Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2022, 09:52 PM   #21
Bronze Member

I installed a “cheap Chinese heater” in the compartment where the LP heater would have been. I purchased the 5k diesel version. I bought an aluminum drift fuel tank instead of using that plastic one that came in the kit. So I have a very short exhaust pipe to get past the body just before the rear wheel, no muffler was used. I also have a very short fuel line since the tank is in the same compartment as the heater. I also have a very short length of heater vent to the living area. I used under the hood sound insulation on the inside of the compartment and the wrapped pump with additional sound proofing.

Beside testing, we got to use it once over night so far. With the heater on the lowest setting, we can not hear the exhaust at all or the fan, there is a slight tick from the pump. This thing burns very clean, even out at the exhaust there is no smell. The noise outside is very low, on a higher speed it does get louder but still less than the AC would make. It kept the van nice and warm, I even cracked the roof vent to keep it from getting too warm. If my calculations are correct the heater should be able to run full time for three days off the fuel in the tank. This heater also uses very little battery power, much less than the LP heaters we had in other RVs.

The hard part is figuring out where to put the holes in the floor for the intake and exhaust pipes. There is very little open room in this location. From what I’ve seen the length of the fuel line and exhaust pipe can be the cause of problems with these heaters. I am extremely happy with it although we will probably use it very little.
RTRanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, furnace, part numbers, propane, roadtrek ranger