Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeBLUEGRASS View Post
Wow! Thanks for all of the advice and leads. I've been searching Roadtrek International, rvt, rvtrader and Searchtempest every day. 170's are definitely more rare than 190's.

While I'm leaning to pre-2000 vintage (both due to price and a desire for more of a 'classic' feel...I think a set of white letter tires would be cool!), there are probably issues going back that far: lack of airbags, parts availability, etc.

If I see one, can I show it to you for your thoughts?

Thanks again for your time.
You might also keep an eye on ebay. I'm on my 3rd Class B, a 1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular, but I found all 3 on ebay. The first was a 1998 Coach House Wide Body, and the second was a 2000 Coach House. The Coach Houses were the same size as the 190, and all 3 are on the Dodge chassis. I got my first one about 12 or 13 years ago and have had the Roadtrek around 7 or 8 years. I can attest that it's easy to get mechanical repairs done. It's also easy to get these towed out of mud or put up on a flatbed since they don't need a big heavy duty tow truck. The regular tow truck will do. My regular driver is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, and the only things I miss not having on the Roadtrek is the Caravan's overhead console that shows the temperature outside and the number of gallons of gas left and having windshield wipers or defrost on the rear window. I haven't had to do any renovations, in terms of upholstery, etc., on any of them. The house part on all 3 have been in good condition. I've only had to have some mechanical work done or tires replaced (on the Roadtrek) when I first bought them due to not being used enough. The Coach Houses were in pretty good shape when I got them, but I remember having one repair on the second one. Prices paid ranged between $17,000 and $20,000. I occasionally check out what current prices are, and I think I could probably sell mine for what I paid for it. It also has low miles - 88,000.

You might also be interested in checking out a Facebook group for people with older (1990's) Roadtreks. There are quite a few of us out there!
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #42

We have a 2005 road truck 170 on a 2004 Chevrolet 2500 chassis. We have a 5.7 L motor and we’ve had no problems with anything concerning the motor transmission or chassis. Good luck in your quest.
Neil Worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Here is the FMCA Roadtrek site for RTs listed for sale. Several 170s, 190s and 210s of all vintages and around the country.
Road Trek International- Roadtrek International - Roadtreks for Sale
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:35 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Default 5500 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The 5.2 is the old 318CID Chrysler smallblock engine. The 5.9 is a longer stroke version of the same small block engine and is the old 360CID. In a heavy vehicle, I would definitely prefer the 5.9 because of the long stroke, higher torque characteristics.
The 170P is 5500 pounds, quite a bit lighter than the 190's or 210's. And it can still tow 4000 pounds, according to the sticker.

Definitely add a steering stabilizer to any older Dodge van. These will correct the loose steering that comes from worn out steering boxes, and prevent new ones from getting loose.

If memory serves, I got mine from:

DodgeRamSteeringStabilizer.com

And I might sell my 1996 Roadtrek 170P. It has a new engine and the steering is great!
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote