Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2022, 08:38 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek propane tank

I have a question or two about the propane tank on my 2018 Roadtrek Simplicity. My level indicator inside shows empty and there is still some propane in the tank. I only used the propane for about 4 or 5 days after having the tank filled. The inside indicator showed full after the tank was filled. I found an electrical connector that has a black and an orange wire labeled (black-gnd, orange-pm propane). The wires and connector are not connected to any thing, just hanging down and not long enough to connect to any thing on the tank. Am I missing another wire and/or connector that should be on the tank? Is the level gauge really reliable when it works? Any information about the Roadtrek propane tanks will be appreciated.
nomad1955@centurylink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I can't help you with the Roadtrek level indicator but if I have any question about our propane supply, I use the hot water trick. I pour a cup of hot water down the side of the tank and feel where the tank remains cold. The empty part on top will be warm but the part of the tank filled with propane will still feel cold. It is pretty accurate and a quick way to confirm the guage.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:49 PM   #3
Bronze Member

The propane remote sensor would be at the same location as your dial gauge. When I installed one you just popped the original gauge off and snapped on the new gauge that had two little wires coming out of it.

Could yours have been pulled off your gauge?

Something like this:
https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...tank-90-degree
RTRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:55 PM   #4

Well, I do not think I had a dial gauge on my tank, but something could have been and gotten pulled off. I might try adding a dial gauge thou. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Personally, I prefer to just check the gauge on the tank every few days as opposed to relying on the panel indicator. That being said, my panel indicator has always proven to be accurate. Propane goes a long way in our Roadtrek 210P but it is a ten gallon tank and I think you will find your Simplicity is 5.6 gallons according to the RT manual for that model.

With experience you will get a good feel for how long your propane will last based on the number of days you are using it and the types of use (cooking, heating, etc.).
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:48 PM   #6

At the present I do not have any way to know how much propane I have in my tank. It is hard to pour hot water on the tank as it is under the chassis.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #7

Doesn’t there have to be a dial gauge in order to fill the tank? Mine is awkward to view. Our 2014 190 popular indicator light panel does not show accurate propane readings since we had the tank replaced. Our black tank indicator stopped working right after we purchased (new) and used for short time. So we don’t really rely on light indicators for anything.
cdahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied to my posted question. I purchased a snap on dial gauge with wires attached from Amazon. I'm hoping it will work with my monitor panel. I can at least view the dial gauge to see the level of propane.