Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2022, 07:44 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Roadtrek Tan Paint

Has anyone come close to matching the tan/copper/brown paint that was used on the 2000-2004 Roadtreks? Seems like unobtainium?

Need to touch up my lower doors where the ground effects have been removed?
Thanks a lot

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
Has anyone come close to matching the tan/copper/brown paint that was used on the 2000-2004 Roadtreks? Seems like unobtainium?

Thanks a lot

It is very hard paint to match in my experience. I painted a door on our 07 and never did get a perfect match. At the autobody paint store I use, who is very good, they showed 5 different variant mixes for the color and I tried the 3 closest without great results.

Some would be close on the light/dark scale but look different in different light or viewing angles due to the "flop" of the metallic when sprayed. The mixes have different amounts or no "antiflop" additive in them.

You probably have holes from the clips when you remove the panels on the doors?

My guess is any rattle can paint will not match well at all.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:30 AM   #3
Gold Member

I just need something pretty close as this is temporary until I decide if I want to bit the bullet and get the entire van painted. I just want protection against the elements and a decent look from 20 feet or so.

It is always interesting buying a new used vehicle. You do your best to check everything but the honeymoon period is the most interesting when you discover all of the little gifts that have been provided to keep you occupied. I love getting something old that I like that is in stock unmolested condition and needs the TLC to bring it back to its original glory. It is a great hobby and provides a nice dose of satisfaction when I can drive an old vehicle that is as good or better than something much newer.

Back to the topic at hand, I will probably reach out to a place that custom mixes a color based on a picture and accept what I get. If i hit the jackpot I will share the wealth with all who are in need

It's all fun right?

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 05-12-2022, 02:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just need something pretty close as this is temporary until I decide if I want to bit the bullet and get the entire van painted. I just want protection against the elements and a decent look from 20 feet or so.

It is always interesting buying a new used vehicle. You do your best to check everything but the honeymoon period is the most interesting when you discover all of the little gifts that have been provided to keep you occupied. I love getting something old that I like that is in stock unmolested condition and needs the TLC to bring it back to its original glory. It is a great hobby and provides a nice dose of satisfaction when I can drive an old vehicle that is as good or better than something much newer.

Back to the topic at hand, I will probably reach out to a place that custom mixes a color based on a picture and accept what I get. If i hit the jackpot I will share the wealth with all who are in need

It's all fun right?

I saw the pic of your van on the other thread and that color may not even be a Chevy color as it is the ground effects color, not the van which was white.

The Roadtrek label on the door post may give you the color numbers as it does on our 07. It would have body color and the running board color.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:44 AM   #5
Gold Member

correct, i am looking for the tan color that roadtrek painted the bottom part of the door that was covered by the ground effect plastic. i will have a look at the roadtrek label

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 05-19-2022, 04:11 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Try Automotive touch up.com
I used iron my 08 Chevy. It’s close not exact with rattle can
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Sherwin Williams Automotive store in Portland OR matched my Mercury Grey HDPE by Vycom color using their samples, practically a perfect match. Salesperson used an old color chart and we use outdoor sunny weather to match. Very satisfied.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:24 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Default touch up paint

Quote:

Thanks a lot
I have a Dodge and used AutoZone rattle cans to do okay, not great work. I went by the paint code on the door of the van. BTW their clear coat turned my white a yellowish tint so I do not recommend it. However as others stated you may have a RT color. Our van began losing paint on our cross country roadtrip last summer. "Bev (RT's name,) is coming undressed," I thought. My touch up is better than peeling paint on a twenty year old RT. Still trying to get the hang of it all.
Have fun.
Steve
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:27 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Can you remove a part from the van that has the color you want? If yes, you can take it into an auto paint supply store and get it photo matched. They will mix up the color based on a scan of the actual paint. They need maybe about 1 square inch of a flat area to do the scan. I did this and the color they produced matched perfectly. I was impressed.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It is very hard paint to match in my experience. I painted a door on our 07 and never did get a perfect match. At the autobody paint store I use, who is very good, they showed 5 different variant mixes for the color and I tried the 3 closest without great results.

Some would be close on the light/dark scale but look different in different light or viewing angles due to the "flop" of the metallic when sprayed. The mixes have different amounts or no "antiflop" additive in them.

You probably have holes from the clips when you remove the panels on the doors?

My guess is any rattle can paint will not match well at all.
The variables so to speak in the color as you describe is what makes touching up very difficult if not impossible to achieve correctly. Completely depends on the viewing angle.

Regarding the holes - I covered those with 3m tape and re attached the black strips that were on the ground effects. Keeps water out of the holes and looks pretty good - but not stock.

www.roadtrek190.com