Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.sym View Post
We have a 2018 Simplicity. We had a second battery added, they are both Group 31.

We also had the dealer install a Zamp Solar package with the combiner box on the roof. I added another 100 watt Renogy panel yesterday for a whopping 260 watts of Solar. Today was mostly overcast and the charge controller said we generated close to 60 Ah. The difference in price from the Zion to the Simplicity allows us to do a lot of extra additions to the van and still save a lot of money. The Zamp stuff seems pretty low quality compared to the Renogy cables and panel. I would have preferred to do it all myself but since I didn't want to get the run around regarding warranty in the future i asked them to do it.

Before the second panel went on we would get almost three days of use before needing a charge from the under hood generator. Mind you in the 2 weeks we have had it, it has rained a lot. The generator was one of the big reasons we went with Roadtrek over Winnebago. We arent AC people we run the fan almost always. TV and DVD are 12v units so don't require the inverter to be on. Basically the only time we use the inverter is to reheat leftovers, and when we run it i usually start the van during use.

Don't have buyers remorse, it is a great van for boondocking you just have to make it work for you...sure beats all those fancy extras on the Zion that seem to keep everyone from getting much use out of there vans because they are always in the shop.

i have the base zion with the tppl(thin plate pure lead) agm battery. all systems work terrific. I think your actually talking about people who put the ecotrek option on
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i have the base zion with the tppl(thin plate pure lead) agm battery. all systems work terrific. I think your actually talking about people who put the ecotrek option on
Ecotrek, Volt start, heavy granite counters, malfunctioning auto steps and awnings....etc.

I definitely appreciate the simple Simplicity.
Alex.sym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #23
Bronze Member

My Roadtrek Ranger came with a single 12v battery. I had it replaced with two 6v AGM golf cart batteries. They fit in the compartment perfect.
This increased the current by about 40ah. I have the same refrigerator, and it will last a long time. But I haven't checked how long.
I also have a generator.
I just completed a month, 6000 mile trip and never stayed at a park and ate two meals out. Driving was enough to charge the batteries. Only ran the generator for heat/cool or AC.
Only had inverter on to use 120vac, not needed to charge batteries.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote