Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek decal

The "K" on the Roadtrek decal (above the 3 windows) has disappeared. I have the complete ROADTREK replacement but only want to add the missing "K".
Any suggestions?
lxmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Guess you could cut off just the “k” from the new one.

I think it’d be worth the trouble to remove the old one and replace the whole thing. Even if an older decal still looks good, chances are it’s getting brittle and will start looking bad before the “k.”
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Guess you could cut off just the “k” from the new one.

I think it’d be worth the trouble to remove the old one and replace the whole thing. Even if an older decal still looks good, chances are it’s getting brittle and will start looking bad before the “k.”
Agree with Jon. If you're interested in having good decals, do the entire decal and be done with it.

I wouldn't know how to go about it, so if you're unsure, check with a local body shop or maybe one that does graphics or wraps. Shouldn't be terrible expensive and you want it done right.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I replaced the decals on our Scamp trailer. It was not a fun job, mainly because they were so brittle (and a lot of them). Shouldn’t be too bad for a single “Roadtrek” decal. As said, an auto body shop shouldn’t charge much for a single small decal.

If you want to try it yourself, here’s the basic process:
  1. Do it on a warm day and use a hair dryer to soften the old decal for removal.
  2. Use a plastic razor (from hardware store) to slowly lift and peel back the old decal. The older and more brittle, the harder and slower it will go. Have plenty of extra blades on hand. This step is 80% of the job, so don’t give up!
  3. Clean the area thoroughly with acetone to remove all old adhesive.
  4. To install the new decal you’ll need a small decal squeegee (plastic, not rubber, from auto supply store) and a spray bottle with water and a drop or two of dish detergent.
  5. Spray the area where the decal will go lightly with the soapy water.
  6. Peel back the paper on the adhesive side of the decal. If it’s large, only peel back a few inches from one end and fold the paper back.
  7. Place the decal where you want it. Use a level or other means to get it straight. The soapy water gives you some working time to adjust the placement.
  8. Use the squeegee to work out water and air bubbles from the center to the edges.
  9. Peel back more paper and squeegee, a few inches at a time, until the whole thing is in place. If things go south- crooked or large bubble- you should be able to lift and start over, thanks to the soapy water. Did I say soapy water is great?
  10. Wipe excess water with a towel and let dry several hours or overnight. .
  11. Carefully peel off the paper on top of the decal if applicable. Some have paper on both sides; some don’t. Mine did and I had to coax a few sharp details to release from the paper.
  12. Wipe the whole decal with a dry microfiber cloth to make sure it’s clean, dry, and fully adhered.

One of the first things I did to our Roadtrek was remove all the decals, leaving only the small “Created by Roadtrek” badges on the lower front doors (which aren’t really decals). I prefer the clean look, and I’’ll never again have to deal with cracked, faded decals. Caution, though- on an older RV, decal removal may leave a ghost image behind where the finish was protected from the sun.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Better the decal go bad than the entire gloss coat on the roof of my 09 Roadtrek! Piece of crap. Glad to see Roadtrek go under!
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Sounds like you are unhappy, why don’t you sell it!
webminer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Yeah, you’d think so. First things first. Dealing with health issues. Just ticks me off to go out front door and see it getting worse and worse. And no where else to park it.
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It’s clear coat that’s failing. Depending on climate, storage, and exterior maintenance, ten years isn’t bad. My 2011 Honda Pilot is already starting to fail in a few places on the roof and hood.

When you’re ready to sell it might be worth looking into having it refinished at an auto paint shop. Appearance and first impressions matter, and you may well get your money back in the sale.

My experience in 35 years living in high altitude desert is clear coat does not eliminate the need for regular waxing. I’ve done my RT twice since I acquired it- fall and spring. It’s a workout, but you can hire it done.