Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 281
Default RoadTrek "Ground Effect" airdam removal

As we are all aware, the front bumper is covered with a plastic airdam or "ground effect" which severely reduces clearance when approaching curbs, etc. Mine has some severe cracks and I would like to hear from anyone who has either modified this, or has removed it entirely.

I would like to retain the gray plastic covering over the original chrome bumper and simply cut off the portion which drops underneath.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Thanks,
John
__________________

JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 709
Default

John, FWIW, I remember when RT didn't have all the plastic around it. I believe it is really there to enhancer the look, without it, you see pipes, tanks, etc. So I guess cutting it off wouldn't be all that bad. Ron
__________________

__________________
Ron J. Moore
'15 RT210P
Ron J. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Gold Member
 
Shore-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rocket City, Alabama
Posts: 77
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
As we are all aware, the front bumper is covered with a plastic airdam or "ground effect" which severely reduces clearance when approaching curbs, etc. Mine has some severe cracks and I would like to hear from anyone who has either modified this, or has removed it entirely.

I would like to retain the gray plastic covering over the original chrome bumper and simply cut off the portion which drops underneath.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Thanks,
John
BUMPING THIS POST

So there is NO ONE who has ever removed the front air dam? PLEASE can you post some guidance on how to? Like the black front upper bumper cover that runs above the bumper, how is that attached? How is the air dam attached to the the chrome bumper, rivets or double sided tape? A little help would sure be appreciated here. Thanks. Best. Shorty sends...
__________________
Best. Shorty (aka Shore-T) sends...

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:38 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 433
Default

I looked like it was a removable cover to me. You'll have to get underneath it to see and do the work.

Here's a comparison- a lifted 4WD 190 on the left without and my lifted 2WD 210 on the right with-

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
Gold Member
 
Shore-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rocket City, Alabama
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
I looked like it was a removable cover to me. You'll have to get underneath it to see and do the work.

Here's a comparison- a lifted 4WD 190 on the left without and my lifted 2WD 210 on the right with-

Hondo, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been under the vehicle and there is NO visible sign on how the upper bumper cover is attached nor is there any sign on how the air dam is attached either. The only exception is two vertically mounted rivets on the front fender bottom holding the air dam onto what appears to be the bumper. I will take picture at first light and attache to this post. However there has to be more attachment points on the air dam that would run horizontally across the vehicle front. No visible sign though of this is noted. BTW both vehicles in your jpg look great and that lifted rig looks AWESOME! Best. Shorty sends...
__________________
Best. Shorty (aka Shore-T) sends...

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Gold Member
 
Shore-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rocket City, Alabama
Posts: 77
Default How is this piece removed

Can you help? How is the upper bumper cover depicted in the jpeg effectively removed as the first step in removing the air dam? I have looked from underneath the vehicle and their are not visible attachment points.

Thanks. Best. Shorty sends...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Bumper Cover Removal.jpg (130.6 KB, 31 views)
__________________
Best. Shorty (aka Shore-T) sends...

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 433
Default

I'll look at mine later this afternoon.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 433
Default

Not going to get to it today...

I will try tomorrow morning.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 433
Default

It looks like the air dam & bumper cover are one unit on my 2006 210.

I took a few photos, there are a bunch of these snap in attachment points that seem to fasten the cover to the bumper-



Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
Gold Member
 
Shore-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rocket City, Alabama
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
It looks like the air dam & bumper cover are one unit on my 2006 210.

I took a few photos, there are a bunch of these snap in attachment points that seem to fasten the cover to the bumper-



Hondo, thanks for taking the time. I am now equipped with the knowledge to rid myself of the air dam after any road damage. My 2014 190P looks different than your application. Don't you just love standardization? Thanks agian for your time. Best. Shorty sends...
__________________
Best. Shorty (aka Shore-T) sends...

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:16 AM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1
Default

Have our 2nd 210, this one is a 2005 and ground clearance is squat, no pun intended. Put Firestone airbags on the back, Moog heavier springs on front, and gained about 2". Still not enough for the front air dam, so I made it history. For those who want to remove it, there are 5 pop rivets and double sticky tape. The tape is between the back of the painted air dam and the two of the chrome bumper. There are two rivets in the front wheel wells that can easily drilled out with about an 1/8 drill bit. The fifth is in the center underneath the middle of the air dam pointing up into the black plastic original air dam.
After removing the rivets. use a small crow bar and start at a wheel well and start prying off the top under the black top cover. You will be tearing the double stick tape apart, so just work around and finally it will come off. BTY remove license plate first!!! A paint scraper and goof off and elbow grease will clean up the chrome bumper. Can't tell the damn dam was ever there!!
210 addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #12
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 addict View Post
Have our 2nd 210, this one is a 2005 and ground clearance is squat, no pun intended. Put Firestone airbags on the back, Moog heavier springs on front, and gained about 2". Still not enough for the front air dam, so I made it history. For those who want to remove it, there are 5 pop rivets and double sticky tape. The tape is between the back of the painted air dam and the two of the chrome bumper. There are two rivets in the front wheel wells that can easily drilled out with about an 1/8 drill bit. The fifth is in the center underneath the middle of the air dam pointing up into the black plastic original air dam.
After removing the rivets. use a small crow bar and start at a wheel well and start prying off the top under the black top cover. You will be tearing the double stick tape apart, so just work around and finally it will come off. BTY remove license plate first!!! A paint scraper and goof off and elbow grease will clean up the chrome bumper. Can't tell the damn dam was ever there!!
Welcome to the forum 210 addict!

Yeah. I understand the front air dam can reduce undercarriage air turbulence and make the rv more aerodynamic (perhaps an oxymoron), but it is in the way and is really on there for looks. My Airstream Avenue dam is less pronounced than your Roadtrek, so I live with it. But like you, have considered that if it ever got damaged I would not replace it. That sucker would be gone.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 281
Default

I see that there is continued interest in this subject 2 years later! Update: I did remove mine to reveal a pristine virgin chrome bumper! It was not a big job since a couple of the side attachment points had given way already. The major holding power comes from adhesive, either double sided tape or other adhesive. The trick here is a hair dryer. Just keep pulling and apply the hair dryer and it should come off cleanly. Mine was an unsalvageable mess so it went directly into the dumpster. The plastic topper for the bumper which forms a step was also loose. It is held in place by plastic clips which protrude through a slot. I was able to thread a couple of sheet metal screws through the protruding plastic to securely hold it in place.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 281
Default

And bonus...there is a license plate attachment under there!
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore-T View Post
... My 2014 190P looks different than your application. Don't you just love standardization? ....
Standardization?

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper. Friggin' love the thing. It is a four wheel motorcycle that has a back seat so the girlfriend can come along. The dogs sit up front.

The only problem is that it is British. None of my tools fit.

Just wait until a fuse fails. Someone drunk Brit drew little symbols for the fuses. I don't speak or write British so finding a particular fuse can be a real treat. I've resorted to schematics. Once you figure out what fuse it is, you go back to the symbol and sit for a good two or three minutes staring at it and wondering.

Anyway ... with respect to standardization: I needed to change out the Mini's battery. Open the hood. No battery. WTF. Look in the "boot". Nothing. Huh? Go to the internet. Google is my friend. Seems there are three different places in that year and model where one might find the battery. Apparently I found it as I've been driving it. Darn if I remember where the battery is located.

I am having so much fun with standardization and my Mini that I bought a Roadtrek.

Need to put a front plate on. Ohio required it long enough for me to drill four holes in the front bumper. Then Ohio decided I didn't need a front plate any more. Ohio can be like that.

Trying to figure it out led me to the realization that Canadians must have the same engineering gene that they have in the UK. The bumper holes might be here. Might be there. Say you have a Mercedes? (God no.) Dodge? (God no.) Eventually I found someone with my year, my model, hell, my color. The plate is on even though I no longer need it.

Winterizing my 190P for the first time. That little valve next to the bass speaker? I don't have one. Well, actually, I do. Just that it is under the bass speaker. Consider for a bit how long a new owner must search to find a valve that was placed about one inch to the south and ended up hidden under a speaker.

Standardization? That's funny.

Anyone know where I can order a plate that says: Screw you Ohio?

Steve
__________________

SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×