Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default Roadtrek Bumper Covers......

Looking at a 2004 190P. It has the bumper covers, both ends. The front one is cracked, not from a hit, but a stress crack. We didn't want the bumper covers anyway, so, what's underneath those covers?? Is it in the case of the front bumper, the original bumper?? or is the cover mounted by itself.
The rear cover is probably a special combo metal bumper/cover just made for the Chevy. Am I right? Can I just take these covers off and have the original Chevy bumpers??

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Wish I could help. Will the seller let you poke around (or is it not nearby)?

I don't have the bumper covers on mine.

Why don't you send a PM to Steve from Roadtrek - I know he'd like you to buy new but I think he'll be able to get that info to you quickly
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Going to look at it today, Tuesday. It 100 miles away, so I'll have to remember to look at that specifically.
Marco, I know yours doesn't have the covers, it's what made us decide we didn't want them. Looks much!! better without we think.
This is a differently equipped one. No TV or spare tire carrier. Has generator and wiring etc. for the TV, DVD etc. Also not a rear seat belt model, it's a 190P with the divider in back with the drawer unit. Has cloth and ground effects kit, also painted steel wheels. White & Mocha.
Haven't seen many like this one.....

Old 02-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Does it have 3 seats up front?

The divider you mention - is that the nightstand? If so, it is held in place with two wing nuts. You remove it to make up the king bed. I put the night stand up between the front seats or under the king bed (if I'm not using the furnace) when we set up the king bed.

I'm curious to know if it has the 600 watt Tripp Lite inverter under the drivers side bed. There's no mention of it in the 2004 manual but it is in my unit.

Check the slide out battery tray. It can seize if not greased periodically. I read where someone had to have it cut out! With normal maintenance it is not a problem.

You already know it doesn't have the enclosed bathroom.

If you're tall go through the motions of brushing your teeth or shaving and see if it's ok for you as the Microwave gets in the way a bit.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks Marco, it's the nightstand. Couldn't think of the name of it.
I've already called RT and found out this unit can be switched to a 2 seat belt model. Expensive though$$$$.
I also forgot to mention that it doesn't have an awning either. More $$$ I'd need to throw at it. That would be low priority though.

This unit is on e-bay if anybody wants to look at it. 150096048303 is it's listing no.
I think he'll sell it no problem. I know what the reserve price is, he told me. In the end, he may not get what he truly wants for it though.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I got a quote for the seat belt kit also........

Good thing I was sitting down

Do you know what comes with the kit? Obviously the seat belts and anchors, the seat cushion but maybe it includes a new back cushion as well.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:35 AM   #7
Platinum Member

We just got back from looking at the 190P. Except for a couple minor things inside, it would pass as new. The stainless splash guard that's on the drivers end of the stove is marred up from being scraped by the stove cover. And the countertop is cracked, (minor), just to the left top of the sink. Otherwise, the interior is as new. Even the carpet.
As I thought, both bumper covers are cracked, not from being hit, but stress cracks I imagine. I have yet to see a used one front or rear that's not cracked somewhere. Heck, we've looked at 2 brand new ones that were cracked also. And as usual, the non-skid patches on the rear bumper are peeling off. The factory chrome bumpers are under the RT covers. The rear bumper has been drilled in several spots to bolt the cover to. The front? Didn't see any drilled holes, but I didn't dwell on the bumpers a whole lot either.
The exterior is darn near perfect, except it's in bad need of a good wax job, especially the RT part of the roof.
The van is just ready to turn 17000mi. In service date of 6-10-2005. Lots of warranty left. Ran and drove great.
Generator has 46 hrs. on it, oil has never been changed, but it's been run faithfully to keep it running right. And it started and ran perfect. Didn't put any load on it though.

Lets see??? We'd have to buy: the seatbelt kit with seat cushions, plus install labor maybe, the spare tire carrier, a TV and swivel arm, some chrome or aluminum wheels and an awning to make it what we want in an RT. Those factory painted wheels are just awful. They make it look like a glorified delivery van!

What do you think??

Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

My first reaction is that it isn't exactly what you want. However, you've been searching quite a bit and you know a lot about this model. Trust how you feel on this one and go with that feeling.

Do you figure $2,500 to $3,000 for the TV, Awning, Continental tire kit, Wheels and rear seat belt kit? That's my guess-timate.

How bad is the kitchen sink crack? It would be one heck of a job to replace if you think it could get worse. Any chance that it is a warranty item?

RT warranties were improved in 2005. Some things on my 2004 were limited to a 1 yr warranty. You can download an owner manual from RT's site.

The low mileage is a real plus.

The bumper covers worry me a bit - what are you going to do? Fix them? Might be better than removing if there are holes under. Probable easy for a body shop to fix.

RT offers US$5,000 Cash Back on new 2005 & 2004 Roadtrek 170, 190 & 210 models (on 2004 model year chassis).
Old 02-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Platinum Member

If you are a "project" guy this could be fun for you as well.

Low mileage, newer RT, good condition are all positives.

Buy, build or have a swing away tire carrier built would be better than the lift up/down one.........

I'd look into wheel covers (hubcaps)..........

There's a tiny crack in my counter top as well (I can't remember exactly where it is) It is easier to feel it than to see it.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

The counter crack is a feel it to see it, it's not that obvious.
You obviously don't like the drop down spare tire carrier?
Yeah, I figure the upgrade price will be between $2-3000, not to mention the hassle.
I used to be a project kinda guy, but I can't get into it anymore. Just wore out I guess from working on a GM assembly line for 34 years. I do my own oil changes and tinkering, but that's about it now.
Check out e-bay for a really nice looking 2003 190P.......

Old 02-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Van City sent us 2 passes to the Kansas City RV show this weekend. We are going tomorrow. They've got a leftover 2006 190P loaded that I'm going to make them an offer on I think. They probably won't take it, but we'll see.
It will max out our credit line, but it'll be brand new too......
We are going to look at the Pleasure-ways also. Never seen one in person. He's supposed to have a Lexor or 2 there.
Incidentally, there seems to be alot of left over PW's, both 2005 & 2006 available. Be interesting to compare them....

Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The drop down tire carrier is heavy. Too much for my wife.
Couple the heavy weight when it is dirty or wet………

If you don’t need to open both doors it’s not a problem. I need both doors open to get my lounge chairs in & out.

I’m adding some springs to mine. Might be able to test it this weekend.

__________________________________________________ _______

You seem very calm & level headed re: the buying process.
That's great. You'll do well.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Springs for the tire carrier or rear axle?

Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Springs for the tire carrier to help with the weight. I've been picking up some parts.

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=276

It's an experiment - I don't know if it will work
Old 03-02-2007, 04:11 AM   #15
Platinum Member

bobojay

Congratulations on your new 2007 Chevrolet Pleasure-Way Lexor TS!