Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek Ranger RT

A new model from Roadtrek - the Roadtrek Ranger RT

Quote:
The all new 2012 Ranger RT. A more basic camper minus the extra luxuries geared towards RV Rental Dealers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ranger RT.jpg (22.5 KB, 3465 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek Ranger RT

More photos are on Roadtrek's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Roadtrek

Quote:
Standard electric stove (propane option available)
Quote:
Propane 2 burner stove that comes with optional on board propane system.
Optional propane system? Does that mean the fridge is 110 volt?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ranger RT floorplan2.jpg (22.4 KB, 3455 views)
File Type: jpg Ranger RT floorplan.jpg (23.1 KB, 3455 views)
File Type: jpg Ranger RT inside.jpg (44.3 KB, 3458 views)
File Type: jpg Ranger RT inside2.jpg (55.8 KB, 3458 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek Ranger RT.jpg (19.0 KB, 3456 views)
Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Looks like it's a 2 seater by design forward area, and they've finally made better use of the 3 and 4
seat positions, by pushing the galley and bath forward closer to the rear of the cockpit. Makes sense.
Except for some families who use them as a weekender, to get from A to B, most of us who drive class
B vans are couples. There just isn't room for a family of 4 in them, unless you REALLY like your family.
Wonder what they'll cost?

Maybe there's a quick connect for a 20lb. tank for the stove, or, you can add a full on board Manchester
tank propane system. Not sure about the safety/legality of that, if that's what it is.
Wonder if they have a gas/propane generator option?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Marko, thanks for posting the photos of the Ranger. It looks neat without the front and rear skirting. I think with all the attention the B's seem to be getting today, this one will be a hit. I still can't grasp the one they developed on the Nissan Frame - no toilet??? Safe travels.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Optional propane is mounted in a side compartment.

I don't see sender wires for monitoring the propane level from inside the RV. It might not be connected yet.
Enclosed toilet is nice. I don't see a shower. No mention of a generator.
I'm trying to get some more info from Roadtrek.

Very basic unit but it is probably priced much lower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ranger RT optional propane.jpg (36.9 KB, 3360 views)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Any guesses as to the suggested price?

I'm thinking in the $60,000 range. It's basic. Cargo van seats, no TV, no lowered floor, no shower. Is my guess too low? Too high?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Any guesses as to the suggested price?

I'm thinking in the $60,000 range. It's basic. Cargo van seats, no TV, no lowered floor, no shower. Is my guess too low? Too high?
Roadtrek's are pretty expensive compared to some others. I think it will be $80K+.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I was way off...............

I found this on the Facebook page:
Quote:
The MSRP on the Ranger RT starts at $72,800 US.
Add propane and generator etc. and it will be close to $80K like Booster noted.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Platinum Member

More stuff from the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Roadtrek

I don't know how I missed it the first time........

Quote:
Here are some other differences that will highlight the Ranger RT as compared to the 190-Popular and Simplicity;

A/C - same as 190 series with exception of 110V only
Aisle - same as other 190 series
Awning - Optional vs Standard on 190-Popular
Bathroom - Permanent enclosed like 190-Popular and 190-Simplicity
Aux. Batteries -Dual 6V AGM non maintenance like 190-Popular and a step up from the single AGM battery in the Simplicity
Cabinetry - real Oak with a Cherry tone
Quick connect BBQ - N/A
External 110V, Cable TV Connection & Water are standard
Countertop is Laminate like 190-Simplicity
Smoke, propane and CO detectors are standard
Single lever faucet in kitchen galley like 190-Popular, recessed and glass covered unlike the 190-Simplicity
Floor is not lowered and yes that did allow for the OEM location of the gas fill on the chassis.Roof was redesigned to allow the same 6'1" of standing height like 190- Popular and Simplicity
Furnace - 16,000 BTU Optional with propane system option.
6 speaker home theatre is standard like 190-Popular and is not available on Simplicity
Microwave oven is .7 cubic foot like both 190-Popular and Simplicity
Monitor panel is included with water, battery level and battery disconnect.
Propane level is added with on board propane option
1250 watt inverter as compared to the 750 watt inverter in the Popular and no inverter in Simplicity - 4 outlets in unit
Refrigerator is a Norcold 12V/110 2 way as compared to Dometic 3 way in Popular
Roof vent is same as used in Popular and Simplicity
4 inch gravity dump system as compared to macerator in 190-Popular
Shower - Standard Permanent bath as compared to optional on 190-Popular
Sink - Stainless steel with single faucet as in 190-Popular
Storage - very similar to 190-Popular and Simplicity with the exception of the permanent cabinet option available on the Simplicity
Table for dining are front and rear
Toilet - Same unit as in Popular and Simplicity
TV - Optional Flat screen with DVD as is with the Simplicity
TV Antenna - Sole digital mounted on roof like Popular and unlike interior foil antenna on Simplicity
Water fill - Front door post. Single water tank as like Simplicity
Water heater - Standard 2.5 gallon electric which differs from 6 gallon propane system on Popular and Simplicity
12V water pump same as Popular and Simplicity
15 Gallons Fresh, 23 Gallons Grey and 10 Gallons Black as matches Simplicity
Decals on roof instead of 3 windows

Options:
Screen package as is available on 190-Popular
Propane system - allows for furnace, 2 burner glass recessed and permanent mounted propane tank mounted towards the front of the drivers side storage compartment
Cargo or permanent generator swing out carrier where Continental Kit would be on Popular or Simplicity

Chassis:
2500 Express Van chassis as compared to 3500 Express Van chassis used with 190-Popular and Simplicity
4.8L V8 as compared to 6.0L V8 that is used with 190-Popular
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
Platinum Member

no generator? just a carrier for one? i guess that could work, if you could get a remote start generator,
and plug the shore power cord into it, for those "off the grid" campsites.
i like the fridge option, and the AGM batteries, but I wonder about the cost of the propane system
and the associated options it supports? it also sounds like not dropping the floor was a simple change
that didn't present any interior height issues. Probably could have been doing that for years. Hindsight?

The 1250 W inverter sounds like a dream to me, but how fast could you draw down the 2 6V AGMs?
They must be high ah batteries, I'd think, for an RV application. you might add a generator unless
you're a shore power person, or do a lot of touring to recharge them.

seems like lots of cut corners for US$70,000+, and probably add $10,000+ in Canada? with no propane system which is a staple system, imo. how much could it cost to to mount a small tank, a furnace,
water heater, and even a 2 burner cooktop and run lines to them? i guess they chose the propane
system as the cost savings option. and they also sacrificed the generator option, it seems, but made
allowance for a user supplied one, so it's not all bad. not a back country RV, base model out of the
factory door, for sure.

i pulled my other post, as i thought it sounded a bit too negative, not knowing all the details at
that time. now it seems like it might have been closer to reality. i think i could put a camper van
together with semi-permanent camping necessities for a lot less than that, if i hadn't bought
my Roadtrek. it's kind of a "if i knew then, what i know now" situation. i may still give that a try
some day if i sell the Roadtrek. New (used) van, blank canvas, nothing but time on my hands?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Platinum Member

They're offering the Onan option now.

Quote:
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. Just announced by Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc., an Onan 2.8kW generator option package has now been added to the list of options for the Ranger RT. This is the same setup that would be found on our 190-Popular series.

Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. Also, when you order the generator option package, it includes the Roadtrek Continental Spare Tire Kit as well. That's right, when you order the optional Onan generator package, the Continental Spare Tire Kit is included in the price. Tell your friends and family who have been looking at the Ranger specs about this exciting new option for Roadtrek's latest model.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #12

Looks nice, but I have a problem with the fact that there are not enough windows.

I have a Safari Condo and I love the possibility of being able to see almost all around.

Be Safe Wherever You Go!
Latcho Drom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latcho Drom
Looks nice, but I have a problem with the fact that there are not enough windows.

I have a Safari Condo and I love the possibility of being able to see almost all around.
The storage vs openness is the continual question for folks, and why there are so many styles of class b's. The Dodge and Chevy Roadtreks slanted toward maximum storage and utility, at the expense of openness. Other brands are wide open to the sides and have lots of windows, at the expense of storage space (most Sprinters in particular). It all depends on your likes, and what you are going to do with it.

We went with a Roadtrek 190P because we wanted maximum storage and didn't care for a permanent bath. We even covered one window with the optional armoire for more space. We don't find it too confining or dark, others may, but it has a lot of storage for its size.

I think Roadtrek leaving out the roof windows is a big mistake. Not being able to put in roof windows is probably why most of the Sprinters are so open at the sides, or they would be very dark inside. The Chevy based Roadtrek needs the light from the roof windows, or it would be way too dark for our liking, with the current design.

Safari Condos are interesting, too bad we can't get them in the US. We will probably be taking a tour of their factory when we go through Quebec next year, however.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Roadtrek Ranger RT roof and floor:

Quote:
The floor of Ranger has not been lowered so it is flat from front to back. The roof has been raised 2” to maintain full standing height.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
They're offering the Onan option now.

Quote:
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. Just announced by Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc., an Onan 2.8kW generator option package has now been added to the list of options for the Ranger RT. This is the same setup that would be found on our 190-Popular series.

Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. Also, when you order the generator option package, it includes the Roadtrek Continental Spare Tire Kit as well. That's right, when you order the optional Onan generator package, the Continental Spare Tire Kit is included in the price. Tell your friends and family who have been looking at the Ranger specs about this exciting new option for Roadtrek's latest model.
They must have seen my critique.
You also get the continental spare kit, now that you don't need the external generator carrier.
Does it sound like Roadtrek is in defensive mode on their 2 latest offerings? The N6 and the Ranger?
Kind of winging it, as people who are familiar with their past products raise an eyebrow or two?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I, for one, just can't understand why Roadtrek hasn't embraced the "build to order", ala-cart, system that many other industries have. They abandoned the assembly line style assembly in 2009, so it would not be that difficult. Custom orders would command much higher margins that units built to sit on the lot with showroom, high interest, showroom program, financing on them. When we were looking for our Roadtrek, we consistently found that the prices on in stock units was way cheaper than having them order one, even if identical. Plus, you didn't have a lot of choices in what you could get, or not get, if you ordered. Using modern manufacturing, design, and inventory techniques, they could probably reduce their costs while increasing their margins and reducing their inventory and program costs.

We would absolutely love to be able to chose the best (for us) features of a 190P, Simplicity, and Ranger in a Roadtrek that would more perfectly fit our needs.

When we bought ours in 2008, we got bumper covers, aluminum wheels, leather, power sofa, surround sound and tv, LX paint package, and front fold up bed, that we didn't really want, but it was many thousands cheaper than ordering one without them because it was on the lot.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Safari Condos are interesting, too bad we can't get them in the US. We will probably be taking a tour of their factory when we go through Quebec next year, however.
They have a new model, but I cannot find it in english to put it here in the forum.

I will put it anyway, and you will see that keeping the windows, they have a shower and toilet.

I find that 90 square feet of space is enough for me, but as you say, there are a lot of different class b and each person find the one most appropriate for him/her...

the next one is also interesting and the info is in english...

http://www.safaricondo.com/XLPLUSsprinter/index-en.php

Be Safe Wherever You Go!
Latcho Drom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
Platinum Member

That Safari Condo model looks nice

I might be at their factory next month. I should inquire about a tour. I'll take lots of photos.

Quote:

I think Roadtrek leaving out the roof windows is a big mistake. Not being able to put in roof windows is probably why most of the Sprinters are so open at the sides, or they would be very dark inside. The Chevy based Roadtrek needs the light from the roof windows, or it would be way too dark for our liking, with the current design...................
It looks like the new roof is molded ready for the windows. The Roadtrek Ranger might just become the most modified Class B Those windows are nice. They let in lots of light but still give you privacy.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
I, for one, just can't understand why Roadtrek hasn't embraced the "build to order", ala-cart, system that many other industries have. They abandoned the assembly line style assembly in 2009, so it would not be that difficult. Custom orders would command much higher margins that units built to sit on the lot with showroom, high interest, showroom program, financing on them. When we were looking for our Roadtrek, we consistently found that the prices on in stock units was way cheaper than having them order one, even if identical. Plus, you didn't have a lot of choices in what you could get, or not get, if you ordered. Using modern manufacturing, design, and inventory techniques, they could probably reduce their costs while increasing their margins and reducing their inventory and program costs.

We would absolutely love to be able to chose the best (for us) features of a 190P, Simplicity, and Ranger in a Roadtrek that would more perfectly fit our needs.

When we bought ours in 2008, we got bumper covers, aluminum wheels, leather, power sofa, surround sound and tv, LX paint package, and front fold up bed, that we didn't really want, but it was many thousands cheaper than ordering one without them because it was on the lot.
I guess they figure ordering RV related parts and appliances in bulk, to save them wholesale costs,
can result in a warehouse full of stuff that maybe no one wants after all. It's probably better to put
some things in every similar model and try to market it as a "loaded" model, even if it does sit on
a lot somewhere until the new model season puts the squeeze on the dealer to lower prices to move it.
And, Roadtrek has probably already received payment for the vehicle at their wholesale price from
the dealership. They're off the hook then, as it were.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:

I guess they figure ordering RV related parts and appliances in bulk, to save them wholesale costs,
can result in a warehouse full of stuff that maybe no one wants after all. It's probably better to put
some things in every similar model and try to market it as a "loaded" model, even if it does sit on
a lot somewhere until the new model season puts the squeeze on the dealer to lower prices to move it.
And, Roadtrek has probably already received payment for the vehicle at their wholesale price from
the dealership. They're off the hook then, as it were.
The "on the lot" thing is the interesting part. Car dealers have, for many years, had financing through the manufacturers for their inventory, and apparently so does,or did, Roadtrek dealers. I read an article about Roadtrek back when they were nearly out of business in the 2009 timeframe. One of the big things they were talking about was showfloor program financing, and how important and expensive it was. I was surprised that they did it. It didn't go into details of the program, however. It would have been interesting to see how much of the cost Roadtrek picked up compared to the dealers.

Modern "Just in Time" type manufacturing actually works very well, if done right. If done well, you have less, not more, inventory, and your ship times are hugely reduced. Nearly all the items that come from the outside of Roadtrek are commodity items to their manufacturers, and can ship in a very short time, so having inventory at Roadtrek of any significance would be unnecessary. Most vendors will do "blanket order" setups where you order an amount of product to be shipped and billed over a timeframe. You don't pay until they ship, so you don't pay until you have an order for the product it is going into. Roadtrek makes the cabinets, harnesses, chassis mods, etc in house, so scheduling them is under their control. The change in the Ranger to no drop floor would certainly shorten the leadtime for Chevy based products. I don't know just how short lead times on ordered Roadtreks could go, but under 4 weeks would probably be reasonable.

There certainly is a need to have demo models at the the dealers, too, as folks like/need to see how they are built and drive, and some folks want it NOW, but the current system of having several, differently equipped, at every dealer ties up a lot of resources. It also can make for people getting a "new" Roadtrek that has hundreds of people already gone through it, and many test drives. That is how ours was. 15 months on the lot and about 300 miles worth of drives. In the new car business, that would probably be called a demo (basically used), but not in RVs. We certainly would not have paid anywhere near full price for it under those conditions (we got it at used price). Keep demos as demos,sell them as such, and have new come from factory stock (3 day delivery), or order what you need and want built (4 week delivery).

Now, for us, how about a Ranger roof, no drop floor, stock fuel filler, 190 style roof windows, 190 style cabinet above windsheild, generator underneath, propane underneath, compressor frig, macerator, furnace, 190 cooktop, 2 batteries on slide, 6.0 engine, limited slip differential, transmission cooler, aisle shower and toilet, add on cabinet by the kitchen, add on armoire, remote variable speed Fantastic fan, tire carrier, AC, microwave, inverter, tv antenna. NO leather, power sofa, rear table, aluminum wheels, bumper covers, fancy ground effects, two tone paint, surround sound, fancy radio with gps, overpriced tv.