Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RoadTrek Shower Valve

We have a 2006 RoadTrek RS Adventerous. The valve that you lift at the faucet to direct water to the shower will not stay up on its own. We happened across another couple this winter while we were passing through VanHorn Texas. (that is a whole other story) They were in a 2007 model and had the same problem. They were competent in machining metal and had crafted a little device that was forked shape and slightly bent. They used that to wedge under the valve and hold it up during showers.

I contacted him this week and he was kind enough to offer to create one for me and mail it to me.

My question is: This seems like kind of a poor design, if the valve was not designed to stay up while in shower mode. Was this how this was designed? Is mine defective? Am I missing something? Do other folks have this problem?

Before contacting Mike, the friend that we met in Texas, i attempted to use a clothespin to wedge the valve up. It kind of sort of worked for a bit...

Gordon
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: RoadTrek Shower Valve

Hopefully someone with the same fixture will have some advice.

Water pressure is what keeps the knob up on a home tub faucet.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If there's enough room along the shaft of the lifted valve stem (I assume there's a knob on the top),
you could use a small scissors/ratchet clamp, and hold it open that way. They're cheap and available
at hardware stores and home improvement places everywhere. Even Walmart might have them. I
got a pair of them at Canadian Tire. They are sort of like this, only they're plastic, and probably more
likely for woodworking or carpentry applications. They have padded grips.
http://www.homier.com/iit-metal-ratchet-clamp.html
I agree with Marko, in that it's usually water pressure that keeps it in the "shower" position, at least
in my house shower it is. If I turn off the water, the valve drops and redirects the water to the faucet
below.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Maybe info from my house experience will help.

My not-to-cheap Price-Pfister doesn't work well if my water pressure gets lower. I have a whole house water filter that reduces the psi a bit. If the shower pull thing doesn't stay up - its a reminder to me to change the filter. There was a bit too much play in the part in the faucet that slides up and down. I "thickened" the plastic part with layers of tape to reduce the play and that really helped.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Possibly, I should clarify a bit. I had hoped or wished that the unit had a way of locking itself in the up postion. That way, I could direct the flow from the very beginning of the shower to the shower head. By doing this, I felt that I could reduce water consumption slightly by not running the initial water down the sink. I have used the shower 3 times. In those three times I started the water, and quickly fumbled with the valve to redirect the water. I guess that during that process, I did not consider that it would work via water pressure like a home version.

The fork like prop that my friend has allows you to prop the valve open from the get go and direct the water out of the shower valve. This makes it easier to conserve the initial water that flows, while you are waiting for the temperature to become comfortable.

Gordon
Old 04-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

In my last RV, I would hold the knob up first and then turn on the water. I use a kitchen sprayer for a showerhead. The kitchen sprayer does not drip and lose pressure so the knob stays up no problem.

More info: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=33&t=621

You don't need two showerheads. Most people who do this modification just use the kitchen sprayer.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I made a "hook" using an old nylon hook used in childproofing cabinet doors. I had to sand it down some to make it the right height to hold the knob up. I also cut some material out of the hook section to make it hold better. I searched the internet but could not find these. Maybe I don't know what to call it or maybe they don't make these anymore.

Prior to that I had cut a short section of PVC pipe, then cut a section out of the pipe to slip it around the knob shaft. Worked OK but wife had a hard time putting it in place.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #8

Default our 2011 RS was doing the same thing-along

with a substantial leak around the hose connected to the valve. I replaced the washer with a thicker one and that solved the problem. The valve now stays up even with just water pump pressure.

I also replaced the hose and shower head with a metal hose and head (Camco 43713). I found the plastic hose annoying with its memory, while the metal clad hose just hangs. The Camco also has a on/off valve. Just $20 at a major internet seller and a much nicer solution if its not too noisy (metal hose moving around while traveling).

Bob 2011 Roadtrek RS
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote