Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Cool Roadtrek pantry ideas?

So I'm looking to the community for ideas on a Roadtrek 190 Popular that we took in trade that is missing the seat by the entry door. I have seen ones that people have used the Rubbermaid shelves for this, but I am looking for maybe a cabinet from, like IKea or Home depot? Something that looks kinda like it should be in a Roadtrek. This one has the oak interior.
Any ideas, or pictures would be appreciated!
Thanks-Happy Camping!
Marty
Classic Vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have read about this being solved a number of ways. Roadtrek could likely sell you the armoire that goes there, if you want that, am guessing around $624 or so. Almost any carpenter could also make something that would fit in that space as well. It may not be as elegant as what RT makes, but they can do a decent job, even if you use it to stack Rubbermaid tubs inside.

About two years ago, I was about to buy a 190 Popular that had the same issue (although it wound up being sold before I got there.) Had I bought it, I would have bought the armoire from RT, called it done.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Vans View Post
So I'm looking to the community for ideas on a Roadtrek 190 Popular that we took in trade that is missing the seat by the entry door. I have seen ones that people have used the Rubbermaid shelves for this, but I am looking for maybe a cabinet from, like IKea or Home depot? Something that looks kinda like it should be in a Roadtrek. This one has the oak interior.
Any ideas, or pictures would be appreciated!
Thanks-Happy Camping!
Marty
At some point in the evolution of the 190 and the 210, Roadtrek offered an armoir as an option for the seat and it was designed for replacing one with the other without butchering the interior. Another possibility would be install their half pantry option that they offer on their Sprinters.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You talk about timing! I just completed this morning my addition to our 2007 Roadtrek 210P, a nice cabinet to replace the third seat. I made it removable so that the seat can be reinstalled. First, I took the seat and back out and removed the small amount of mounting hardware that held them in place.

I consulted the ultimate expert on these matters variously known as DW, She Who Must Be Obeyed and my dear wife. We determined we wanted a couple of drawers as opposed to a cabinet and we wanted a shelf on top of the drawers to place things when we were camped.

I was going to build all this from scratch but found a much easier solution. Home Depot now has an unfinished under cabinet standard unit with two large and one small drawer. They are standard height and depth for cabinets like this except this one is 18 inches wide and most are 24 inches. All standard cabinets are 24 inches deep.

First, I cut off the bottom recess where a baseboard (kick plate) is attached in a kitchen. That lowered the unit about 4 inches. Then, I cut the cabinet on the sides and back to eliminate the smaller door at the top to make the whole thing a more appropriate height. That was another six inches or so. Then, I cut that baby off four more inches front to back. I ended up with a cabinet 18 inches wide, 24 inches high and 20 inches deep.

I cut a top out of birch veneer plywood to match the birch cabinet. Last, I had to make a small top to cover the storage area that was in the entry way just under the front edge of the removed seat. Again, birch plywood works fine.

I finished it out to be pretty close to the other wood in the Roadtrek which is maple in mine. It is not an exact match but is close enough and matches much better than this picture indicates due to the light reflection.

Total cost of this project was less than $150 and a little labor and some Okie engineering. We are very pleased with the result. The same thing could be accomplished for a RT190P except the dimensions might have to be altered a bit. Believe it or not, I did all this was my Ryobi battery powered saw and didn't use my table saw.

The cabinet makers generally want a lot to build something like this from scratch and RT wants a lot plus shipping. This cost me about 20% of the alternatives. You do need a bit of woodworking skill or a friend.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Now that's what I was thinkin! Looks great. My only thing is the seat base is missing also, so I think I'll pick up a bathroom vanity as the are 21" in depth compared to the 24" depth kitchen cabinets. Thanks for the reply's, I didn't want to go through RT for the pantry as it takes so long and the wood inside of this 190 is faded already.
THANKS AGAIN ALL!
Classic Vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:05 AM   #6
Platinum Member

On FB, I recently read about and seen the photo of a duplicate of the cabinet RT puts out. The guy checked RT, seen the $600+ and started shopping. He found a cabinetmaker that was will to make it for him. He showed all the materials, etc., and it came in around $300. We have the jump seat, I would like to switch, but I am going to lose the vote, ha!. Ron