Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Roadtrek roof and sides - water protection?

The other thread here about an unfortunate water leak in a Roadtrek someone had recently purchased generated some thinking over my recently-acquired 2001 RT 190P. There is no sign of any water ingress anywhere inside, but mine was stored inside most of the time it wasn't being used. And since acquiring it, we have not had any rain during this heat wave.

I have gone up and re-caulked the fantastic fan on the roof, as well as the vent for the black water tank (I assume that's what that is protruding from the roof). CHecked the rubber seals on the 3 "skylight" windows at the front.

I have not seen any cracking or other damage anywhere on the roof, but am wondering if there are any seams on the roof and sides of my Roadtrek (behind the awning for example) that should give me cause for worry? There seems to be a rain channel running down each side the length of the roof. Are there any seams anywhere with caulking that should be checked from time to time?

P.S.: Having taken a bit of a look at my RT with a magnet, it's quite obvious that it consists of a moulded fiberglass roof on top of the original Dodge steel body, and the fiberglass is mated to the steel at the Dodge's original rain gutter that goes all around the sides and back. So I suppose the only places where a leak in the fiberglass can occur are:

1. the long connection where the roof mates with the steel body just above the rain gutter
2. the three "skylight" window seals
3. the fantastic fan mount on top of the roof
4. the plumbing vent through the roof

All other leak sources would be the custom window seals, and the Dodge door seals (side and back).

Thanks.
rstl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
Silver Member

Somewhat informative thread on leaky Roadtreks in this Good Sam Club discussion. Taking notes...

(BTW skip the tail end of that discussion which deteriorates into bickering and name calling...)

https://forums.trailerlife.com/index...d/13340228.cfm
rstl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

steele rubber products has replacement seals in hundreds of sizes/profiles

the paper catalog is great for matching up side profile dimensions

I have had a buncha old Cadillacs, everything on them easily replaced with Steele

I've referred a few RT owners for their 3 window seals- I don;t know if anyone has bothered to get a stock number for the correct profile

glass into new seals- particularly on flat window is very easy using grease and a piece of string

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote