Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #21
Platinum Member

In my opinion, in addition to the glossy package view on the build section of the site they should provide an "Options/Build Guide" pdf that includes more detail for those of us that actually care to read it.

For instance, if you go to the Mercedes Sprinter build site you can build a Sprinter with packages and such but on the "Sprinter Guy" website he has the option PDF that explains more.

I think that would help a ton to really know what these things are instead of the little pictures that don't really show anything.

Also, a package comparison chart would be helpful with x's or dots in the column/row for each option so you can compare.

Finally, I found the language not consistent from package to package. Options that sounded similar were described differently package to package. They should be written the same.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #22
Platinum Member

One other thing... are they really options (e.g. volt start, screen kit, and conti kit) if they are on every package? Why not just increase the standard "features" and truly just show the options in the package. Strange.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I think that Roadtrek is doing the same thing that the auto manufacturers seem to do, and that is make packages that don't really all appeal to the same customers, but have something for everyone. This makes it so you get the "privilege" of buying 3 packages to get the combination of things you actually want. They pile in high margin options that most folks wouldn't order if they had the choice based on cost vs value to them.

We hugely prefer the Alecarte method, as I think most folks would, but manufacturers want to increase how many of the high markup options, and don't mind if the customers don't like the setup, it appears.

For quite a few years autos had some odd combinations like if you wanted power steering, you had to get AC or an auto transmission.

On DW's 2009 CRV Honda, she had to buy the top of the line option package with leather, sunroof, spiffed up interior trim, painted mirrors, aluminum wheels, etc etc. What option forced here to go to that level. Height adjustable driver's seat, because she is so short. Pretty silly.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
In a hardwire situation, the charger doesn't have to be setup for an outlet, .......
While the charger capacity doesn't have to be set up for an outlet, some circumstances might have you plugging into a 15amp receptacle somewhere and it would be nice to avoid tripping some good samaritan's breaker.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
While the charger capacity doesn't have to be set up for an outlet, some circumstances might have you plugging into a 15amp receptacle somewhere and it would be nice to avoid tripping some good samaritan's breaker.
Which is exactly what you now already have with nearly every class B made as they have 30 amp inlets and plenty enough things to use more than a 15 or 20 amp circuit can deliver.

In my example, when plugged in to 110v power of any type, only one charger would be online besides.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Which is exactly what you now already have with nearly every class B made as they have 30 amp inlets and plenty enough things to use more than a 15 or 20 amp circuit can deliver.

In my example, when plugged in to 110v power of any type, only one charger would be online besides.
The scenario I'm alluding to isn't plugging into a 30/50 amp RV pedestal but more like you've stopped by a friends house and want to do some battery recharging. The typical household WP receptacle is rated for 15 amps. If the charger pulls >15 amps it will trip the breaker for the WP or if the WP is a 15A GFI it also will trip it
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The scenario I'm alluding to isn't plugging into a 30/50 amp RV pedestal but more like you've stopped by a friends house and want to do some battery recharging. The typical household WP receptacle is rated for 15 amps. If the charger pulls >15 amps it will trip the breaker for the WP or if the WP is a 15A GFI it also will trip it
I understand that, but if the charger is 220v it doesn't matter, and if you have the two smaller chargers stacked, only one is in use and pulls 15 amps. You can do the same thing now. 7-10 amps to a charger, and if the air has been left on, same thing. You always have to be a aware what loads are on when you plug in, and I think most of the bigger chargers also allow you to limit output to reduce how much they take on the AC side, on their remote, so you could just turn the 20 amp primary charger down 25%.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Attached is a table that shows the contents of the packages available for the RT CS Adventurous. The packages are sorted by chassis length, and within those, by increasing price.

The table shows *just* the packages, not the other options. I hope that this organizes the information a little better. Unfortunately, it doesn't explain the logic behind what's in each package. I wish I knew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoadTrek CS Adventurous Packages.jpg (101.9 KB, 26 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote