Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek Etrek video

This video is from Feb 2016, but I don't recall anyone mentioning it - so here is link.
https://youtu.be/LH507_7rSZE

Nice to see Roadtrek open up a bit about their technology.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It is a cool display. Well done on that!

I did not know the engine restarts for idling time limit was EPA regulated. It can be overridden so ........... what's the point?

That Coach Connect thing looks cool too! It was mentioned in a Roadtrek press release in 2014 - http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f9...html#post21216 - so it has taken some time to get it out there.

It's a wonder that we still call it camping!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:32 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
It is a cool display. Well done on that!

I did not know the engine restarts for idling time limit was EPA regulated...
This was the first I ever heard an anti-idling rule being applied to RVs. I did some searching on this and don't think the EPA idle limits apply to RVs anyway. They are targeted toward heavy trucks and buses. They are written by states not EPA, although EPA provided a model rule for states to adapt.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...egulations.pdf

Here is applicability section from the EPA model regulation.

Section B: APPLICABILITY:
This law applies to commercial diesel vehicles which are designed to operate on highways (as defined under 40 CFR 390.5), and to locations where commercial diesel vehicles load or unload (hereinafter referred to as "load/unload locations").

Source: https://www3.epa.gov/smartway/forpar.../420s06001.pdf

That "EPA idling limit" that Yan quotes sounds a lot like the Mercedes Sprinter diesel limit I've heard before.

Edit: of course some cities have idling restrictions on all vehicles.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I saw that display at the La Mesa RV Super B Show before Yan Seiner showed up.

Interesting about the 35 minute limitation Roadtrek puts on the idling alternator. As I mentioned, I knew about the 5 starts but I can program my Advanced RV to run up to 2 hours on each start. Just starting once with your key resets the 5 starts. So I am wondering if available hardware sets that limit. Anyway, if you sat that long and ran through 5 auto starts it is probably time to drive to a service station for fuel anyway. As for idling I have to believe the Sprinter is less polluting than an Onan generator.

Here's my thoughts for the programmed 35 minutes. After that time the alternator loses efficiency and output due to heat. This I know from monitoring my setup with Nations in testing. The Balmar senses the temp and turns amperage output down. I've tried to explain ARV discovered this and changed alternators away from Nations. For all practical purposes the alternator will charge the battery bank in that 35 minute time anyway. However, some I've learned in the heat of the southwest have found, not in idling, but in driving and running the house air conditioner, that the alternator does not keep up. It seems Texans driving around in 110 degree heat find that necessary. That hasn't been my problem as I am not an air conditioner user unless absolutely necessary and drive with the climate 95% or more of the time. I did get caught up in some heat in Shreveport, LA a couple of days ago. From customer feedback, ARV discovered the "death spiral" of battery charging and running your house air conditioner in those conditions and thus the switch to a Delco. It is not something I encountered because I am on the road almost daily in some capacity and a night's use recharges in a half hour and almost always under an hour so you reach full charge and the Balmar shuts the charging down. So you rarely encounter the overheating situation and probably never if not using your house air conditioner while driving.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The ability of monitoring your coach inside remotely was interesting. It wouldn't work with our cat. She goes under the bed in her hidey hole immediately and doesn't come out.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Site Team

I am kind of impressed with the quality of this video, compared with previous RT efforts. It was informative, not condescending, and not too squirrelly (e.g., identifying the Balmar regulator by name). The demo unit of the electrical systems was well done.

I guess we are starting to see some results from their new overlords. Hope the trend continues.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I seem to remember that video from some time ago, and I think it was mentioned by someone that it was made before the stuff was released and the Coachnet stuff taken out and AGM added. At that time I think it was a Roadtrek, not dealer release of the video, so that might explain the recent release date on this one.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

That video could have been made at the LaMesa RV Super B Show around March 18 this year at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ. I was there to see that display. I'm guessing since it was published in February that LaMesa must have created that display for the show.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

EcoTrek - The Evolution of the RV battery

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

Benefits of Roadtrek's Solar Charging System

Old 06-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

Understanding Roadtrek's Underhood Generator (GU)

Old 06-10-2016, 05:01 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I'm glad that Roadtrek has finally gotten beyond the "We're the great and powerful Wizard of Oz" approach in the marketing of their eTrek features. Instead of echo chambers, gigantic explosions of green smoke, and "How dare you ask the almighty Oz a question;" it looks like they're finally letting the man behind the curtain explain what's actually going on.

While I love the technology and as of today, have moved from the genset to the under hood camp, I still dislike their interiors. Counter space and appliances off the floor are critical to me being happy in a home on wheels. With their Sprinter floorplans, you can have either counter space or appliances off the floor, but not both.

Also, as far as I've been able to tell, none of their RVs are insulated. Insulation can help keep both cold and heat outside of an RV and is probably the simplest and cheapest way to conserve energy use. By simply insulating their RVs, they could reduce the need to use fuel, batteries, underhood generators and solar panels to heat and cool the interior.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
That Coach Connect thing looks cool too! It was mentioned in a Roadtrek press release in 2014 - http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f9...html#post21216 - so it has taken some time to get it out there.
This has been out for awhile. The tech at my dealer told me last September that it was causing fits for the dealers trying to get the darn thing to work as advertised. Still very buggy last I heard...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #14
Platinum Member

They have not released the latest version of Coach Connect yet, we will see if it is working in the new version...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote