Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek SIMPLICITY for handicap use

Hi Everybody,
Thinking of getting a Roadtrek SIMPLICITY for some light road trips but also has a another transportation option for our special needs son (7 years old). He is a quadriplegic and we currently have a minivan but the real issue is we need to do things while driving like suctioning him and occasional oxygen treatments and having some space to be in front of him and extra storage would make things allot easier for us. If I didn't need any of the mechanical operational in winter like the toilet or sinks could I drive this in the winter (Chicago) for taking my son to the hospitals and occasional outings? Also can you swivel the front passenger seat towards the rear and be belted in during driving or do you need to be front facing? Thanks in advance!
maksiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The seatbelt attaches to the B-pillar and to the left side of the seat, so it wouldn’t work when turned backward. It would also prevent proper deployment of airbags in a crash.

Side-by-side in the middle area might be a better arrangement for safety.

Seems like you’d have to take a lot out to fit a wheelchair mount alongside a passenger seat. Might make more sense to upfit a full-size accessibility van than to tear down a full motorhome. I’m thinking you might need a wheelchair lift as your son grows, too. There are custom van camper upfitters that might be able to work with you.

I get how you’re thinking and I hope you find some way to make it work!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

This reply is not on point for the Simplicity, but a few months ago I happened across a sales posting for an Airstream Interstate that had been modified to allow for handicapped access via the slider door. This model has kitchen and bathroom tucked all the way in the rear, so that the handicap equipment could be placed amidships. Here is a pic, just in case it shows anything that could be useful as a point of reference in your situation:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksiu View Post
Hi Everybody,
Thinking of getting a Roadtrek SIMPLICITY for some light road trips but also has a another transportation option for our special needs son (7 years old). He is a quadriplegic and we currently have a minivan but the real issue is we need to do things while driving like suctioning him and occasional oxygen treatments and having some space to be in front of him and extra storage would make things allot easier for us. If I didn't need any of the mechanical operational in winter like the toilet or sinks could I drive this in the winter (Chicago) for taking my son to the hospitals and occasional outings? Also can you swivel the front passenger seat towards the rear and be belted in during driving or do you need to be front facing? Thanks in advance!
Hi. Interesting dilemma. I've been in a chair [C6 quadriplegia] since 1987. I don't require suctioning but need lifts or ramps for all my vehicles. In the past couple of years I've been the "search" manager for an RV dealership and a dealer of accessible vehicles.
A small class B RV with generator is a good idea - just so expensive.
The option of a conversion van that AX brought up might be better. My full size Ford E150 has an inverter so you could plug in the suction machine [or my CPAP]. Adrian
adriandieleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriandieleman View Post
Hi. Interesting dilemma. I've been in a chair [C6 quadriplegia] since 1987. I don't require suctioning but need lifts or ramps for all my vehicles. In the past couple of years I've been the "search" manager for an RV dealership and a dealer of accessible vehicles.
A small class B RV with generator is a good idea - just so expensive.
The option of a conversion van that AX brought up might be better. My full size Ford E150 has an inverter so you could plug in the suction machine [or my CPAP]. Adrian
A guy from AZ suggested a van
adriandieleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #6

You may also want to contact the local independent living center in your area. The other two replies seem like good options. The ILC in your area may be able to hook you up with some people to see their modifications and help you to think through considerations as your son ages. Just do a Google search. Good luck.
schaal701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #7

Hi,

We are looking for a similar setup for our son who is severely disabled. He needs a caregiver sitting next to him so that he can be suctioned etc. He is on a ventilator so we need someone next to him at all times in case anything happens while traveling. One option that we are considering is the maxvan pathway. https://maxvan.com/pathway/ . The seating configuration could work but the passenger seats are not forward facing which is not ideal. I asked if the pull out bed could be replace with fold out bench seating but this is not possible since there are components under the bench. Please let us know if anyone has a a good suggestion for a class b that could be used for a wheelchair passenger with caregiver seating next to the wheelchair passenger. We would also consider a small class C.
DavesDad is offline   Reply With Quote