Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Roadtrek 210 vs Pleasure-Way

Which one of these models are better 2006 Roadtrek 210 or 2011 Pleasure-Way Excel? My main concerns are road handling and fuel mileage. Is the Chevy 6.0 on a 3500 chassis better than the Ford 5.8 on a E350 chassis? I know its hard to say but I would like to here from owners of both models. Thank you
ph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph007 View Post
Which one of these models are better 2006 Roadtrek 210 or 2011 Pleasure-Way Excel? My main concerns are road handling and fuel mileage. Is the Chevy 6.0 on a 3500 chassis better than the Ford 5.8 on a E350 chassis? I know its hard to say but I would like to here from owners of both models. Thank you

Based on what we have seen on the forum over the years they both have plusses and minuses.

The 210 will likely handle substantially better stock and can be improved further. The Excel on the Ford can be made better but the short wheelbase hurts handling.

The 210 will have very low road clearance compared to the Ford. Many 210 owners have lifter them a couple of inches so they are back at stock empty van height.

The Excel if it has a V10 will get quite poor mileage, much better with smaller 5.4L V8. The 6.0 Chevy gets decent with most who have the 4 speed auto like is in the 06 210 seem to report 13-16mpg.

The 210 will have quite low load capacity and some have trouble staying within the GVWR. I can't say offhand about the Excel in that respect.

The 4 speed Chevies do have a tendency to run hot in the mountains. Mostly due to transmission heat up.

Both seem to be quite reliable and fixable anywhere.

I would give the PW a bit of an edge over Roadtrek even in 2006.

We see a lot more 210s on here than Ford Excels so there is a lot more information on them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I am a happy "narrow" PW lexor owner.

A PW group I frequent has constant posts from people who complain about the Excel handling- no surprise it is driving an inverted pyramid and the owners seem to have bought thinking they'd have the handling of a Camry from what is really a UHaul.

I don't think they test drove.

I think the R/T 210 has a real edge here.

I love the chev in this application.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:56 PM   #4

Default Roadtrek vs PW

I owned a 2007 RT 210 and now own. 2014 PW Plateau.
The Pw is on a Sprinter 3500 chassis. It has a 4 cylinder turbo diesel . I upgraded the suspension with Fox shocks and sway bar from Agile Off Road in California. I get 23-27 mpg with the PW driving 60-65 mph. More if I drive slower. I love the handling with the suspension upgrades. The RT always made me nervous and swayed when trucks passed me. Driving the PW almost feels like driving my minivan. I think the PW is more nicely constructed. I suggest you add the Sprinter vans to your list of candidates to test drive. I bought used in Florida just before Covid hit. Paid 75K for a 150k van with 35000 miles on it. Good luck.
andrewtschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:06 PM   #5
Gold Member

I agree with Booster. I have had all fords with the V10 in class A's B+, and C's. And now I own a RT 210 Chevy 6.0L. The ford is like Teddy Roosevelt-A rough rider. It gets poor fuel mileage and a high revver. So far I am enjoying the 16+ MPG and softer ride with the Chevy. Ask me after I take a long trip. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph007 View Post
I have a PleasureWay Chevy Lexor. From the FB Group I'm in, I can tell you that the Chevy is way better handling. MPG seem to be about the same, although I would think the Chevy is a bit better. Mine is a 6 liter, so it does use more than some of the RoadTreks
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

In 2011 we were looking for a B and had narrowed down to the RT 210 and the PW Excel. I attended the Pennsylvania RV show and toured several PW Excels as a PW group was camping near the show. The PW owners were ecstatic about their Excels. We also toured the RT 210 at the show. Jeff Hanemeyer (RT company owner at the time) took us through the 210. Construction of the Excel looked a little better, though both were very good. At the time, I only knew a little about handling issues for either. I felt that these could be fixed on either unit and since them have done several mods to the 2006 RT 210P I eventually found used a few months later. In the end we went with the floorplan that we felt worked best. That is what I would suggest you do. Find the unit you will like the best living in. The large bathroom was a big plus for my wife (me too). Some don't feel they need the big bath, so that is individual preference thing. We also liked the big bed, the external storage and the kitchen setup. The 3-seats up front were a plus for us too. The downside was it is bigger and parking would be harder, though that has not been a big issue for us. Since buying, a BIG plus has been this forum and the Chevy RT (and a few PW Chevy owners) that frequent here.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote