. You probably are on the right track of just refinishing the top. I have added a few shelves and a custom built armoire for our 210 over the years. I built them out of birch plywood and mixed a stain to match the factory finished cabinets. It would take a woodworker's eye (someone like you) to notice differences.

Sorry it happened and I still don't understand why it would. I have been active on these B forums for twenty years and I don't recall ever hearing about this from anyone else.

Your pic does show a significant difference in the appearance of the table finish and the countertop finish. Our's is close to identical in color. Wonder if they changed the table from the 2007 to 2008 years?
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:54 PM   #3
Bronze Member

We have a 92D190P which has sat out every winter since 2015 in Wisconsin. Perhaps the older tables (not slide outs) were made differently. BUT, what about going to a Menards-type hardware store and getting a small piece of countertop laminate? We made a stove cover out of that and it looks great. Glue it on and you're good to go? Happy New Year and keep on camping!
Kobieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Our 07C210P Roadtrek had the pull out table covering crack a few years ago. After removing the table, the covering peels off easily. I just sanded it a little and used poly urethane on it. The wood color was a very good match for the cabinet color. Looks good.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:32 PM   #5

2010 210 P. Ours did the same. We pulled the old stuff off, lightly sanded and polyurethaned. It’s brown but not an uncomfortable brown.
Charles Neubauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #6

Our 2008 RT 210 Popular had the same thing happen to it. The cold weather did a job on it. I may have made a mistake but I just applied glue to the pieces that had popped up and pressed them down. Now just looks like the top has some crack lines. I think if I had to do it over I would not have used the glue.

Hopefully other Roadtrekers have good ideas.
cuppmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppmobile View Post
Our 2008 RT 210 Popular had the same thing happen to it. The cold weather did a job on it. I may have made a mistake but I just applied glue to the pieces that had popped up and pressed them down. Now just looks like the top has some crack lines. I think if I had to do it over I would not have used the glue.

Hopefully other Roadtrekers have good ideas.

If I had an issue like that, I would go to the home center and buy a sheet of self adhesive wood veneer. It is pretty easy to install and use a clothes iron to activate the glue. Just remove the old peeling stuff, sand it a bit to level it out, iron on the veneer, trim it with a razor knife and finish it to whatever stain and finish you want. You could do the same with formica, but it is harder to put on and get all the bubbles out as you use contact cement and it is hard to find small pieces to buy unless a local cabinet shop has some left overs.

Our 07 190P Roadtrek had a pull out, flip up, table that had similar construction, but it was too big to walk around to get to the seats when fully up. I made a smaller top for it out of light weight plywood finished to match the van light maple.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:21 AM   #8
Gold Member

Default Update - Table Fixed!

I'm still baffled why the recent cold weather cracked the table cover because we've had far colder temperatures in previous years.

I was hoping the core of the pull out table was such that I could refinish to match a table I build to replace the main table in the rear of our coach (pic attached - this wood table is a little smaller than the original but provides plenty of room for the two of us, and it's much lighter and easier for one person to store and retrieve) but the pull out table is fiberboard.

In any case, considering the table is a tight fit and the original coating is .012in thick, I settled on recovering the fiberboard table with a vinyl contact paper that is water and oil proof, and is used for countertops. It's thinner than the original coating but still gives a tight fit, which prevents the table from sliding out on its own.

Many online video's demonstrate how the vinyl can be heated and stretched tight around round corners, but I was unsuccessful in two attempts at making nice smooth round corners (and I had a lot of experience with heat guns coating R/C planes). So I ended cheating and covering the front round corners with small pieces. But hey, it's a 15 year old RV with 154K+ miles, so the price of this fix, $22, was right, and it's more than good enough for the girls I go camping with!

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pull Out Table Recover.jpg (107.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Pull Out Table.jpg (109.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Table corner.jpg (76.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg New Rear Table _.jpg (110.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20180727_120707.jpg (257.7 KB, 3 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:20 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Looks great! I made a wooden table for the back very similar to the one you show in the pictures. The original RT table is just too darn heavy and cumbersome. We have a twin bed configuration in our 210 and the table stores under the driver's side twin. I also made a smaller table to use when we are just having snacks. I made it using the top of an old TV tray. Both work great, are small and much better than the original for our use.

Your picture of "the girls" reminds me of our first B, an Intervec Horizon. We took an almost three thousand mile trip over several weeks and our beagle/cocker/stray taken in made the whole trip in my wife's lap. That was almost forty years ago and we still smile about that trip. Bs made good memories.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Anybody know the brand name of a slide out, fold up table that would slip behind the drivers seat? I have seen them so they exist but cannot find a vendor.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:45 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I took the table to a cabinet shop. I told them that thickness had to be maintained. They planed it down and glued Formica to the top. They had a leftover scrap they used to keep cost down. About $75 4 years ago. Turned out great!
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote