Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Roadtrek fill-up problems

I have a Roadtrek 2006 built on Chevy Express 3500. Has anyone else with a make around this time experience problems filling the gas tank? Some gas pumps are no problem; others seem to shut off the moment the gas starts to pour. Some are almost impossible to use as they shut off too quickly, or else it takes forever to fill the tank at a slow volume. I guess the way the gas tank intake pipe was made, the gas backs up too quickly and more sensitive pumps shut off. I even bought a funnel in case of emergencies, but this is also quite time consuming. It seems like the only solution is to keep driving for a less sensitive gas pump (a real pain) or hire a body shop to redo the pipe (how do you weld safely next to a gas tank?). Any ideas or thoughts out there?
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
I have a Roadtrek 2006 built on Chevy Express 3500. Has anyone else with a make around this time experience problems filling the gas tank? Some gas pumps are no problem; others seem to shut off the moment the gas starts to pour. Some are almost impossible to use as they shut off too quickly, or else it takes forever to fill the tank at a slow volume. I guess the way the gas tank intake pipe was made, the gas backs up too quickly and more sensitive pumps shut off. I even bought a funnel in case of emergencies, but this is also quite time consuming. It seems like the only solution is to keep driving for a less sensitive gas pump (a real pain) or hire a body shop to redo the pipe (how do you weld safely next to a gas tank?). Any ideas or thoughts out there?

We were able to make our 07 190 quite a bit better by straightening out the rubber filler hose that runs along the frame inside the rear wheel well. I tied it up with tie wraps to make it as straight a possible with no low spots.

Many folks, including us, have found that holding the filler handle at about 3 o'clock position helps with filling.

All in all we very rarely get a pump that has to run very slowly.

California vapor recovery pumps seem to be worst for us.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

2006 pleasure way on a 2005 Chev. no real issues with gas fill.

Vapour recovery can take a second to set but seems ok.

some stations just don't maintain their stuff.
90% of my fills are at costco
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Other brands of Chevy class b vans don't have the fill issue because they haven't had the filler location moved like Roadtrek did to put it behind the driver side rear wheel.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

ah, thanks !
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:26 PM   #6

Default Solved for us.

The problem can be nearly entirely mitigated by the following. As you approach the pumps try to see which approach will have you pointed nose down. We have a level mounted over passenger door, primarily for parking but it also helps with this. If I have half a bubble nose down my tank will fill generally at full speed. Occasionally it will stop and if it does I do one click below full speed. In the unlikely event the nose down is not enough we carry two lego leveling blocks in the coach. My wife jumps out and puts one in front of each tire and I drive up on them. If I was handier I would actually try to fix the problem, but I am not.
GyroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:59 AM   #7
Silver Member

2008 Chevy Express 3500. Seems to me to be a pump problem. Happens occasionally and as said above, I move the handle to 3 o'clock or even 1 o'clock. Pain in the butt. Even then it sometimes still clicks off. Stock fill tube as far as I know. I'll check for kinks.

Jim
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

08 Chevy 3500 Pleasureway...no real problems. In California I put the nozzle in, pull it out, I guess it vents it, and then it's fine. Most other states, no issues
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote