Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #21
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyde View Post
I have this issue and am doing the research to repair it.
Studing the side arms where the roller fits into the metal channels, I noticed that the wheel is attached to the side arm with an axle through the side arm, which is locked to the side arm with a C clip.
It would be unnecessary to detach the metal channel from the glass. Instead remove the C clip and move the arm away from the metal channel.
Does this make sense?
"I have this issue and am doing the research to repair it."

I don't understand what the issue is that you are trying to repair.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek window C clip

I am studying it from the inside, with the screen removed. From this vantage point the C clips can be seen, and there is quite a bit of room.

Also, I am thinking of attaching a bit of Gorilla tape to the top and bottom of that metal channel. The intent is to prevent the wheel from exiting the channel, when I do not want it to.
Boyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #23
Bronze Member

My major issue is the glass is separating from the hinge. A related issue is one of the side metal channels has separated from the glass. I have repaired (reattached) the metal channel to the glass with 3M VHB 4991 two sided tape.
Before attaching the channel to the glass, I was making sure I could remove the side arms without having to unglue the channels from the glass.

I have the glass secured to the upper portion of glass with Gorilla tape while i am getting ready (mentally confident)to do the repair.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #24
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
My major issue is the glass is separating from the hinge. A related issue is one of the side metal channels has separated from the glass. I have repaired (reattached) the metal channel to the glass with 3M VHB 4991 two sided tape.
Before attaching the channel to the glass, I was making sure I could remove the side arms without having to unglue the channels from the glass.

I have the glass secured to the upper portion of glass with Gorilla tape while i am getting ready (mentally confident)to do the repair.
Understood I think and thanks.

If like mine, 'when' the the glass separates from the hinge it will slide right onto the ground! Or, you don't have to remove the anything including the 3M VHB tape. Not sure, but if the window is shut, it might stay in place - for awhile?

I used tinted plexiglass which matches the other side very well, was/am pleased with it. This:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enough for 2 attempts, first attempt was not satisfactory, second well done. Should last forever? given the Huge weight difference.

I suggest that you stop the other glass from sliding right through the slides now with something you can remove later.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:32 AM   #25
Platinum Member

If you have e-rings on the actuator wheels, it would seem likely to me that someone has previously done the repair under the recall. The originals were riveted and you had to cut them off to repair the window. The recall kit came with e-rings.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #26

Do you still have that information? The lower part of the window actually fell off while I was driving. Now I have t figure out how to replace before the rains come.
Kim LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #27
Bronze Member

Hi, sorry, I am a little confused, it has been a few months. Can you elaborate on what information you would like? I am sure we can help you out, sorry to hear that you lost your glass. I like the solution of using Lexon, or the cheaper name for it is polycarbonate, a plastic. The brand name is expensive, the generic version is much cheaper. Bullet proof, will not break. However it will scratch.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #28
Mfm
Bronze Member

Hi Kim...my problem was the same as yours-while on the freeway the window flew off , never to be seen again. It had been closed and rattled open just before flying off. I should mention that the rollers and arms had been in bad shape.
I'm afraid I didn't find a reasonable solution, called a couple glass places near me-no luck. Ended up taking to RV sales and repair place and probably paid WAY more than I should have. They ended up replacing the entire panel. Very expensive. Everything matches perfectly, but expensive. I suspect the experts on this site will know a better and less expensive solution.
Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfm View Post
Hi Kim...my problem was the same as yours-while on the freeway the window flew off , never to be seen again. It had been closed and rattled open just before flying off. I should mention that the rollers and arms had been in bad shape.
I'm afraid I didn't find a reasonable solution, called a couple glass places near me-no luck. Ended up taking to RV sales and repair place and probably paid WAY more than I should have. They ended up replacing the entire panel. Very expensive. Everything matches perfectly, but expensive. I suspect the experts on this site will know a better and less expensive solution.
Mfm Thank you for the info. I can tell this is going to be a challenge. How did you know the arms were in bad shape? There are two larger windows on the van with the exact type window design. I should probably inspect them, but I am not sure what to look for.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Hi, sorry, I am a little confused, it has been a few months. Can you elaborate on what information you would like? I am sure we can help you out, sorry to hear that you lost your glass. I like the solution of using Lexon, or the cheaper name for it is polycarbonate, a plastic. The brand name is expensive, the generic version is much cheaper. Bullet proof, will not break. However it will scratch.
The lower half of my window fell off. I have a 2002 Dodge Road Trek Versatile. It is a CR Laurence window (approx 18.5 inches). I just started the search for a replacement and I can tell this is a daunting task. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kim
Old 09-10-2020, 12:55 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Okay, knock on wood, don't have a glass problem. But just how do you attach the screen frame to the glass frame??? - Roadtrek 210. My screens are good, but the frame is loose from the window frame!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:36 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Well...

Now it all makes sense..unfortunately. I wondered why my windows were permanently glued shut. Possibly one broke and the po just glued them all shut out of fear of losing the glass. Not being familiar with these windows until now I had no reason to check them before buying the van. Therefore, add this to your list of things to check when buying a used Roadtrek - or any other make for that matter as they probably used the same or similar CRLaurence window.

Am thinking about opening one up and attempting a repair, however the sealer used to glue the window in place appears to be the same stuff used to attach windshields in place probably some kind of urethane sealant, not certain if butyl tape is used anymore as it has been a while since I replaced a windshield. Most likely the rubber weatherstrip is destroyed and will need to be replaced as well.

Also one of the windows is missing both of the arm channels that are attached to the window - going to have to find some kind of solution for that. Am hoping I can source a piece of that and cut the new channels.

There is enough information in this thread and advice from members to get going on this. Hopefully the result is not a new window purchase.

Also, I have come across this and was wondering if anyone has had any dealings or experience with this service:

https://www.facebook.com/

Any additional insight would be great. I have to get some ventilation in place

KF
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
Sorry to hear it! Those windows (when they worked) were the best part of the Roadtrek. Our current van has awning windows (getting hard to find) but they are not opposite each other like in the Roadtrek. Gave a nice cross breeze.

I can sort of understand the previous owner gluing the window shut. It's pretty scary when a window just falls out of the van. Still, I would have been really motivated to get it fixed. Maybe they just didn't use the van in warm weather, or just ran the A/C all the time?

Good luck!
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:

Also, I have come across this and was wondering if anyone has had any dealings or experience with this service:

KF
The Facebook url did not post correctly. It was supposed to be directed to Jack,s Treks and CMD Glass

Manufacturing parts for older CR Laurence Windows, Specialize on Roadtrek Repairs. RV Technician focusing on house repairs and learning events. Teaching people how to properly detail and care for their motorhomes
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:12 AM   #35
Gold Member

Quote:
Well...

Now it all makes sense..unfortunately. I wondered why my windows were permanently glued shut. Possibly one broke and the po just glued them all shut out of fear of losing the glass. Not being familiar with these windows until now I had no reason to check them before buying the van. Therefore, add this to your list of things to check when buying a used Roadtrek - or any other make for that matter as they probably used the same or similar CRLaurence window.

Am thinking about opening one up and attempting a repair, however the sealer used to glue the window in place appears to be the same stuff used to attach windshields in place probably some kind of urethane sealant, not certain if butyl tape is used anymore as it has been a while since I replaced a windshield. Most likely the rubber weatherstrip is destroyed and will need to be replaced as well.

Also one of the windows is missing both of the arm channels that are attached to the window - going to have to find some kind of solution for that. Am hoping I can source a piece of that and cut the new channels.

There is enough information in this thread and advice from members to get going on this. Hopefully the result is not a new window purchase.

KF
Here are a few pics of my unglued window frame. Good thing is that the top hinge is intact as are the side brackets. Anyone have any proven methods for removing the hard sealant? I am thinking heat.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:55 AM   #36
Bronze Member

Do a facebook search for Jack Wood, he manufactures replacement windows for the CRL windows in Roadtreks. Uses acrylic with metal and glue fasteners. Good reputation.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #37
Gold Member

Quote:

Boyde- Can you advise if the 3M VHB 4991 tape that you mentioned above has held up for you with regards to holding the side metal channels in place? I have the sealer removed and both arms resting simultaneously on the glass. Just need to finish the job and would rather use the tape as opposed to gluing it.

Thanks a lot

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:39 PM   #38

Default window horizontal opening tube

My problem is different, but related. Someone removed both of the arms with the roller wheels on both of the rear side windows. Ragged stumps are all that's left. These are the arms that are welded on the horizontal tubes that plug into the geared opener. Also, the channel pieces that mount to the glass that the wheels ride in and disperse the opening pressure are missing (can't see any evidence they were ever there).

Any thoughts on where to find replacement tubes, or even parts for the arms? If needed, I can weld new arms on the tubes. And I need the two channel pieces that attach to the glass. I searched the CRL site and the web in general to no avail. Thanks!
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #39
Gold Member

Chevy Roadtrek C L Lawrence coach windows can be replaced with minor removal of window opening sheet metal and replaced with what appears to be a more reliable window of a different brand. Sunshine State RVs near Ocala Florida made the swap for me - not as inexpensive as DIY but I have been very please with the results over many miles and years. BJ BarHarbor
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:45 PM   #40

Default Curved vent window

I would like to replace my Popular 200 broken rear vent window with sheet acrylic following Jack’s Treks excellent instructions. The missing window is about 33“ x 9“ and curves 3/8 inch from top to bottom. I don’t know how I would avoid having a gap at the bottom after replacing my curved window with flat acrylic plastic. I have read all the posts on this forum and all other Internet posts I have found - none have mentioned a curved window.

I plan to use 3M VHB 111 tape to attach the plastic to the hinge. Jack makes no mention of using a primer here. What has been other readers experience. Prime or not, what primer or cleaner to use?
dnins is offline   Reply With Quote