Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2023, 08:41 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek RM2354 Gas Mode

I have a dometic RM2354 fridge that will not ignite on propane. The igniter sparks 3 times then the check light comes on and igniter stops. I can manually light the burner by connecting a battery to the solenoid and using a lighter so I do have gas. The solenoid valve does get +12v from the control board but for less than a second. Could this be a control board problem or is there a condition during trial-for-ignition that would cause this symptom? What is the process for replacing the control board on a P180? There is very little space behind the gas lines to remove the board.

Troubleshooting and repair advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gene
Mrchannman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 10:35 AM   #2
Gold Member

does the ignitor light the burner? if it does your thermal sensor might be out of the flame
3 times? do you mean 3 sparks or 3 separate tries with a pause between each? 3 tries w/pauses means no flame detected. try adjusting the ignitor, and try lighting it manually when the ignitor is clicking

edit- find the troubleshooting guide/repair manual for your model, very useful info. I did a whole bunch of troubleshooting to find 3 things wrong, pressure regulator was main culprit.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlillard23 View Post
does the ignitor light the burner? if it does your thermal sensor might be out of the flame
3 times? do you mean 3 sparks or 3 separate tries with a pause between each? 3 tries w/pauses means no flame detected. try adjusting the ignitor, and try lighting it manually when the ignitor is clicking

edit- find the troubleshooting guide/repair manual for your model, very useful info. I did a whole bunch of troubleshooting to find 3 things wrong, pressure regulator was main culprit.
Thanks for the reply. No the burner does not ignite with normal operation. If I connect a battery to the solenoid valve and use a lighter then the burner ignites. I think that eliminated regulator as culprit. I do get 3 quick sparks then check light comes on. I believe the control board is opening the valve but not leaving it open long enough to have any propane to ignite. Will look at manual again but I did not have success in past attempts.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
Gold Member

sounds like you have propane, and can get it lit full manual mode ,who knows if it's the right pressure .

if it were me , and I'm taking care of my safety , so I don't advise you do this ... I would use One of those 10-in long barbecue lighters. have someone turn on the fridge while you HAVE YOUR FACE AND BODY TO THE SIDE AWAY FROM THE FLAME FRONT and stick the lighter on the igniter/spark and where the flame would be on the thermal sensor. see if you get the fridge to light or stay on with just the barbecue lighter flame on the sensor. You might be able to narrow down if your igniter or sense is bad.

* the way I did this by myself was have shore power plugged in and I just unplugged the AC on the refrigerator while I had the barbecue lighter shoved in the flame area.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
Gold Member

I just checked my fridge same thing dometic 2354. with the gas shut off it tries to ignite for about 30 seconds. tick tick tick tick and it retries after a few minutes before the check light comes on.
Make sure you have the actual service manual troubleshooting guide not the cheesy installation. I'm pretty sure there's some troubleshooting for the controller. and I'm wondering why no one else has chimed in here did you do a search?? might be a common thread?
Old 06-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #6
Gold Member

https://fourwheelcampers.com/NewDome...atorManual.pdf

not sure if this link will meet forum standards
Old 06-21-2023, 03:31 PM   #7

Using Dometic Diagnostic Service Manual for RM2354 (and others) downloaded from manualslib.com
Dometic-RM2354-Diagnostic-Service-Manual.pdf
Curiously the circuit board in the manual does not match mine. Mine has only 2 fuse locations while the manual shows 3. Maybe there is another version of the service manual? I am considering just replacing the control board. At $200 for a dinosaur replacement I would like to be sure. Does anyone have advice on circuit board replacement in a Roadtrek P190? It looks like I may have to slide fridge forward to access the board.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:40 PM   #8

Roadtrek P190 RM2354 rear view circuit board access for replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230608_164151_HDR.jpg (175.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-21-2023, 04:06 PM   #9
Gold Member

there's two or three screws in a bottom flange on the back and maybe a couple of screws on the face inside. then it just slides forward. of course you have to bend or unhook the gas lines
Old 06-21-2023, 09:12 PM   #10

Thanks! Sounds doable.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:18 AM   #11
Platinum Member

When mine would not work on propane, I called and spoke with a knowledgeable rep at Dinosaur. He walked me through testing the circuit board with my VOM. We determined the board was defective. Installed the new board and problem solved.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 02:16 AM   #12
Gold Member

Agree with Deano, the troubleshooting guide should get you the same info that calling a knowledgeable fridge tech would get you. Id look at the board revision/updates to see if you have the correct one before buying a new one board. But it does sound like a possible control issue.

edit: there seems to be a lot of rust in the burner area, might try cleaning that up while your in there.
Old 06-24-2023, 05:45 PM   #13

Thanks. I have ordered a Dinosaur board. Hopefully this works but if not I think it puts me in a better position to get assistance from them.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:42 AM   #14

New dinosaur board fixed the problem. Was reasonably easy. Removed eyebrow board cover, fridge door, 4 front face screws and gas line then slid fridge forward far enough to access board. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2023, 05:42 AM   #15
Gold Member

would you mind posting the part number or any ordering considerations? thanks
Old 06-29-2023, 01:24 PM   #16

I ordered 385041501-A Dinosaur from Advanced Service And Parts for $198 including shipping. Board connection were the same as what was in the unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230628_194301.jpg (277.7 KB, 1 views)

Tags
control board, dometic fridge, propane