Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #281
Platinum Member

If average persons hadn't put out substantial monies for this stuff, I'd say this comedy of errors would be hilarious. But it isn't. The emperor has no clothes and it's not pretty.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #282
Platinum Member

Davydd: I'm not up to snuff on these battery systems. What happens to them during prolonged storage, in cold climates? Eventually everything will run down, no?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #283
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I just a call from an acquaintance who also has seen davydd's posts, saying that Yan Seiner just took a shot at ARV by saying they use off the shelf batteries with no BMS. He said Facebook , but not which site. Davydd is not going to like that.
I don't like it either, since it's patently untrue. It's a shame they need to stoop to lies. I used to have a lot of respect for Yan.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #284
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Davydd: I'm not up to snuff on these battery systems. What happens to them during prolonged storage, in cold climates? Eventually everything will run down, no?
ARV gives us a way to safely isolate the batteries for storage. You ensure they are fully charged, then follow the storage procedures. There are different procedures for storage with and without electrical hookup to ensure the batteries are protected.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #285
Platinum Member

I've got the two new Group 31 AGMs ready to pick up. We've figured out how to install them and RT is providing a schematic for the tech. All set for Thursday morning. We're leaving everything so that the next purchaser would have to option to get the ECOTrek lithiums in the future when all is de-bugged and allowed for retrofits.

Will I dare to leave on Friday to start the trek to AZ?

And perfect timing... I got my RT road service cards in the mail today.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #286
Platinum Member

So Roadtrek is saying all the proprietary electronics designed to maintain lithiums is perfectly OK to use for AGMs. Hmm.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #287
Platinum Member

Are they changing out your battery charger too?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #288
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
In cold climates you can consume lithium battery energy but you cannot charge them until their cell temperatures are above freezing. So in prolonged storage it might be best to simply disconnect the batteries when they are fully charged. Unused lithium should last up to 6 months. Or you could apply an external heat source. When we first got home last winter with our ARV with three days before taking off again it got down to -5F. As insurance and a bit of curiosity because I knew I might head out again next February I wanted to see if an external heat source could warm the batteries. I slid one of those 1500w portable oil radiators on its side under the battery bank and warmed the batteries up to 60 degrees overnight. So now I know I can head out in the winter at any time. It seems when the batteries are in use they stay warm. I am drawing 6-14 amps almost all the time. If you just leave it plugged into shore power the heating pads would come on. I'm not sure what I will do this winter. I'll probably experiment a bit.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:58 AM   #289
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
So Roadtrek is saying all the proprietary electronics designed to maintain lithiums is perfectly OK to use for AGMs. Hmm.
Not really... the added BMS taking up so much space in my limited cabinets will no longer work. but we are leaving in.

Other than that, the inverter and solar monitor are the same as with the AGMs. There will be some wiring changes which is why they are sending the tech the schematic, I would assume.

As I understand the charger is "in" the inverter? Same inverter for AGMs or lithiums.

Please excuse any huge errors as I barely understood the old converter/AGM systems...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:05 AM   #290
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Not really... the added BMS taking up so much space in my limited cabinets will no longer work. but we are leaving in.

Other than that, the inverter and solar monitor are the same as with the AGMs. There will be some wiring changes which is why they are sending the tech the schematic, I would assume.

As I understand the charger is "in" the inverter? Same inverter for AGMs or lithiums.

Please excuse any huge errors as I barely understood the old converter/AGM systems...
easiest way to remeber- roadtrek uses combination inverter/converter/charger.

for some reason manufacturers only call them inverter/chargers
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #291
Platinum Member

Make sure they have reprogrammed for the correct voltages and charging phased for AGM. Just dropping the batteries in is not enough.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #292
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
easiest way to remeber- roadtrek uses combination inverter/converter/charger.

for some reason manufacturers only call them inverter/chargers
Maybe they call them inverter / chargers because that's what they are.

Converters can supply their rated amperage at a voltage suitable for long term use in an RV. The converter in my van for example can supply up to 45 amps at 13.6v filtered DC with or without a battery installed as long as it is plugged into grid power.

Would the 12v side of your Roadtrek function if you removed your battery (if the battery failed for example)? If so it functions like a converter. If not then it is just an inverter charger.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #293
Platinum Member

I just have to quote the late Yogi Berra here: "It's déjà vu all over again."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took a while for a lot of information about E-treks to become public knowledge and it could be the same with information about the Ecotrek battery system.

Fingers crossed for Roadtrek & their customers that it's all sorted out quickly and that the system proves to be reliable for the longterm.

On the warranty / E-trek front these folks - The Etrek Blog | The adventures of new RVers - are getting their Roadtrek back from being repaired at the factory.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #294
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Are they changing out your battery charger too?
Wincrasher - is this photo from an Ecotrek unit?

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5665/...6552938b5e.jpg

it's 3/4 way down the page of your 2015 Hershey Show review: Wincrasher's Travels: Hershey RV Show - September 18, 2015

I noticed the jumper cables connected to the inverter. Any idea what they were connected to? Was it a functioning unit at the show?

It looks like the ZL Power unit used in other Roadtreks. LW Pure Sine Wave Inverter_ZLPOWER Electronics Co., Ltd.-EXPERT POWER SUPPLIER,uninterruptible power supply,UPS,solar inverter

It would be really cool to see Roadtrek switch to well known brand components for the inverter and solar controllers etc. Brands like Magnum and Outback and Bluesky have easy to find, readily available manuals and specifications.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #295
Platinum Member

I also noted the jumper cables on that e-Trek at the Hersey show. Also noticed how noisy the inverter/charger was while running. Not something I'd want while sleeping in the bed above it.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #296
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Wincrasher - is this photo from an Ecotrek unit?

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5665/...6552938b5e.jpg

it's 3/4 way down the page of your 2015 Hershey Show review: Wincrasher's Travels: Hershey RV Show - September 18, 2015

I noticed the jumper cables connected to the inverter. Any idea what they were connected to? Was it a functioning unit at the show?

It looks like the ZL Power unit used in other Roadtreks. LW Pure Sine Wave Inverter_ZLPOWER Electronics Co., Ltd.-EXPERT POWER SUPPLIER,uninterruptible power supply,UPS,solar inverter

It would be really cool to see Roadtrek switch to well known brand components for the inverter and solar controllers etc. Brands like Magnum and Outback and Bluesky have easy to find, readily available manuals and specifications.
Yes, this was under the rear sofa in the Zion SRT, against the driver's side wall. Several of their vans looked to have the same device in the same location.

They were charging one of those portable power packs from it. For what purpose, I don't know. Maybe so they could later jump start some of the vans.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #297
Platinum Member

aimspower LF inverter chargers are-gasp- rebadged zl powerstar inverter /chargers

their manuals for these models are much better than from zl power itself.

roadtrek has opted to buy direct. zl power LF used all over the world in many installations-far mor than the brands wincrasher sites

Power Inverter Charger - AimsPower

i have the 2000 in my zion-http://www.aimscorp.net/2000-Watt-Pure-Sine-Inverter-Charger.html

http://www.aimscorp.net/2000-Watt-Pu...r-Charger.html
Old 10-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #298
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Yes, this was under the rear sofa in the Zion SRT, against the driver's side wall. Several of their vans looked to have the same device in the same location.

They were charging one of those portable power packs from it. For what purpose, I don't know. Maybe so they could later jump start some of the vans.
Probably 'cuz all the lithium batteries were dead.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #299
Platinum Member

That's kind of my point Gerry. They're budget priced units.

You see it in both the pricing and the specs:

Outback inverter / charger:
Output Voltage Regulation +/- 2% for Outback
Total Harmonic Distortion 2% for Outback

Outback Power Inc. - Mobile Inverter/Chargers Sealed FX2012MT

From the Aims manual you posted:
Output Voltage Regulation 10%
Total Harmonic Distortion 7% to 10%

I just think using top shelf component brands would be good for the Roadtrek brand. Maybe they could offer the top tier components as extra cost options. Just my opinion
Old 10-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #300
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
That's kind of my point Gerry. They're budget priced units.

You see it in both the pricing and the specs:

Outback inverter / charger:
Output Voltage Regulation +/- 2% for Outback
Total Harmonic Distortion 2% for Outback

Outback Power Inc. - Mobile Inverter/Chargers Sealed FX2012MT

From the Aims manual you posted:
Output Voltage Regulation 10%
Total Harmonic Distortion 7% to 10%

I just think using top shelf component brands would be good for the Roadtrek brand. Maybe they could offer the top tier components as extra cost options. Just my opinion
why don't you tell them Mark. i have had no problem with my inverter/charger. powerstars are used all over the world.

the ecotrek issues-as far as i know-have nothing to do with the inverter/chargers

actually it appears more likely poor documentation-namely none-explaining how the systems work is the problem.

the ecotrek system has control panels and switches that none of the current ecotrek owners know how to work and the dealers don't know how to work-and no manual on this from roadtrek yet.

an example- the push button switch turning each lithium battery on/off. is it supposed to be on when van closed up or not. does solar panel charging work if the battery shut on or off. does being on or off work with charger.

etc. the answer is NOBODY KNOWS. thats why they are having issues. owners don;t know what they are supposed to do and when-sheesh