Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek - water and sewage

From looking at the pics of a 94 RT 190, it looks like the place where you attach the dump hose is right below the driver's door and that the place to fill up the fresh water tank is just inside the door on the passenger side. Correct?

That means that while you're dumping, or if you're at a cg with sewer connections, getting in and out of the driver's door would be impossible or at least a challenge. Correct?

In any rig, when filling up the fresh water tank, sometimes water splashes everywhere. Hard to control it, that's what water does. So there's a good chance of getting water all over the inside in front there by the passenger seat. Correct?

Has anyone had to deal with this?

Mar
hertinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek - water and sewage

Re: fresh water fill - you are correct, on the 1994 models the fresh water tank fill is located on the passenger door stepwell. You have to open the passenger door to access it.

Filling shouldn't be a problem. In my '04 the sound of the filling water changes as it fills up. Just slow down the flow as it nears the top (by sound). These tanks are not very large and do not take long to fill. You wouldn't need to leave it unattended while filling.

The sewer connection is lower than the drivers door. Access through the drivers door should not be a problem. Again, the tanks are not large and empty quickly. You'd really not have time to do much else.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Roadtrek - water and sewage

I would say "Correct",
The locations of the fresh water fill and dump accesses are where you describe.
"Incorrect",
As marko says, the driver's door can be used to enter/exit during dumping, but if your hose has any holes in it
waste can splash on your pant leg or socks/shoes, and occasionally your skin if you're in shorts and sandals.
To avoid this, I carry a 4' stepladder with me, and if I have to get into the van through the driver's side
door while dumping, I leave the window down and use the stepladder to climb in. It's awkward, but it can be done.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Why would you have to use the driver's door while dumping? This question confused me.
There are at least 3 other ways to gain entry to the van while dumping (passenger door, side door(s), rear door(s)).
Actually, on my '02 I wish they hadn't put the gate valve handle where it is inside the 60/40 side door. It means I
can't dump from my upper black tank to the lower one while the vehicle is moving which would be an asset in some
circumstances. Would have been nice if it had to be there, if they'd built the handle with an elbow joint so it could be
folded flat against the van frame when it's in the open position, so the door could be closed on it for travel without
damaging it. Perhaps there's a replacement gate valve with such a modification, I don't know.
"Maybe",
As for filling the fresh tank and spillage, yes it can happen, but as marko said, they don't take long to fill even at a
moderate flow rate from the source. Just try to keep an eye on the fill pipe hole as the tank fills, and remember
to be ready to either pull the fill hose out of the fill pipe then, or, to turn off the water source quickly at that time.
If there is any water spilled on the passenger side floor after filling, you could turn the dash hvac blower fan on,
towards the floor, and let it run for a bit to help dry the floor, if it's wet.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck in the search for your class B. It can be difficult to decide, when you see what's actually out there.